MPC User's Guide to the MV-8000

thunderkyss said:
Damn Ja, you do a pretty good job of deating. maybe you should run for mayor or something, I'd vote for ya

Agreed. Not that I agree with all the points..but jahome has officially out-typed me...and THAT is no easy thing. But that is just too much for me to bother with. Seems like the MV is the winner anyway...

Thisgs cost what they do depending on the costs negotiated between companies and manufacturers. Roland is a bigger company, has more components made and can simply get the costs down due to bulk. The MV is pretty much placed in 3/4 an existing mold form the VS 2000, etc They can get the same quality cheaper due to bulk. MPC's are priced by cost + profit margine. THe 1000 saved the company from implosion and they have upped the mpc prices to get out of filing bankruptcy and to line Numark's pockets. Notice how you get some crappy headphones, or "free" memory now but the price is higher...

Anyway, Roland updates their gear until it no longer can go any further...they rarely give up on products...if it is perfect and bugless...why keep going forever? I mean, are their new OS' for the mpc3k?

Like I said, the MV wins and there is no way around it and IT WILL WIN JAHOME over and he will one day be the #1 used MV dealer on eBay. :D

That post was garbage.

The MV-8000 takes through the entire production process from taking your samples off vinly or cd or from sample cd's to sequencing and laying down drums in either a pattern based or linear mode. Then the MV-8000 allows you to mix that project and even master it. I can then on the same machine burn my work to a CD and take that to a studio and tweak it some more if I want.

I can record vocals on the MV-8000. If I wanted I would never have to step into a studio again.

Against the MPC 4000 the MV does more and cost less.

Against the MPC 2000xl the MV does more and'll cost less after you buy all the upgrades that you'll need to make the 2k just not AS INFERIOR.

Against the MPC 1000 there is no comparsion. If you are thinking about a 1k or MV it should only be because you are never going to have more than one thousand dollars to your name.

The MV-8000 can be an all-in one studio. But only a fool would limit themselves to that. MV-8000 users can also make it the center of their studio, adding other equiptment.

I'm planning on adding the motif rack, and Alesis Micron and running it into a VS-2400CD.

Your arguments are lame. Re-read them, you flip flop on many things.

That's a big reason why I got an MV-8000.

Akai has turned the MPC series into nothing but a well-known moniker.

That post was garbage.
You are entitled to your opinion...but are a card carrying member of MV Nation for sure...do you sell patches like Trusty also :)

I didn't say that the extras the MV had are no good...I just said that they are no good for me...being a junkie and all that has put many tools in my set-up. I came at it from a long time MPC users perspective...and to be informative...

If you didn't know already, I will have the MV 8000, MPC 4000, and the MPC 3000 sharing space..they will be butt brothers :)

I just don't need my MV burning masters...when I get Wave Lab...that will be his job..

But, I can see where the MV-8000 is attractive to some...Again, my point is that there are always alternatives. Don't believe any hype until you demo all units. These machines costs thousands...do yourself a favor and make an informed purchase. I not calling any instrument trash...and as Trusty put it...I may head into the business selling MVs :)

Welcome aboard Future Producers (that have too much time on their hands)MythDaEmcee. Glad to have you.

jahrome, you are a member of mvnation as well. So I can't really see that as a snide remark...unless you really didn't mean it as one.

But, there was some garbage in your points.

1. Your tirade about the onboard sounds.
2. Hitting a pad can cause triggering of neighboring pads.

The first one is a bonus that should be applauded on Roland's part. And the second one was B.S. and made up. It has never happened to me or anyone I've ever known that has an MV. No one has had that happen. You read it nowhere...not like you read about the 4k crashing and the mpc pad's double-triggering.

But I digress.

I do agree that anything that costs thousands of dollars shouldn't be garbage...but sometimes instruments that are overly expensive end up being garbage... like the 4k. There are still more 2kxl's in pro studios than any other mpc. Not too many people cared for the 4k. I hardly see them in gear lists in the mags, and the other mpc's are showing up less and less.

