MASCHINE!!! "Akai can kiss my ass."

I wish people who have no idea what they're talking about would just not post anything instead of spreading misinformation and making a fool out of themselves.

So tell me, how does Maschine "lack the most basic of sampling features"?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

And you my friend should learn to make the right conclusions based on what you read. Not having updated my maschine doesn't mean I didn't know what it came with at its freaking launch dog, which was in fact part of a comparison I made. In fact, I do know what the most recent update will do, but I won't be using the Maschine anyway. It basically sits in my studio doing nothing, except impress customers that ultimately don't want to mess with it either for their music.

When it comes to the Maschine being a midi controller it is really simple, it really is just a midi controller. You can put a tuxedo on a turd, it's still a turd, know what I'm saying?

Yeah, you can browse through stuff in a cumbersome way, so freaking what.. so can my mouse haha.

Last edited:
Not having updated my maschine doesn't mean I didn't know what it came with at its freaking launch dog, which was in fact part of a comparison I made.
Nice try. Maschine came with basic sampling features at its launch.
When it comes to the Maschine being a midi controller it is really simple, it really is just a midi controller. You can put a tuxedo on a turd, it's still a turd, know what I'm saying?
Yeah, sounds like your brain is filled with turd. Maschine is far from "just a midi controller".

Yeah, you can browse through stuff in a cumbersome way, so freaking what.. so can my mouse haha.
You don't know what you're talking about. Browsing in Maschine is nothing like using a mouse nor is it cumbersome.

Nice try. Maschine came with basic sampling features at its launch.

Nope, it didn't at all and still isn't up to par with the MPC or MV in this area and by far not up to software (!) standards either. I'm thinking Battery style sample editing and such. Its cumbersome as hell to import and export just for that functionality such a software/hardware combination should ideally have from the beginning and inside the Maschine itself.

It's just lacking the true integration of this.

It's why I hardly ever touch the Maschine. If I'd wanted to use software, I'd use Battery. Not the Maschine in combination with Battery as it doesn't really add anything.

Now take that same Maschine and look at it stand-alone, which should be what makes it different from a midi controller, and you'll see why it's not a great alternative to the MPC or MV yet. It basically just needs a PC.

As another example it had no (and still doesn't have actually) proper time-stretch and no bpm matching at launch, so you'd needed to export and import your stuff back and forth which made no sense for a device that relies so heavily on software. Sure there has been pitching from day one, but as we all know that's really not quite the same.

Then there was (mute/solo) automation, again something that took them good time to add? And then to think they market the Maschine mainly as a sequencer/sampler. Its more like a drummachine, despite its sequencer which isn't bad at all.

All in all, the moment NI stops supporting the Maschine, you're unit will become obsolete or even downright unusable for sure. I'm still using hardware I bought decades ago and it still works as good as it used to back then.

You don't know what you're talking about. Browsing in Maschine is nothing like using a mouse nor is it cumbersome.

In a way it does feel like that! You can't even search the HD from the hardware. Obviously I wasn't comparing it to the use of a mouse in a literal sense, but that's not what I said either. I said in a software environment I could navigate with my mouse and because the Maschine lacks true integration and that dedication, just using a mouse would be faster.

People are always saying how they feel the Maschine is fast in use, but it's not at all faster.

By the way, it's no coincidence people are using some of the knobs on the Maschine for short cut functions, like opening a new project in Logic. It is very much a midi controller and people are using it that way. Its why people are complaining a lot less than they should!

Don't get me wrong, I know what I bought. But some of the fanboy-ism is pathetic. Its not the holy grail.

Apart from that it's really more a sequencer / drummachine controller (!) and less an all-in sampler, especially because it lacks true stand-alone functionality.

I simply think that in a very specific way it won't replace (my current) hardware, but we'll see. Despite improving editing capabilities apparently being a low priority, they won't stop updating anytime soon, which is a good thing.

---------- Post added at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 AM ----------

Hey, as far as I am concerned let these guys hate on Maschine, its just less people in the know from where I am sitting.

ONE

I'm not hating on anything, just saying what it is. If you feel any constructive criticism like this is hating on a brand or product, then I feel sorry for you man.

The whole idea behind the Maschine is that in theory it should outperform the MPC and MV. It was even marketed as such, but it just doesn't seem to do so yet. In a very serious way it's still a bit disppointing, even though its easy to forget what it can already do.

In either case, if people are looking for an addition to their software work-flow don't let em stop looking into the Maschine because of my view. But if they're looking for a true alternative to their trusty hardware and its hardware they're looking for, I'd say don't buy into the hype.

Now go ahead and tell me what's wrong with that with arguments and examples in a mature way.

