MC-909 or RS-7000 for starting out?

dcarmich

I've been interested in starting out in electronic music production for a long time and I'm wondering whether the Roland MC-909 or the Yamaha RS-7000 would be a better box for predominantly sample-based production with a bit of synthesis.

Has anyone had experience with those boxes?

Which would you recommend as a good all-around box? I want to be able to use it in the studio as well as manipulate it live...

(I like the MC-909's USB link as well as the large LCD screen, which would help because it'd be my only piece for a while.)

Any thoughts welcome.

--Douglas

The Roland MC-909 is a joke amongst musicians. The Yamaha RS7000 is a trusted tool in many a studio and one of the nicest hardware sequencers you'll find.

Now go buy yourself an RS7000 and be more than happy.

Oh, before I post this, the RS7000 is also much cheaper than the MC-909. Decision made? I hope so.

Definitely RS-7000...
Sorry but do NOT trust the Roland MC-series (fun to have it first, but boring afterwards).

Some people can call it a joke but the mc-909 is serving me well. I use it at every one of our shows for sample playback and trigger drum sounds and loops on it via a roland spd-6. It also acts as a click track for me.

Use what works best for YOU not what others tell you is best for THEM.

by the way I also own a yamaha rm1x so dont think I'm anti-yammy or anything

How is the 909 inferior?????
Exactly how?...Ok the sequencer is not as full featuerd,but I bet 99% of you can do just fine with the 909's sequencer,and as far as sampling goes the 909 is better specified.
But hey who cares what's in studio's?
Madlib makes beats on Roland's entry level sp303....do you think he cares what People use in studio's?
I don't own a 909,or rs7000 by the way.
But the concensous opinion that I have gathered says there is no clear winner.
Some of you act like the rs blows the 909 away,wich shows proof that you either have never used it,or not used it long enough to make a sound review.

MattmaN said:
Madlib makes beats on Roland's entry level sp303....do you think he cares what People use in studio's?

mmm....

"Yeah. I always looked up to Pete Rock and Large Professor on the SP 1200. Muggs too. The first Cypress album is so dope. The way he flips the sound. You could use the same records with the MPC 2000, but it ain't going to sound the same. The drums come out punchier on the SP. I got the SP 12 in about 1990. Then I moved up to the SP 1200 in like '92. I picked up the MPC last year."

~madlib

mc 909

I must first of all give respect to Yamaha. I own the Motif so I know its the ish. The RS-7000 is based on the same principle with a lot of similar sounds so i know that its the truth as well...

BUT

...Roland is known for its unbelievable sounds. Every Producer worth their salt knows that. So don't hate on the 909. The sounds are incredible. The sequencer may not be the best but the editing capabilities both in the sequencer and on the presets themselves are unbelieveable so try both. It all depends on which is more comfortable for you to use. Go to your local retailer, preferably a Guitar Center if there's one near you and test out both.

Yamaha makes top notch professional equipment, their quality control is among the best,I don't hate roland but I've found their stuff is not as rugged nor as dependable....

I'd get the RS-7000

I would love to get my hands on an sp1200. I'm a gear freak and love learn'in new equipment. That is one I will eventually get when I have the cash to throw down without sweat'in the cost for one.

Yeah I know all about Madlib's use of the sp1200, but in a recent interview he states this.>...."EGON: When you do sample stuff what kind of sampler are you using nowadays?

MADLIB: My homey here, the Boss SP-303 Dr Sample. You can do any type of music on this. Costs about $299. I do all my Hip Hop beats on this. It's cheap. Anybody could do it, I'm telling you. You just have to use your brain.

EGON: Do you still use the SP 1200?

MADLIB: Yeah, I use the 1200 and the MPC but mostly the 303."

Go here,and read it for yourself..................... http://www.stonesthrow.com/madlib/redbullmusicacademy.html

I really don't see how the MC-909s sequencer is inferior to anything. I really like everything about the unit. Mainly things just get done fast so that you'r not frstrated by the time you get an idea recording. the MC-909 is an awsome machine and it works jusst great.

There's no way it's inferior.
It may have a differant interface than what your using now,but whats wrong with that?

I can all,but guarentee none of the people dissing the 909 have either never used it,or not used it much.
IMO Your voiced opinion don't count unless you pretty much know the thing inside,and out.

Too many people review things without much knowlage about what they are reviewing.

For instance when you read a review on this site,or harmonycentral,do you take a review seriously when the guy talks about how he played with it in the store 2,or 3 times?

I would discard all opions from reviews like that,and most opions of NEW owners of a piece of gear.

They cant possibly know how to give a proper review based on 3 trips to sam ash,or some guy who bought something last week,and is already reviewing it as if he has owned it for 10 years,and sometimes spreading misinfo about it!

Show me someone who's used the 909 for at least 5-6 months,and then give a proper review.

Ok, MC909 review but I only have had it for a few months. I also own an MPC 4000 which I mostly use, and my Partner uses the 909.
I wont go into details, but simple put- the 909 is a great all in wonder unit. Beats and sounds are easy to achive and it seq, is inferior to the MPC,. I have no idea ablut the rs7000.
One thing i will add is we are now looking to sell the 909 to get another 4000.
The main problem we found with the 909 is the voice steeling, being a 64 voice machine when you use alot of tracks of intenal sounds(not samples) you can hear how the sound becomes thin. This is a fact.
For someone that isnt going to be making long seq-songs with chang ups, and multi layered sounds this unit would serve them well.
For someone with other synth sounds such as a EMU or MOTIF, they may want to look at an MPC because of its Seq and midi out's.
For someone starting out this unit is easy to use and very powerfull.
For someone looking to add a external seq, with a powerful sample and to control other synths they may want to look at a MPC 4000.
This unit is great to start out with, hell I wish we had this like 9 years ago.
But we grew out of it pretty fast.
BUt if your looking for that all in one starting point I would def pick this one up.

Just my 2 cents.

Back