Also, there are many types of pro studios and many, many other high-selling genre's of music than rap/r&b as well. MV's aren't a home musicians tool. It is fast becoming the
hip-hop producers, classical composers, remixers, DJ's, pop producers, and even some rock bands production tool of chioce. And the mixing and mastering tools have very little to do with that...other than for "on the road" uses. It is as powerful as the mixing and mastering on VS recorders...same "guts" and how many pro's use those over akai, tascam, and korg DAWs? Plenty. If you had half th epassion for the MV that you have for the mpc, you get tens times the use and functionality of it than all your mpcs and see why we are so happy with it and quick to recommend it.

And I sure do not see the need for all those mpcs, and a MV in your set-up. Gear junkie or not. YOu'll never bother using more than 20% of each machine. You are probably like me, you have expendable cash all over the place...but that doesn't mean you should always spend it on things that will serve no purpose. Like three romplers in the same set-up. ;) Just some advice for ya. If you want lots of gear, buy more analog and virtual analog synthesizers. Or even go crazy and blow your money on a modular system. And why have you not considered V-Synth? That is the king of samplers bro.

Wow getting really ugly.

The most important thing I got out of Jahrome's post, is that the MPC sells at a premium to the MV. The pricing/availability of the MV, has not put a dent in aKai's sales. heck, as trusty said, the price has gone up.

That doesn't mean the MPC is better than the MV, but it does mean some people are willing to pay for the Akai, even though it has less functionality than the MV. So the MPC has something the MV doesn't. Mojo, hype, sound, whatever it is, it's got it.

I stand by my orignal statement, that I am not willing to pay for whatever it is the MPC has.

Yes, I am a member of MV Nation and MPC Tutor....that was just a jokey joke. Keeping things light hearted..always :)
But, there was some garbage in your points.

1. Your tirade about the onboard sounds.
2. Hitting a pad can cause triggering of neighboring pads.

The first one is a bonus that should be applauded on Roland's part. And the second one was B.S. and made up. It has never happened to me or anyone I've ever known that has an MV. No one has had that happen. You read it nowhere...not like you read about the 4k crashing and the mpc pad's double-triggering.

So here it is in print...you said that it was BS and that it is no here in print...Pg #179 of the Operating Manual entitled Reducing Unwanted Triggering of the Velocity Pads...I accept your apology in advance :) As I said before...Roland does not publish their BUG reports unlike Akai...

No tirade about on-board sounds...they are what they are..just samples on a hard drive not available for me unless I get another MV in the USA or buy patches from you, Trusty :) I will gladly give you my business when the day comes when I need them...

There are still more 2kxl's in pro studios than any other mpc
I made this appoint already in another post. Most producers who have been using MPCs for years never felt the need to upgrade. Thus Kanye still using an MPC 2000..Dre still using a 3000..and even me..still mainly using the 3000 , my bread and butta. Phatt!

hardly see them in gear lists in the mags, and the other mpc's are showing up less and less.
Only new products are advertised. C'mon..that is no argument..I guess you haven't read the latest and greatest magazine dedicated to prducers and DJs, Scratch. An MPC is in over 90% of the interviewed producer's studios. I don't see this changing anytime soon but we will see.

It is fast becoming the
hip-hop producers, classical composers, remixers, DJ's, pop producers, and even some rock bands production tool of chioce
This is what you claim...I just haven't come across this info..I know there is more than R&B and Hip-hop...which the MPC rules hands down..and you know this man! Please pick up an issue of Scratch. You can even get them on eBay.

It is as powerful as the mixing and mastering on VS recorders
Very small market. Geared towards home recording.

If you had half th epassion for the MV that you have for the mpc, you get tens times the use and functionality of it than all your mpcs and see why we are so happy with it and quick to recommend it.
Passion? Maybe. But I am not hear bragging or big upping the MPC 3000. No need for that. We all know what it can and can't do. And even with that and an MV in my studio...I will still use the MPC as my main sequencer just like many other producers...much more. The MV may make a good showing in the next few years but we will see.