Nope, it didn't at all and still isn't up to par with the MPC or MV in this area and by far not up to software (!) standards either.
Didn't at all what? That it "lacks the most basic of sampling features"? It's a sampler and it came with much more than "basic sampling features" from its launch. Don't spread misinformation when it's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.
If I'd wanted to use software, I'd use Battery. Not the Maschine in combination with Battery as it doesn't really add anything.
Once again revealing that you completely miss the point of Maschine. Gee, I wonder why NI bothered to create Maschine when they already had Battery? Could it be the hands-on workflow from total integration between the dedicated controller and software that could previously be only found on standalone hardware?
Apart from that it's really more a sequencer / drummachine controller (!) and less an all-in sampler, especially because it lacks true stand-alone functionality.
What the heck are you talking about? In fact, most of your rant was obvioulsy reciting all the complaints and negative posts you found in the Maschine forums so that you could make it sound like you know what you're talking about. I'm beginning to wonder if you're that MPC fanatic troll Jahrome in disguise.

---------- Post added at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 AM ----------

[/COLOR]

I'm not hating on anything, just saying what it is. If you feel any constructive criticism like this is hating on a brand or product, then I feel sorry for you man.

The whole idea behind the Maschine is that in theory it should outperform the MPC and MV. It was even marketed as such, but it just doesn't seem to do so yet. In a very serious way it's still a bit disppointing, even though its easy to forget what it can already do.

In either case, if people are looking for an addition to their software work-flow don't let em stop looking into the Maschine because of my view. But if they're looking for a true alternative to their trusty hardware and its hardware they're looking for, I'd say don't buy into the hype.

Now go ahead and tell me what's wrong with that with arguments and examples in a mature way.

I will tell you what is wrong with your arguments, they are not based in fact.

Like I said on my first post in this whole deal, I am a long time MPC user and have had an MPC in my studio as my center piece for almost 18 years now. I got my first MPC when I was 15 years old. I feel completely at home on an MPC and don't many people who know the MPC better than me?

My point here is this, I am not knocking the MPC or anything else, but I am simply saying for me Maschine has proven to be much faster for me and does everything I need it to do. After a month of using Maschine, I could do everything faster on it than on my MPC. I will always have an MPC because I can't imagine being without one, but things change and things become better with technology. The one thing with Maschine is you need a computer, that's true.

However, you are stating your opinions as though they were facts and they are not. Like me saying I am faster on Maschine, although true, it might not be that way for everyone.

ONE

YOU'RE RIGHT! i THINK i'M USING SOME PREMATURE JUDGING AND i PROBABLY SHOULD GIVE THIS MASCHINE A CHANCE. i GUESS I'LL HOLD ON TO IT FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS BEFORE I TAKE IT OUT BACK AND USE AS TAGET PRACTICE.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

i'VE BEEN VERY FRUSTATED SINCE MY mAC IS IN THE SHOP! I WOULD RATHER HOOK THIS UP TO MY MAC,BUT IM HOOKING IT UP TO A PC THATS NOT REALLY MADE FOR THIS TYPE OF STUFF.
I can see you don't know what the Hell your'e talking about .

Didn't at all what? That it "lacks the most basic of sampling features"? It's a sampler and it came with much more than "basic sampling features" from its launch. Don't spread misinformation when it's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.
Once again revealing that you completely miss the point of Maschine. Gee, I wonder why NI bothered to create Maschine when they already had Battery? Could it be the hands-on workflow from total integration between the dedicated controller and software that could previously be only found on standalone hardware?

What the heck are you talking about? In fact, most of your rant was obvioulsy reciting all the complaints and negative posts you found in the Maschine forums so that you could make it sound like you know what you're talking about. I'm beginning to wonder if you're that MPC fanatic troll Jahrome in disguise.

Gee, I wonder why you didn't even bother to go into greater detail about what I was wrong about there. Probably simply because I am in fact right.

Yeah, so I've got an opinion. So what, I already gave examples of what was lacking at first and some still is. What the fck is factually wrong about that?

By the way Maschine really is no much more a dedicated controller than any other midi controller in a true hardware sense. If anything NI made it to go with their software.

If you had truly used an MPC or MV for that long, you'd totally know why and what dedicated hardware really means for its user.

Just grab any random MPC (yes, fuzzy menu structure included) or the MV and you will see the huge difference in how their user interfaces are truly dedicated and make sense in streamlined ways.

The Maschine looks like a nice try in comparison, but fails at truly providing integrated software inside a hardware environment.

Oh and by the way, I am definitely not Jahrome. Are you out your mind? He and I greatly differ in opinion when it comes to the MPC5000. He's definitely an MPC fanatic. When he had the MV, he complained about the screen being unable to tilt and stupid stuff like that. He never really used it and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't really used the Maschine either.

---------- Post added at 03:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 AM ----------

However, you are stating your opinions as though they were facts and they are not. Like me saying I am faster on Maschine, although true, it might not be that way for everyone.

Funny talk when I'm the one that brought up the negative points to back up my opinion to begin with. Where are your facts to back up yours that could blow my opinion to smithereens?

The whole reason I'm still in this pointless debate is the fact that I am still waiting for your arguments. Just saying my opinion sucks and therefore you must be right is completely ludicrous.

