MPC 4000 question

J

Juxtapose

Is it possible to create an entire song via an mpc 4000 and turntables (given that I have records mixer etc)? If so, what would the MPC need in terms of upgrades (ie ram upgrades, analog in/out etc)? If not, what other hardware/software would I need (I have a G4 iBook)? Thanks a lot and sorry if this message has already been posted there is no forum search and i scanned 20 pages now I'm tired....

Oh by the way this question was sparked because I heard RJD2 created the entire DeadRinger album with just (or at least mainly) an MPC 2000 and his decks +mixer.

Thanks again,
Juxt

Now if homeboy created an entire album with just a rinky dink 2000 and turntables, what makes you think you won't be able to do that with a freakin 4000??? If you just plan on making sample based beats, you should be good. If you're more into synths, I would recommend going with a keyboard workstation or even an MV-8000. It's gonna be a ***** multisampling instruments in the 4000.

Aight, so first of all clarify this multisampling business. Secondly, do you think it'd be possible to create songs/albums from simply an MPC 4000 (regardless of whether RJD2 can or can't cuz i'm not sure that's true)? And lastly I just wanted to mention that I was planning to take a DJ Shadow/RJD2 "sample-based" view towards production meaning that I'd probably just be digging for loops and what not. Am I totally mislead to how sample production works or is it simply just loops (with of course sampled snares drums etc to make "original beats"). Like, if you've listened to Ghostwriter by RJD2 isn't that mostly just looped samples (like the guitar?)

well the mpc4k dosent burn sounds as audio. so youll need sumthing to record into.

try the mv8000

You could definately get by with a 4000 if you're mostly sample-based. Don't worry about that. And you can always get synth samples or whatever from bigfish audio for your basic sounds. The MV 8000 is more versatile but you can't record or sample anything in 24 bit, which is not that crucial unless you're producing for Britney Spears or something. If you're primarily sample-based, just cop a 2000xl or 2000 and save your money for weed, girls, whatever. An even doper idea would be just to cop a yamaha Motif 6 and just sample and chop off of that, and plus you have the best sounds for bread and butter. Kind of use it like a new age ASR. They going for only a thou brand new now. But you can definitely make heat with just a plain old 2000, no need to get anything else crammed with features you probably won't ever use. Word man.

geez...I really don't understand the advice given above. No offence, I guess I just disagree.

I think..
- you can make the music you want to make with your current setup, and nothing more.
- sampling in 24bit (which the MPC4000 does) is the bomb, to me much preffered to 16 bit.
- you don't need an MV-8000 or whatever...I don't care what it does, you don't need it. If you have a MPC 4000, you should build your studio off of it.

I don't own an MPC or a MV-8000, but I own a LOT of Roland gear, a JV1080 sound module (great if you're into bubble-gum pop music), and the 'Virtual Studio 1680' - which was another "has it all" Roland product. Don't believe the hype. Roland just wants to make money like every company, and they'll say and imply anything to sell their gear....whereas Akai just has poor marketing all around...oh well enough from me. I just couldn't believe you guys want him to trade his MPC4000 for an MV8000. To me that sounds insane in the membrane.

p.s. I base this on the fact he said he wanted to do sample-based music like R2 and Shadow. If deeper textures etc. are needed for different type of music, then yes a gear change is in order. But for what he's after, it sounds like he's set.

Thanks yall, I think I'm gonna do that then. By the way, I DON'T have an MPC 4000 yet. I'm trying to get convinced enough to drop the cash to get one and I think you guys did the trick. One last question....how's ebay's reliability? Is it safe to buy an MPC 4000 off of them (ie fraud or bad items?)? Thanks yall. Peace

I dunno...can you afford to lose $3500 if the Ebay seller is a fraud? I LOVE Ebay like the next guy, but I personally probably wouldn't buy something so expensive over Ebay (unless I could hand-deliver the cash etc.) I'm too paranoid for that.

...but if the persona has like HUNDREDS of positive feedbacks, you'll probably be safe (maybe.)

gballin123 said:
Madlib made a whole album with a SP-303 and a turntable. Now what makes you think you cant wtih a mpc4000?
and what pray tell album is that? everyone keeps sayin that madlib does all this and that wit jus an sp303?

yo i jus copped a zoom 224 n ain't got nowhere yet..learnin is a mutha..

one

if you do buy from ebay, make sure the seller has a lot of feedback, and make sure it is almost all positive feedback. make sure that the seller has sold other high selling items, and that the transactions went smoothe, and the buyer left positive feedback. also, be sure to use an escrow service or something like that if you buy it...dont send them cash or check or something like that.

If you're really set on an MPC 4000, then get it. Because if you get something else you're not feeling, you're just going to kick yourself in the ass for not getting it. Or you would sell what you did get and then buy it which will waste more time you would spend mastering you're equipment. It still kind of sounds like you're on the fence because you don't know what kind of features certain kinds of equipment have, which isn't a good thing.

Like I said, the 4000 probably has alot of features and extras that you probably won't need or ever use, so why spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for nothing. It sounds like you can probably get away with a 2000xl, which alot of producers use, and it only costs a little over $800.

If you're getting a 4000 off of ebay, just make sure the guy has good feedback for selling stuff. I would say 8 at least. It doesn't have to be hundreds, although that is quite relieving. But not everybody has the time to sit on their ass all day staring at a computer becoming a power seller. I would'nt spend more than $1800-$2000 for one although they do sometimes go for more. Always do your transactions through paypal, and never and I repeat never give anyone the time of day if they send you private emails out of nowhere selling for a ridiculous price or any price.

And jizzer, the Mv-8000 is a far more versatile machine than the 4000. The last thing we need is MV vs. 4000 round 1,887,654, but it's honestly the truth. Pound for pound, in terms of what they can do, MV wins hands down no contest, and I could care less for either one.

Oh, yeah, and if you're extremely paranoid about somebody ripping you off, pm a guy named jahrome that's a member here. He's a very trustworthy guy I can personally vouch for and they don't call him the number one MPC seller on ebay for nothing.

Just "bought it now" off ebay, the mpc 4000 that is. 60gb harddrive, 272 mb Ram, 8 output add-on. $2000 mint condition. Will be recieving it in the next week or so. Damn I'm hella ready.

Juxtapose said:
Just "bought it now" off ebay, the mpc 4000 that is. 60gb harddrive, 272 mb Ram, 8 output add-on. $2000 mint condition. Will be recieving it in the next week or so. Damn I'm hella ready.

congrats dude:cheers:

hope you have fun with it!

Congrats. That is a very good price. There will always be a war of words regarding which piece of equipment is better...well at least for the people that aren't making any music such as myself :) If you learn the MPC 4000 and use all its features, you will not be disappointed. No, it doesn't have real time time-stretch...but you sample a phrase. Tell the MPC how many bars the sample is and it will give you the tempo. Than use its time stretch features to your liking. You can use 4 multi-effect at once. It has plenty..plenty of filters and effects. You can stream large samples straight from its hard drive, so you don't have to spend alot of time waiting for samples to load. The screen is large enough to edit samples easily.....I can go on. But enjoy your MPC 4000 and make some music.

Back