And why have you not considered V-Synth?
I was considering a V-Synth. But the sounds were not my cup of tea. I know you can program any synth...but the presets were heavy in trance..house..euro beat...etc. I am not Lil' John so I didn't feel the need to experiment with that keyboard.

You are right..I donot use any particular piece more than 20% with the exception of my MPC 3000LE. It is in use 100% of the time.

You are probably like me, you have expendable cash all over the place...but that doesn't mean you should always spend it on things that will serve no purpose.
Believe it or not, they all do have a purpose. Let's say you are a producer that is an MV fanatic :) And you want to take your MV porjects that are saved on disk to another studio. Well, my studio will be attractive to you. Lets say you love your Triton Studio and that you do everything in one. And my studio is the only place that has one..I would most likely get your business unless you wanted to carry your Triton around to another studio. See..I am putting together a production company/recording studio/record label. I will be looking for talent that have their own preferences of gear that they use. I will be able to satisfy their needs. So although I don't need them all, my customers and future employees may.
If you want lots of gear, buy more analog and virtual analog synthesizers.
I am. I just trying to decide whether to get the Andromeda A6, Moog Voyayer/Voyager rack, or an older analog synth or all of them :) Since I am moving to Oklahoma very soon, I have very limited space. I have MPCs all over my living room..on the floor..on the couch...I had to put my ASR-10 in storage due to room.

but sometimes instruments that are overly expensive end up being garbage... like the 4k
Gear bashing at its finest...but you are entitled to your opinion as always. We may never be able to prove the STATS on these items...but MY guess is, there are more MPC 4000 users than MV-8000 users. This is just from my experience as a salesman. MV-8000s have to be special ordered here...not because the sell out, but because there is less of a demand. This doesn't mean that the MV is garbage. It has its place in the market today....

Again, I have to add that I am not trying to tell anyone to get an MV or an MPC...but to inform potential buyers. This thread was told from the perspective of an long time MPC user.

I will be spending time with the MV-8000 again this weekend. It would be nice to hear a detailed account of another MPC/MV user pointing out the pros/cons of their unit. Not all PROs....When its all said and done, you buy the tools that fit your needs. No product is the ALL MEANS TO AN END..as others may suggest or imply.

Keep it comin..I ain't going nowhere :)

Last edited:
I would so get the MV-8k but i love reasons sounds AND my sound fonts. i do plan on getting the XV-5080 but IF i ever decide to go hardware ima get the 8k in a heart beat, i just like the work flow and everything of the computer. just thought id add my 0.02 lol

thunderkyss, this ain't ugly. jahrome and I ain't beefin' We cool. This is what we do...

jahrome said:
Yes, I am a member of MV Nation and MPC Tutor....that was just a jokey joke. Keeping things light hearted..always :)

I thought so. ;)

jahrome said:
So here it is in print...you said that it was BS and that it is no here in print...Pg #179 of the Operating Manual entitled Reducing Unwanted Triggering of the Velocity Pads...I accept your apology in advance :) As I said before...Roland does not publish their BUG reports unlike Akai...

Sigh...page 179 in the manual is the cover page for the chapter that begins the "Screen Guide". Nice try. What you are refering to is on 168...but it is there for Roland's benefit more than ours to cover themselves IF, and that is IF it ever happens and which there have been ZERO reports of it happening. So make it up and say it has happened to you. ;) Was there anything in the mpc manual about double triggering when you hit a pad??????

jahrome said:
No tirade about on-board sounds...they are what they are..just samples on a hard drive not available for me unless I get another MV in the USA or buy patches from you, Trusty :) I will gladly give you my business when the day comes when I need them...

With all htose romplers you got, you won't. ;)

jahrome said:
I made this appoint already in another post. Most producers who have been using MPCs for years never felt the need to upgrade. Thus Kanye still using an MPC 2000..Dre still using a 3000..and even me..still mainly using the 3000 , my bread and butta. Phatt!

