MASCHINE!!! "Akai can kiss my ass."

Sorry but that makes no sense. And yes, it has replaced the MPC/other hardware equivalent for live and studio use for a significant number of people including myself having been a long time MPC users of various MPC models. Just take a look at the NI Maschine forums to see the countless number of ex-MPC heads who now use Maschine.

It's not a game changer for nothing. The fact is, it is a MPC killer for many because Maschine does all they used to do on the MPC and much more. That doesn't mean it's a MPC killer for everyone as there are different preferences and needs but you can't discount the fact that it is for enough people.
I think you completely misunderstood what I wrote. Mashine can't beat an mpc's simplicity when it comes to just powering it on, and hooking it up to a system in live situations, or when you just want to zone out somewhere with just your headphones and the unit in front of you. It won't replace an mpc in that aspect cause you'd have to lug around your laptop and your interface(if you want better sound quality than your computers outputs).

It's not an "mpc killer", it's an alternative, and I'm glad it works for you, but to others they might not need all that, just the sequencer and sampler.

Like I said; great product, game changer, but it won't replace traditional hardware.

Mashine can't beat an mpc's simplicity when it comes to just powering it on, and hooking it up to a system in live situations
I'm not seeing much "simplicity" or any advantage in that statement. Laptop, Maschine controller and bus powered audio interface is a simple setup that you can just power on and hook up to a system in live situation or in the studio.
or when you just want to zone out somewhere with just your headphones and the unit in front of you.
You're not gonna be zoning out "somewhere" without a power outlet with a MPC (other than the extremely limited MPC500). With a laptop and Maschine controller, you can be in the middle of nowhere and run off the laptop battery if you want.
It won't replace an mpc in that aspect cause you'd have to lug around your laptop and your interface(if you want better sound quality than your computers outputs).
It does replace the MPC in that aspect because it's actually much lighter and portable than any MPC (other than the extremely limited MPC500) to carry a bag with a laptop and Maschine controller with headphone/bus powered audio interface.
It's not an "mpc killer", it's an alternative, and I'm glad it works for you, but to others they might not need all that, just the sequencer and sampler.
It already is a MPC killer for many people. It has replaced the MPC for many who are not looking back. Akai has not been very active in supporting MPC development and is actually discontinuing most MPCs and instead focusing on making MIDI controllers and iPad apps.
Like I said; great product, game changer, but it won't replace traditional hardware.
Look, believe what you want to believe but it won't change the fact that it already has replaced traditional hardware for a significant number of people and that will continue to be the case.

I'm not seeing much "simplicity" or any advantage in that statement. Laptop, Maschine controller and bus powered audio interface is a simple setup that you can just power on and hook up to a system in live situation or in the studio.

You're not gonna be zoning out "somewhere" without a power outlet with a MPC (other than the extremely limited MPC500). With a laptop and Maschine controller, you can be in the middle of nowhere and run off the laptop battery if you want.

It does replace the MPC in that aspect because it's actually much lighter and portable than any MPC (other than the extremely limited MPC500) to carry a bag with a laptop and Maschine controller with headphone/bus powered audio interface.

It already is a MPC killer for many people. It has replaced the MPC for many who are not looking back. Akai has not been very active in supporting MPC development and is actually discontinuing most MPCs and instead focusing on making MIDI controllers and iPad apps.

Look, believe what you want to believe but it won't change the fact that it already has replaced traditional hardware for a significant number of people and that will continue to be the case.
This shit doesn't stop does it?

All you need is a battery pack and you could use it for a few hours, ..if you're ever in the middle of nowhere. When I had a 1000, I was using it on the train to school, same with an elektron machinedrum when I borrowed it from a friend for a few weeks.

How is mashine more portable then an mpc when you'd need a laptop, interface, plus the controller? How is that even stable on the go? You're gonna put your laptop, your interface, and machine on your lap? For live it wouldn't matter since it would be table top anyway. Unless you're comparing portability to a 60, 62, 3000, 4000, or 5000.

It's not an mpc killer, I repeat it's an alternative. Not many people need the features of mashine. For those that did, glad it works for you.

Yep akai doesn't support mpc's like they used to, it's a closed os structure now, except for jjos. It does what it's meant to do, extremely well, ..some ppl need just that. Also, you could get creative with knowing the "limitations" of your unit. (This phrase goes a long way)

And like I previously said, it won't replace traditional hardware, you could argue all you want. That's like saying software synths, and effects replaced hardware synths and effects, and have they?

And again, mashine is a great product, great alternative to those who only use software, but want that undeniable hardware feel and control.

All you need is a battery pack and you could use it for a few hours, ..if you're ever in the middle of nowhere. When I had a 1000, I was using it on the train to school, same with an elektron machinedrum when I borrowed it from a friend for a few weeks.
Heavy-ass battery pack dangling from your gear that dies after a few hours is not an ideal portable setup.
How is mashine more portable then an mpc when you'd need a laptop, interface, plus the controller? How is that even stable on the go? You're gonna put your laptop, your interface, and machine on your lap? For live it wouldn't matter since it would be table top anyway.
Who said anything about it having to be on a lap? Where on your lap are you going to fit a battery pack and a MPC? You don't need an interface. The most minimal setup is laptop, headphones and Maschine controller that all fits in a bag pack and still lighter and more portable than a MPC. Laptop batteries these days last for 5-7 hours.
It's not an mpc killer, I repeat it's an alternative.
It's silly to make some arbitrary distinction between "killer" and "alternative". Just because you don't feel that way, doesn't mean you can invalidate those of us that have moved on from the MPC and replaced it with Maschine. There is a reason why so many people are declaring it a MPC Killer.
And like I previously said, it won't replace traditional hardware, you could argue all you want. That's like saying software synths, and effects replaced hardware synths and effects, and have they?
You're confusing your thoughts with what other people may think. It has and continues to replace traditional hardware for many people. The evidence is out there if you open your eyes.