I still haven't heard why one would really want to use a Maschine over any other midi controller with drumpads on it in conjuction with just a PC. It really doesn't add much, even for a diehard software head.

Last edited:
One fundamental point that needs to be understood about Maschine; it is NOT intended to be a standalone dedicated sampling/sequencer. On the contrary Maschine is intended to function as an extension of your computer, the same place where your DAW, your Audio Editor, Your TB's of samples/sounds are all located. If you can digest what that means conceptually, all the MPC comparisons can stop at the 16 pads. If you expect Maschine to function like a dedicated standalone hardware sampling sequencer, you have already lost because that's completely the opposite of how it works. I have noticed that the people with the most negative feedback on Maschine truly expect it to work in this "dedicated/standalone" manner.

One fundamental point that needs to be understood about Maschine; it is NOT intended to be a standalone dedicated sampling/sequencer. On the contrary Maschine is intended to function as an extension of your computer, the same place where your DAW, your Audio Editor, Your TB's of samples/sounds are all located. If you can digest what that means conceptually, all the MPC comparisons can stop at the 16 pads. If you expect Maschine to function like a dedicated standalone hardware sampling sequencer, you have already lost because that's completely the opposite of how it works.

And yet it is marketed as the MPC-killer, next best thing since sliced bread and what not. I don't have an issue with all that if it at least would make SOME sense, but it really pretends to be an all-in-one-box solution.
I can see how a software focused cat would love the idea of a hardware box that integrates software into a work-flow centered around one box. Really I do, but that's exactly where it fails.

If you think the Maschine is being promoted as something else then by all means go back to the NI website and take a look at the version 1.5 video and the other ones.
Apart from that ultimately you don't need the Maschine to do the things you do with software. In a sense NI is missing the point if they're really trying their Maschine to be more than a midi controller.

Last edited:
lol Maschine isn't being promoted as an MPC killer bro....I dont need to look at the 1.5 videos (Which two of them Im actually featured) in order to know this. The MPC has a completely different use case than Maschine.

I'm aware of its shortcomings vs the MPC, but to say NI is marketing this as MPC killer is far-fetched and more of a user sentiment than the actual company's stance.

lol Maschine isn't being promoted as an MPC killer bro....I dont need to look at the 1.5 videos (Which two of them Im actually featured) in order to know this. The MPC has a completely different use case than Maschine.

I'm aware of its shortcomings vs the MPC, but to say NI is marketing this as MPC killer is far-fetched and more of a user sentiment than the actual company's stance.

Exactly. This is coming from people wanting it to be or scared it might be one day. I normally don't post often in these threads because it's the same thing over and over. I swear people lose WAY too much sleep over what other people are using.

Do whatever works for you. If Maschine is it then great. If an MPC is the way to go, wonderful. But see each product for what it is not this vs that. Maschine is Maschine. An MPC is an MPC. Look at each in its own individual way and use whatever is best for you.

This cracks me up! Tells F-Major to go back and look at videos that he was featured in???? Classic LOL!

I don't think this Banannasass dude is going to get what we all are saying no matter who tells him or how many times it's said?

We are just saying that for us, it works. Why can't you jus deal with that? Why does it bother you so much if people like Maschine or anything else? I mean I could say I would rather use Product A over Product B and that I think it's faster, better, easier. Whatever, it's just N opinion and peoples differences are what makes the world go round and make it more interesting too.

ONE

does anybody think this is a good hardware for newbies?

Both will do but if you rely on your computer,the Maschine might be better.I love akai but alot of people don't have the patience to read the manual and get frustrated with the MPC series quickly.

Peace

F major!

LOL hilarious that YOU are actually the one demo'ing the equipment that somebody is telling you to go look at for reference!!!

My only issue with maschine isnt even with maschine or the way its marketed. Its the way its being recieved and defended by users. The bottom line is this: it is software with a dedicated midi controller and when you unplug it from a computer it doesnt have an application. in that sense, its EXACTLY the same as any midi interface interacting with any DAW. So you can say it's portability is a point of interest, but you have to mention that you STILL have to lug the laptop. Its been said that you can work on it without having to look at the computer screen. Thats pretty misleading because its you do have to look at the screen to accurately perform certain tasks and interface with the software. I think the only way maschine will be able to fairly "kill" a standalone hardware sampler/sequencer is to offer that capability in a standalone capacity. If you could unplug it and use it whereever and then plug it back into a laptop later that would be genius. Dont get me wrong, I think maschine is extremely dope! But as it stands, its a great piece of software with a dedicated midi controller being marketed as an "mpc killer". Kinda like saying, "This chicken casserole is way better than that steak" they're two different things entirely.

Sorry for the food analogy, I'm hungry, lol

Last edited:
i have a Question of the Nim

There is no audio in or outs so as a standalone it can only be used as a controller it is not a sampler?

In order to control your samples and chops etc you have to have it hooked up to your computer?
or is this a standalone sampler aswell?

Back