I understand, while I had the mpc2kxl, I still used the XP-60's sequencer as well because it was my bread and butter and a much better sequencer than the mpc...imo

jahrome said:
Only new products are advertised. C'mon..that is no argument..I guess you haven't read the latest and greatest magazine dedicated to prducers and DJs, Scratch. An MPC is in over 90% of the interviewed producer's studios. I don't see this changing anytime soon but we will see.

I read scratch, remix, etc. I don't see them "all the time" in the "gear lists".
SOme of the biggest producers (Dre excluded) in hip-hop do NOT use a mpc.

jahrome said:
This is what you claim...I just haven't come across this info..I know there is more than R&B and Hip-hop...which the MPC rules hands down..and you know this man! Please pick up an issue of Scratch. You can even get them on eBay.

Nah, I see more SP-1200's, than mpc's for some reason...and it really isn't a workstation. Mostly Motif's these days...and computers.

jahrome said:

You are kidding right?????? Those are the BIGGEST selling hardware DAW's in its range. You crazy...every tour (Alecia Keys, Beyonce, etc...) has them on stage...Most "Access Granted", "Cribs", and other behind the scenes shows feature them in the studios...

jahrome said:
Passion? Maybe. But I am not hear bragging or big upping the MPC 3000. No need for that. We all know what it can and can't do. And even with that and an MV in my studio...I will still use the MPC as my main sequencer just like many other producers...much more. The MV may make a good showing in the next few years but we will see.

It has become my mpc30k. When everyone else is on the MV-800000000000, I will be using by by then "vintage" MV000. :D

jahrome said:
I was considering a V-Synth. But the sounds were not my cup of tea. I know you can program any synth...but the presets were heavy in trance..house..euro beat...etc. I am not Lil' John so I didn't feel the need to experiment with that keyboard.

Those are the standard onboard stuff. Remember that it is also the sampler and undisputedly the greatest hardware sampler ever for sample manipulation. I also have little need for the onboard sounds...but that isn't its strength. Its real strength is what it can do to samples...especially your own samples...

jahrome said:
You are right..I donot use any particular piece more than 20% with the exception of my MPC 3000LE. It is in use 100% of the time.

Well, you will learn that three or four pieces used 100% are better than six or seven only being used 20%.

jahrome said:
Believe it or not, they all do have a purpose. Let's say you are a producer that is an MV fanatic :) And you want to take your MV porjects that are saved on disk to another studio. Well, my studio will be attractive to you. Lets say you love your Triton Studio and that you do everything in one. And my studio is the only place that has one..I would most likely get your business unless you wanted to carry your Triton around to another studio. See..I am putting together a production company/recording studio/record label. I will be looking for talent that have their own preferences of gear that they use. I will be able to satisfy their needs. So although I don't need them all, my customers and future employees may.

Got ya. As long as they can generate the income to allow gear to pay for itself...I think it is probably a good idea then.

jahrome said:
I am. I just trying to decide whether to get the Andromeda A6, Moog Voyayer/Voyager rack, or an older analog synth or all of them :) Since I am moving to Oklahoma very soon, I have very limited space. I have MPCs all over my living room..on the floor..on the couch...I had to put my ASR-10 in storage due to room.

I prefer the Andromeda...the minimoog is hot, so I have the software version for that sound when I need that sound...but that sound has kinda been done to death. I think the Andromeda is the way to go...and buy trhe minimoog V whenever you need that sound.

jahrome said:
Gear bashing at its finest...but you are entitled to your opinion as always. We may never be able to prove the STATS on these items...but MY guess is, there are more MPC 4000 users than MV-8000 users. This is just from my experience as a salesman. MV-8000s have to be special ordered here...not because the sell out, but because there is less of a demand. This doesn't mean that the MV is garbage. It has its place in the market today....

The 4k has been out for a while now. We are barely over a year with the MV...we'll see what happens.

jahrome said:
Again, I have to add that I am not trying to tell anyone to get an MV or an MPC...but to inform potential buyers. This thread was told from the perspective of an long time MPC user.

