MPC 1000 and MBOX 2 HELP NEEDED

C

cise213

How do you synce an MPC 1000 with your MBOX 2 in Pro Tools? Can someone give me specific details...Thanks 1One

In the July/August Issue of Scratch Magazine Eric "Ibo" Butler adresses this exact question:

"I haven't tried it myself, but in theory, it should be easy. I'm thinking that the Mbox II probably has a MIDI OUT port; from there you go to the MIDI IN port on your MPC 1000. You set the 1000 to read MIDI Time Code. In Pro Tools, you need to go to your Audio/MIDI set-up page. Hold down the open Apple key and hit the number two (assuming you're using a Mac) and a dialogue box will come up that allows you to tell it to generate MIDI Time Code. Then, pull up the transport bar, which is the bar you see on the screen with the PLAY and RECORD functions. There's a clock on the left side of that bar. If you punch that clock, that's going to put Pro Tools online. What it's doing is generating Time Code. Set your MPC to receive Time Code on input 1 or input 2 or whatever input it is you patched your MIDI cable into. Hit play at the Pro Tools and your MPC should follow."

I've never done this before...I was reminded when I saw your post. Hope this helps.

I just did this this weekend with ProtoolsLE6.4 on an 001 through a MOTU MIDI interface connected to my mpc1000.

1 Setup the MPC to recieve midi time code
-in the midi window, in the sync tab, in should be the port that the mpc is connected to your midi interface (the mbox midi out). That's it on the mpc's end.

2 Setup Protools to send machine control
-navigate to Setups>Peripherals in the Machine Control tab, enable MIDI Machine Control. Select the midi port the mpc's on. That's it.

Hopefully I didn't miss a step, but now when you press play in protools, the mpc will play, and stop when you stop, when you enable a record track, if your audio's being fed into the mbox, you should be able to record. I'd use the digital connections (I'm not sure what the mbox2 has), then you don't have to worry about setting the mpc output levels. Great for recording loops out of your mpc for further chopping. :)

Also the tempo rate in protools will be used by the MPC, so don't forget to set the tempo in protools.

This is a list of what I'm using, since my setup is a little different.
Protools LE 6.4 on an 001
Dual P4Xeon CPU with WinXP Pro
MOTU MicroLite midi interface
mpc1000 (black, I think they're all the same tho)
all patched through a neutrik patchbay and Mackie 16 channel mixer

I started messing around with this Friday, and just got it to work great. I just wish I could get the MPC to control tempo instead of Protools. I've had little success with that and am not sure it's even possible. You know digidesign...probably need to spend ca$h to get that.

Last edited:
mr.brad said:
In the July/August Issue of Scratch Magazine Eric "Ibo" Butler adresses this exact question:

"I haven't tried it myself, but in theory, it should be easy. I'm thinking that the Mbox II probably has a MIDI OUT port; from there you go to the MIDI IN port on your MPC 1000. You set the 1000 to read MIDI Time Code. In Pro Tools, you need to go to your Audio/MIDI set-up page. Hold down the open Apple key and hit the number two (assuming you're using a Mac) and a dialogue box will come up that allows you to tell it to generate MIDI Time Code. Then, pull up the transport bar, which is the bar you see on the screen with the PLAY and RECORD functions. There's a clock on the left side of that bar. If you punch that clock, that's going to put Pro Tools online. What it's doing is generating Time Code. Set your MPC to receive Time Code on input 1 or input 2 or whatever input it is you patched your MIDI cable into. Hit play at the Pro Tools and your MPC should follow."

I've never done this before...I was reminded when I saw your post. Hope this helps.

I saw that in that magazine, but it didnt help much, thanks tho

xeronine said:
I just did this this weekend with ProtoolsLE6.4 on an 001 through a MOTU MIDI interface connected to my mpc1000.

1 Setup the MPC to recieve midi time code
-in the midi window, in the sync tab, in should be the port that the mpc is connected to your midi interface (the mbox midi out). That's it on the mpc's end.

-navigate to Setups>Peripherals in the Machine Control tab, enable MIDI Machine Control. Select the midi port the mpc's on. That's it.

Hopefully I didn't miss a step, but now when you press play in protools, the mpc will play, and stop when you stop, when you enable a record track, if your audio's being fed into the mbox, you should be able to record. I'd use the digital connections (I'm not sure what the mbox2 has), then you don't have to worry about setting the mpc output levels. Great for recording loops out of your mpc for further chopping. :)

Also the tempo rate in protools will be used by the MPC, so don't forget to set the tempo in protools.

This is a list of what I'm using, since my setup is a little different.
Protools LE 6.4 on an 001
Dual P4Xeon CPU with WinXP Pro
MOTU MicroLite midi interface
mpc1000 (black, I think they're all the same tho)
all patched through a neutrik patchbay and Mackie 16 channel mixer

I started messing around with this Friday, and just got it to work great. I just wish I could get the MPC to control tempo instead of Protools. I've had little success with that and am not sure it's even possible. You know digidesign...probably need to spend ca$h to get that.

thanks Ima Try it today

Last edited by a moderator:
MIDI Machine Control is different than true sync. If you're in Pro Tools v6.9 or earlier, you'll select "MIDI Beat Clock" under the MIDI menu. Then check the mBox's MIDI out port.

In Pro Tools v7, I believe they moved this several menus to the right. Try Options->MIDI (I'm going from memory here. Don't have Pro Tools on the internet computer.)

-Hoax

Ok I bought the M Box 2 and I wanted to sync up my MPC1K to it. Been thur the manual and called the Tech support line and still the problem hasn't been resolved.In Pro Tools LE 7.0 the midi device selections are comming up as (none) when I create a new midi track. I've reinstalled the progam numerous times and Updated the Midi drivers. So if you got some ideas of how this can be fixed hit me up.

JBm

MPC1000 does NOT understand or send anything but MIDI CLOCK (plain old) ... that's all you need to know

make Pro Tools the master, make it send out a MIDI CLOCK to the MPC1000, and on the MPC1000 go to the MIDI screen (MODE > PAD9) and go to SYNC (F2) and set SYNC IN to a number (number of the MIDI IN plug you have pro tools plugged to)

THATS IT!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAA

this has been explained 1000 times on FP in the last month already :)

I'm not having a problem with the MPC1K and apply the midi sync features on it.I'm having a problem with the M Box 2 and ProTools LE 7.0 not having an option for me to select send midi out. It's showing (NONE) and will not show the digidesign midi I/O Port 1 as an option at this time.So if this is what you are refering to as something that has been posted 1000 times I didn't see it the search thread window.

(mano on smartie's pc)

someone JUST posted the step by step process of using the MPC with Pro Tools the other day... I believe it was in the SEQUENCERS AND SAMPLERS (SOFTWARE) forum

Sorry if I sounded harsh! Just that too many people don't use the search at all and are stuck with issues that are explained over and over on FP :)

Good luck!

There you go... I even went to dig the link for you:
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44122

i knwo i know its the mpc2000 BUT it should apply!

Last edited:
Thanks Mano I'm just going to take this one bac.I getting the error on 3different laptops. It's a faulty hardware issue with the M Box 2 that i purchased.Oh yeah i did use the search you see the last post was a week ago b4 my post. lol

Peace,
Jbm

this aint working still....when i follow instruction 2

when i get into the machine control tab the only 2 options are none or microsoft midi map emulated?...

Back