Mpc2000xl short sampling time

memory upgrade if its available for the 2000xl. im not sure.

Akai MPC Forums - MPC2000XL Memory Upgrade.. : MPC2000xl, MPC2000

"go to www.oempcworld.com they sale the ram for the mpc. its called 72 pin sims . ebay is good too but this place has good prices plus youll know for sure your not gona get rip off or even if th ram dont work you can get your money back or replacement with out no problem..but to make your internet search more wider try looking for old pentium computers ram cause thats all the ram for the mpc is. I went to a local computer store in my city and just ask for it and got it, they didnt know nothing about a mpc. But it works cause its all the same. remember you want 2 16mb chips"

So yeah you need 2 sticks of 72 pin Simm RAM both 16MB. should max out your 2000XL at 32MB

Last edited:
How much you got now?
Go to sample (shift+4) and move cursor on Time and spin your data wheel until the time is maxed. If you have maxed out ram, you should see 189.2s there.

How much you got now?
Go to sample (shift+4) and move cursor on Time and spin your data wheel until the time is maxed. If you have maxed out ram, you should see 189.2s there.

Turns out my memory is maxed out. It seems the dude who sold me the mpc had done some work to it adding the memory and increasing the outputs to 8. The only thing I had to do was add the card reader. I was gonna add the effects card but I think using the effects on my sp 404 might be just as good if not better.

Nontheless, thanks to both of you for your help.

If the sample time isn't enough for your samples, you can always pitch samples up before sampling them and pitch them down in your MPC to make them shorter and save some sample time.
And of course remove all sounds you don't use in the track from the memory.. Never really had that problem myself, I only load the sounds I need and don't record full songs (like some people here seem to do, at least with the never models), just the parts I'm chopping up.

Peep the guy who said to sample at a faster pitch!!! I feel he is 100% correct (and I think it add something cool to the sounds!). Remember that people were making hits way before now so technology is nice but irrelevant.

My 2 pennies,

P

Dude... you are dealing with the year 1999 - 2000 technology. If you don't like the 32MB then you will definitely hate using an ASR-10, SP or older MPC's then.

Last edited:
I Beg You!!!!! Go Old School!!!!!

At least try it the old school way and sample you samples in at a faster speed and then pitch them down in the manhine

How much you got now?
nice one. was wondering why i could only sample a few seconds

I have an ASR but the same principles apply. I grew up on this machine and used to do everything inside of it and then dumped to (wait for it...4track). Anyway, I sold it and recently got one again and at this point i am using it as a sound processor. I might sample vinyl into it, add fx, etc and then it goes straight to my macbook where I arrange, etc. I think that is the best of both worlds. Plus you don't have to spend money upgrading hardware to get the job done.

Last edited:
Given the samples I load into it hold up to standard. Will the MPC2000 function as a cheap alternative to the MPC-60 for harsh RDJ styled techno?

Back