But also from an inexperienced MV user. And there is the problem with some of your posts. That will change as your addiction to using the MV grows. ;)

jahrome said:
I will be spending time with the MV-8000 again this weekend. It would be nice to hear a detailed account of another MPC/MV user pointing out the pros/cons of their unit. Not all PROs....When its all said and done, you buy the tools that fit your needs. No product is the ALL MEANS TO AN END..as others may suggest or imply.

Well, that too is subjective, but we all find ways to push limits of gear, through inginuity, to get to the end we desire beyond specs to the results we are looking for with a unit (or units).

jahrome said:
Keep it comin..I ain't going nowhere :)

Obviously. :D

I will be working on Part 2 this weekend when I am further testing the MV.

I will be checking out the V-link function and also to see if the MV has an equivalent functions for:

1. Previewing samples from the hard drive without loading them.

2. Streaming samples directly from the hard disk...which means that you can play samples without loading them in RAM (saves a tremedous amount of time).

3. Word clock in/out for optimal syncing of digital soond sources

4. SCSI

5. High definition sampling support

6. Real-time control over filters, ptitch, LFOs, modulation, etc

Until than....

Peace,

Future Producers!

You two must really enjoy each others company.

I stopped buy sam ash to play with the mv again on my way home tonight

1) It dose take qiet some time to load up a new project. on the mpc that is not even a factor.

2) the screen is not cluttered at all imo. and i'm comming from the mpc. Its not cluttered at all,

2) I'm gonna have to dive into the manuall for a while to figure things out. i dont think, the one in the store had the updated OS because is never even saw the word parternn.

I'll be gettin my mv next week but i have a couple q's

Dose it have some kind of zone editing. I assume it would, its not that important to me considdering i'm comming from the mpc1000 where that did not exhist.

Dose it use the cd's as the mpc would use a zip disk? The reason i ask this is because i saw an option that said recover from cd, i wondered if it could save the project that you just adjusted back to that samae cd.

Last edited:
Those are the standard onboard stuff. Remember that it is also the sampler and undisputedly the greatest hardware sampler ever for sample manipulation. I also have little need for the onboard sounds...but that isn't its strength. Its real strength is what it can do to samples...especially your own samples...

uh..oh..You are peaking my interest...I may have to go back and sit down with one...but another keyboard?? I think I heard rumors of a rack version.

Sigh...page 179 in the manual is the cover page for the chapter that begins the "Screen Guide". Nice try.

I am not incorrect. You may have the original manual. I have a Japanese one that I can't read so I had to download the pdf manual from Roland. My information is correct. The notes on the MV do double sometime but it is not that much of a problem. When I used older Akai MPCs this happens sometimes. When it is too much, I just have the pads replaced....the sensors under that pads is more accurate description.

SOme of the biggest producers (Dre excluded) in hip-hop do NOT use a mpc.

Nah, I see more SP-1200's, than mpc's for some reason...and it really isn't a workstation. Mostly Motif's these days...and computers.
Trusty....I won't say that you are not telling the truth...so I will say that you just made a mistake. Biggest producers??? Dr Dre uses an MPC everyday...actually several of them. You said that you read Scratch?? I guess you missed the first issue...with Dre on the cover. Kanye West?? You missed the issue with him on the cover as well. He uses the MPC 2000. Eminem, more of a rapper but steadily building production credits, uses an MPC as well. Visit www.forat.com. This is where many producers go to have their MPCs (MVs as well) customized. I have all but one copy of Scratch, which is on the way...don't make me quote all the producers that use an MPC :)

And I do like the MV. I may even post a thread about what I think Akai should do for the next MPC....MPC 2500, MPC 3000XL, or MPC 4000XL (but the cost of such may hurt your bank). Actually the cost of a 3000XL would be a pretty penny as well...but I am all for it. I don't mind paying for professional equipment. Just like everyone should't be able to afford Pro Tools...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jahrome
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are kidding right?????? Those are the BIGGEST selling hardware DAW's in its range. You crazy...every tour (Alecia Keys, Beyonce, etc...) has them on stage...Most "Access Granted", "Cribs", and other behind the scenes shows feature them in the studios...
I didn't mean the way it came out. The VS is probably by far the best selling hardware porta-studios. They are geared towards home studios even though that are being used on the road..for some. I wouldn't doubt that you may have seen them in someone studio but it is probably sitting in the back collecting dust. I have even owned a VS recorder...a VS 800 or 880, I think. My girlfriend paid over $2000 for one back in 1998...it is worth $150 now.

