Mpc question

WestCoaster

Watsup guys,
I'm starting to get serious about making beats and I want to step my game up. I was wondering what the cheapest mpc would be? I don't have a large budget at the time I've been working off of an mpd8 in fl studio. Would getting an mpd 32 be a smarter choice? I was wondering what the difference is? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

if you got 5 or 6 benjis you can cop a 500 off amazon. just google it. i google at least 50 times a day for questions and i ALWAYS find an answer no matter how random haha

Hardware definatly does. On my MPC 2500 the same drums I used in FL I loaded onto the machine sounds a lot more crisp with not even any EQ on it. I started out on FL it's an amazing program but hardware is more legit in the end. I copped a Roland fantom x6 and the sounds are so realistic and lush. Definatly wanna make a upgrade if you can. FL is great though I love it

Last edited:
Dont get fooled into the "hardware will give you a better sound"....not just any old hardware combination will give you a better sound. Quality hardware will give you more character, which could be equated to better sound. Buying an MPC and recording it through a crappy consumer interface will not yield a better sound, just different sound. MPC + Quality DI+ Quality Preamp+Quality Converters will give you a more rich sound. Buy an MPC for the workflow, not the sound. An MPC 3000 going through a Firebox or Mbox mini is not going to sound anymore pro than FL guaranteed.

Dont get fooled into the "hardware will give you a better sound"
This. Buying an mpc does not equal to stepping your game up, practice does. A sampler is not a magic tool, it's just one approach to making music. Some people like the workflow, but many seem to think that it's too slow.

And if you are looking to get better sound DO NOT get the 500.. Get the 2000XL or the 2500.. There are a couple more to but those are expensive as hell.. The 2500 would probably be the one you will be most happy with as a FL user with no experience in hardware.. The 2000XL is great, classic.. But if you´re not a gearhead that must have vintage shit i would recommend the 2500..

I too was a FL user that bought an MPC.. I bought a 1000, and the fact of the matter is this. It does not make u a better producer, it sets you back to start.. You have to learn everything from the beginning and if your just looking to step your game up, i would just put more hours into FL studio.. But if you really enjoy making beats, you love the history behind it, love just playing with chops, figuring out what to to with a loop etc, then an MPC would fit you just fine.. I love waking up in the moring, firing up my baby, looking out the window, and just making beats while the sun is reflecting on the 16 pads.. no feeling like it..

But yeah, if someone asks me for a beat, and i want to make something really hot.. i still use Fl ^^

Hope you gained something from this, haha..

Get the mpc1000 ,you can find um for super cheap on Craigslist.
The mpc2500 and mpc1000 are very close in features.
Its a beast for the cash.

maschine is a very very good choice for you because its only 500 bucks and comes stock with really really good sounds and sampling on it is just so much easier than a mpc. I had the 2500 for a while and sampled a few beats here and there and is good for a hardware setup with a motif or fantom but is more work to set up channels,midi,browsing for sounds especially if there not categorized right,and the not so fun tracking individual sounds which is a *****.Not going against mpcs im just saying that it sometimes more work instead of getting right down to making fast music when you got to get it out. And no a mpc will not step up your game it will only give you another device to create on in a different manner or increase or workflow compared to fl studio.i was actually wanting a mpc myself and i already have maschine but any mpc out right now is kinda behind on the level that maschine is on even the 5000 is just a barley upgraded 2500 with hard disk recording and a built in synth engine but thats it and older mpcs i would not trust just cause of outdated parts and the outdated compact flash cards. Maschine is the best thing for you right now man i would not point you in any other direction

All of the 16 bit mpc's (going back 15+ years) will sound about the same.
Many say the 3k had a special sound, but now you have people saying that about the 2k also.
I owned a 2k, and it sounds pretty similar to my 500 which sounds pretty similar to a budget interface.
In other words it don't matter.
Hardware is different way to go about the same things.
I like hardware for the non windows way of doing things that plagues our everyday life/work life.
I like making beats on pc's too, but having other options is nice as well.

I've been making beats on my PC using Fruity Loops for years. I just don't like how bad my PC. Memory wise, RAM wise, everything. I'm slowly starting myself to convert to using the hardware I already have. And use the PC in other methods.

Back