Is the MPC 1000 a good standalone machine?

G Unit325

Like, what software for the MPC 1000, will be a good program to use with the MPC 1000, for windows, with no other equipment, just a PC?

depends on what you want too do. Get like adobe audition for chopping up samples.

cubase- you can do all your regular wave editing as well as sequenceing- (sequencer is more of a scetchpad than anything else on the mpc1000, so you could benefit from something descent with more depth)

Last edited:
How is the sequncer more liek a sketchpad. It is basically identical to the 2000's series except with minor difference. NO.. its a good full out sequencer. That would be WASTING your money sequenceing the 1000 on Cubase.. Then you ask? Whats hte point of having this 1000 anyways...

im SAMPLING AND chopping on the pc...
im SEQUENCING on the PC...

so what does that leave you with?

some time consuming file tranfers back n forth from PC to MPC..
time consuming pad assigning...

and after all that...

you get a NICE $900 16 pad controller..

MMmmmMmmmMM good way for a rich kid to spend his/her money though...

you peeps needa get it straight. you are wasting your money sampling and sequencing on a PC with a 1000. LET IT BE KNOWN!

Think of it this way. If your the type of person that enjoys doing hands on experience then you will understand why producers uses an MPC 2000 or 1000 etc. Yes you can go with the MPD16 and use it with fruity loops or whatever you want too use it with. This has been clarifed so many times man yes you can use it as a workstation. Believe me man I own one. You can make songs with it very easily. You dont have too do your chopping on the computer if you dont want too, its up to you. There is a chopping feature on there so you can chop up your samples. I've chopped many samples on the mpc 1000 and used it. But in my opinion I perfer too use the softwares because I can do the job faster. But you will need a computer too transfer files from your computer onto the compact flash card. Another note, it is not a waste of money getting an mpc 1000 too sync up to cubase to do your recording. You can simply make a cool melody all according too the tempo then make a cool drum loop on the mpc or even had more than just a drum loop, then you can record it along with the melody you made. It all depends on how you feel and what you want out of it. No one is going to telling you to get pure hardware, were just providing suggestions and advice. You may think that its a waste of money but people out there are making wicked beats with an mpc 1000 and are doing well with there producing methods. ;) good luck bro

To answer you question in my opnion the 1000 is a stand alone machine for me. The only thing really missing for me is time stretch. But other than that I can make full beats right from my 1k records and turntables. You can also do the same thing with reason and FL. But it all comes down to preferance. I do most of my beats on reason, but if I'm pissed at my computer I do them on the MP. Its all up to how you want to work.

arghhh please do not tell me this is ANOTHER thread where everyone says "to chop samples get a computer"

You CANNNNN chop, pitch-shift, filter, add envelopes, blend, re-sample (etc) on the MPC1000 - withOUT a computer

I JUST posted a long post yesterday explaining all of this

:(

Will the false rumors EVER end?

You can do whatever you like with your mpc, I was simply answering the possibilities of other software that could be used with the mpc. And don't try and tell me that the sequencer is the same on the 1000 as it is on the 2000- you DO NOT get the same editing and complexities of the 2000- do your research, have you really compared the two? You can do all your wave editing in the mpc, sure, but when you have something like wave lab to do all sorts of advanced processing that the mpc doesn't offer, it's definetly helpfull, Not everybody wants to be confined to certain limitations. You people jump the gun-
"MMmmmMmmmMM good way for a rich kid to spend his/her money though...

you peeps needa get it straight. you are wasting your money sampling and sequencing on a PC with a 1000. LET IT BE KNOWN!"

I ain't rich for one- I'd be willing to bet that you have it way better than me, and I don't even know you- so don't go there- I'm ghetto, i just work hard for mine. I'm a starving hungry kid..... and it isn't a waste to use external resources (even if you are a rich kid)like outboard sequencing and processing... it opens up some new possibilties is all... SO considering that the sequencer isn't the most precise thing on the planet- a doctor COULD make an incision with a butter knife, but that don't make it a good idea!

Last edited:
perhaps they are confused and they dont know what they want.

most people dont know what they want... don't get me wrong, the mpc1k is a really good sampler, but it's just that- A SAMPLER. It's not a real sequencer... the yamaha a5000 has a matching sequencer as well... but I would never use it- get a dedicated sequencer- I'm telling you. Unless you are just learning and want to take it slow, the mpc's sequencer would make a great introduction to programming. I'm the kind of guy who jumps head first into steep learning curves and beat my head against the wall and wont read the manual until I know that gear inside out. I learn through pain, like most people. You won't regret learning what a real sequencer can do for you- it is only benificial, after cubase or logic, you would smoke the mpc1k's sequencer and wonder what you were waiting for, you can always dump your sequences from one of these programs into your mpc for the road or show too, or vice versa so you can do some indepth visual editing. As for wave editing, a trunication is a trunication no matter how you do it, wave... that's just my advice. A good sampler hookied up to a good sequencer is very powerfull... as well as pleasing once you hear the end results.

Last edited:
The timing resolution is exactly what you'd expect from 96parts per quarter note- the unit may experience drop-out in playback is when it is fed alot of extraneous midi data. Compare it to the MPC4000 which has 960ppq!- nuff said... you just can't as complex as an industry standard sequencer... that's all.. im just saying for better sequencing, use a better sequencer- like i said, do whatever you want with your mpc- they are dope samplers- the 1k units have more memory than the 2kxl's!! they're cool, but the sequencer is just a sketch pad compared to more popular sequencers.

Last edited:
yeah, and I wouldn't sequence with asr either... the 2000 has better editing features- but even then. I'm done, to each their own I guess- you can go ahead try to make sculptures with sledgehammers all day! At the end of the day, people just want to hear dope tracks- it doesn't matter how you do it, I'm not trying to dictate how people make music, whatever suits your needs... just know that there are more percise means...blah blah blah.

Last edited:
mano 1 said:
arghhh please do not tell me this is ANOTHER thread where everyone says "to chop samples get a computer"

You CANNNNN chop, pitch-shift, filter, add envelopes, blend, re-sample (etc) on the MPC1000 - withOUT a computer

I JUST posted a long post yesterday explaining all of this

:(

Will the false rumors EVER end?

thanks mano, some people are just to ignorant

i would you the 1000 as a pre-production work station do my drums and samples and **** on the one 1000 and other things, then go to the comp to finish the track off, adding effects eq,s and other what nots

Thats what I would do too, that's what I mean by a sketch pad. The sequencer isn't bad, but I would dump the data into another one and do complex programming, my editing, fine tuning and all that sh*t you said elsewhere, although I do like alot of the effects it has. I think its a dope machine especially for live purposes, that's what I did with the 2xl, I wouldn't ever rely on my computer for a live show. Anything can happen with a computer, and especialy since I use windows- crashes way too much for the stage... and DAMN... these mpc users are hardcore loyal to the product, I bet if you slagged 'em face to face alot of them would fight, haha.

You said it brotha , im a kid like you and bought the mpc 1000 , its worth it , who ever sayin you have to be rich to get the mpc is stupid lol , im not rich , i mean im poor and i bought to get by , im tellin you the akai 1000 is soooooooo sick wid it, ya heard.

Back