I still used the XP-60's sequencer as well because it was my bread and butter and a much better sequencer than the mpc...imo
Than you would choose that over the MV as well. A sequencer is a MIDI recorder/arranger. There is no hardware out there that can compete with the sequencer section of the MPC. Akai took the idea..expanded on it..and made its layout the standard. The MVs sequencer is a re-hash of the MPC. Almost identical. From the number of banks, pads, tracks, etc. I understand everyone has opinions but...I can't understand how anyone can state this. The XPs sequencer?? I won't justify that with a response :) If the MV had no time stretch or audio tracks.......

Last edited:
I was just saying that I was custom with the XP's sequencer the way you are to the 3k. Familiar and it being the first sequencer I used makes it nostalgic or someting. Everyone is partial to their isrt anything. See what I mean? But the MV's sequencer is way better than the XP's and miles ahead of the mpc's sequencer.
Things the the mpc's sequencer does not have:
Audio Tracks
Realtime timestretch
Audio Tracks inside patterns
Pattern tracks inside linear sequencing
1/4 notes, 1/2 notes, whole notes, dotted notes, etc...the mpc can only go up to 1/8 notes...
Rests and ties...
Track panes

The V-Synth does have a rack...but it is actually more expensive than the keyboard version. But it has a color touch screen and all the functions of the keyboard and comes included with the expansion cards that you have to buy seperately for the keyboard.

I did say "Dre Excluded" and I don't think Dre actually uses the five mpc3k's in his studio...his ghost producers do. :D

jahrome said:

Yes.

jahrome said:
2. Streaming samples directly from the hard disk...which means that you can play samples without loading them in RAM (saves a tremedous amount of time).

No.

jahrome said:

No.

jahrome said:

No...No point.

jahrome said:

???

jahrome said:

Yes.

I did say "Dre Excluded" and I don't think Dre actually uses the five mpc3k's in his studio...his ghost producers do.

Trusty, trust me on this one. Dre uses the MPC 3000 for drums and sequencing keyboards. He has been for sometime now. Who do you thing turned his Ghost Producers into MPC 3000 users? Dre uses the sampler in the MPC 3000 for his drums. So does Eminem, Daz Dillinger, Mel-Man, and other producers that have worked under him. Dre doesn't sample phrases from records. His drums have been amazing for so long using these tools...I don't think he will ever change.

All I am saying is that he probably doesn't touch any of it anymore. He tells other people what to do with them. I'd bet he doesn't actually "make" too many beats these days. That's all I am saying.

Trusty, you cheated me out of hours of pleasure :) I am just borrowing an MV. My MV is on order. When It does get here, I am getting it customized and I will send pictures with it sitting happily next to my MPC or it might deserve a spot by itself.

quote:

Yes.
I will demo this for sure.

quote:

No.

Hopefully Roland can add this in the future. The MPC 4000 has this feature as does many highend software based samplers. No need to chew up memory or load up large sound files, when you can just stream from disk. I love this feature in Motu's Mach 5 sampler that just receive an upgrade(words from Namm!)

quote:

No.

If you were going to use the digital outputs of the MV and incorporate it into a studio with other digital gear...this is something that needs to be looked into getting. It will probably do just fine but a stable clock source is needed or you will get pops and clicks in your audio which is a pain in the butt. If you are just using its analog outs, like I do with the MPC 3000, than it is not needed. The 4000 has this function though.

quote:
4. SCSI

No...No point.
Maybe..from the standpoint of someone that never used older samplers before. Some newer model samplers and synth/sampler comnbo units don't have SCSI but many more have this feature than not. But I have compliled years of samples and song files on a zip disks. A SCSI port will allow me to transfer these files easily into the MV. My MPC, Triton Studio, and ASR(which is still boxed up) have SCSI. This is nice for me but some may not need this option. It is worthy to look into and consider, IMHO.

quote:

???

The abilty to load sample files that were recorded at 96Khz. I know only the MPC 4000 has this feature and that any newcomers (not calling anyone a newcomer...shoot, after 14 years..I am still a newcomer) may not need this because they are probably not using Pro Tools, Nuendo, etc and high definition AD/DA converters...I just thought I'd throw that in :)

quote:

Yes.
Will look into this for sure.

Until then...

Peace to all on this site!

jahrome said:
Hopefully Roland can add this in the future. The MPC 4000 has this feature as does many highend software based samplers. No need to chew up memory or load up large sound files, when you can just stream from disk.

Hmm.. 4k didn't have that when it came out. other z-series did tho.

jahrome said:
Maybe..from the standpoint of someone that never used older samplers before. Some newer model samplers and synth/sampler comnbo units don't have SCSI but many more have this feature than not. But I have compliled years of samples and song files on a zip disks. A SCSI port will allow me to transfer these files easily into the MV.

SCSI is a dying breed. SCSI-ZIP drives are no longer made, i think that alone is a good reason not to support it anymore. USB is as good, even better.

All I am saying is that he probably doesn't touch any of it anymore. He tells other people what to do with them. I'd bet he doesn't actually "make" too many beats these days. That's all I am saying.

You are speculating....But it doesn't really matter if he touched physcially touch them his self or not. They are always used on his records. The sole sampler in his studio.

But...his exact quote is.."I love using the MPC3000. I like setting up like four or five different MPC3000s, so I don't have to keep changing disks"

Those disks are zip disks in case anyone was wondering...

If Dre was ever going to touch a sampler, you can guarantee that it will be an MPC3000...Why, when there are newer alternatives like the MPC 4000 and MV? You will have to ask Dre because I don't know him or ever met him. My guess is that he never felt the need to change...just like me. No matter what is in my studio, drums and drum sequencing will always be done on an MPC 3000 for my tracks.

Well, I record at 24 bit 96 k sometimes...but mostly at 24 bit 44.1...the 24 bit is all that matters to me in my recording...It all dithers to 16 bit in the end for CD though. I don't like my samples THAT sharp though...not until I record them...if I choose a higher rate in Sonar...which I can go up to 192 and even beyond with the newer updates I think...no need for me to though, 96k is highest I'll ever use and only for certain things. Now if I had a baby grand piano in my studio things migh be different. ;) So, like many a great samplers out there...16 bit 44.1 sampling is fine by me. :D

I like the streaming from disk idea for desktop samplers like my Proteus X...but I don't find it neccessary for the MV.

I personally don't like using digital cables much. I like the colorization of the signal through the MVs converters, and with everything I record, I like to use some outboard processing and quite a few of the things I use around here for dynamics do not have digital ins...so no point there...and that goes for a lot of people.

SCSI is just dated...transfer to whatever to put in your computer and save to CD's...Zip saeems silly these days as well.

Of course, with any samplers and the unlimited drum samples available...along with drum synthesizers (my preference anyway), you should never rely too heavily on an old library. I like to use different drums and with the unlimited options available...it is easy to never use the same kick twice...and all this is before processing them with eq and compression. I like to use software drum synths like Attack, and RM IV, and several freebie drum synths and sample them and layer them in the MV. I do my best to avoid using anything over and over again...and I "sample" with my samplers as often as possible.

If I need a good clap...I'll clap into a mic a bunch of times...chop it up and layer the claps... I do not see why every one buys samplers and would rather "import" .wavs instead of micing up the sampler and doing something themselves... Oh well.

Back