2 1/2 lbs battery-pack in backpack, power cable through cable slot in my particular northface backpack, mpc/elektron on lap, no issue, 6hours on a full charge... That's just my scenario though. You can't work like that with mashine, unless you're in a table top environment.

Yea it's an "mpc killer" call it what you want, what do you expect when you compare the feature set of hardware and software thats meant to replicate tradional groove-box style hardware?...

And again, w/e makes you feel comfortable, mashine is the end all product to finally finish off traditional hardware...(or so it seems, judging by your responses)

Obviously you see there's no reason to bicker. Anyway, make good music with w/e you have. :cheers:

MPC's are dinosaurs. Anything you like about the MPC can be duplicated. Swing? Check. Sound engine? Check. Use the effects in your sequencer. Tap tempo? Check. I hear some guys doing better tap tempo combos than an MPC in FL or Reason. The way you have to setup the midi to use other instruments when it can be done so much easier elsewhere is just stupid. I learned an MPC in a week. I learned Reason in a day.

What kind of battery pack are you talking about?

Lol its sad when newbies call a mpc a dinosaur ****n fruity loop era producers
machine is a cool toy but will never be compared to a legacy of samplers like a mpc u can compare 2 years to 20 kids need to grow up

I know this is the new year but I fed into all the hype about maschine, so I went out and bought one. My conclusion is as follows.......
I can not believe they would even compare "ANY" of the MPC series to this awful maschine!! I am very upset about my purchase. Not only does it "NOT" sample on it's own, but the swing, timing and groove does not compare to the MPC.. The pads and feel do not even compare with the MPC. This unit is for DUbb Step music. It is not intuitive, and I have nothing against Native Instruments, but this maschine was all hype. And I'm not a hardware head, I love the fact that we can integrate software and hardware for better production. Maschine is not the maschine for me. I have an axiom 49 with hypercontrol that does the same thing as maschine.

i know this is the new year but i fed into all the hype about maschine, so i went out and bought one. My conclusion is as follows.......
I can not believe they would even compare "any" of the mpc series to this awful maschine!! I am very upset about my purchase. Not only does it "not" sample on it's own, but the swing, timing and groove does not compare to the mpc.. The pads and feel do not even compare with the mpc. This unit is for dubb step music. It is not intuitive, and i have nothing against native instruments, but this maschine was all hype. And i'm not a hardware head, i love the fact that we can integrate software and hardware for better production. Maschine is not the maschine for me. I have an axiom 49 with hypercontrol that does the same thing as maschine.

seriously?????

Lol!

One

And I am a seasoned producer who does just about any genre of music.. I mean any genre!!! Maschine is nothing but a big piece of 500 dollar plastic. I have an MPC 4000, a MPC 2000, and maschine is just all hype im tellin you, and im not hatin.. Takin this ***** back to guitar center pronto!!

GC will not take it back. Its Software based and GC will not usually allow software returns unless something is wrong with it. Good Luck!

Also, I must say I have been into Production for over 18 years and have had every MPC since the 60II, (60II, 2000, 2000XL, 2500, 4000, & 5000)I still have my XL and 60II.

I bought Maschine when it came out (one launch day) and thought it was pretty good, but where NI has gone with it since is unbelievable! They have listened to their customers and implemented the stuff that we have asked for, which is the exact opposite of Akai, well at least since Numark has taken over. I bought the 5000 and I gotta say, this is the biggest case of a company not listening to their customers as I have ever seen. The 5K could have been a game changer and epic, instead it was just OK at best.

Maschine is a great piece of gear and I think you should give it a little more time before giving up on it, plus the 1.6 update coming in a few days now is gonna make it soooo much better!

ONE

YOU'RE RIGHT! i THINK i'M USING SOME PREMATURE JUDGING AND i PROBABLY SHOULD GIVE THIS MASCHINE A CHANCE. i GUESS I'LL HOLD ON TO IT FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS BEFORE I TAKE IT OUT BACK AND USE AS TAGET PRACTICE.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

i'VE BEEN VERY FRUSTATED SINCE MY mAC IS IN THE SHOP! I WOULD RATHER HOOK THIS UP TO MY MAC,BUT IM HOOKING IT UP TO A PC THATS NOT REALLY MADE FOR THIS TYPE OF STUFF.

YOU'RE RIGHT! i THINK i'M USING SOME PREMATURE JUDGING AND i PROBABLY SHOULD GIVE THIS MASCHINE A CHANCE. i GUESS I'LL HOLD ON TO IT FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS BEFORE I TAKE IT OUT BACK AND USE AS TAGET PRACTICE.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

i'VE BEEN VERY FRUSTATED SINCE MY mAC IS IN THE SHOP! I WOULD RATHER HOOK THIS UP TO MY MAC,BUT IM HOOKING IT UP TO A PC THATS NOT REALLY MADE FOR THIS TYPE OF STUFF.

Well that's a big chunk of yo problem right there. You'll need a good PC for the benefits to become obvious, but I really agree in that the Maschine is really little more than just a midi controller.

I haven't updated mine for a while, but last I checked it lacked the most basic of sampling features.
If I were you I would sell it right away, oh and GC really should have no objections taking the thing back. The software thing mentioned above is untrue when there's a controller or piece of 'hardware' involved. You can do the same with midi controllers if you don't like them. So just go swap that ish for something better!

---------- Post added at 02:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

I bought Maschine when it came out (one launch day) and thought it was pretty good, but where NI has gone with it since is unbelievable! They have listened to their customers and implemented the stuff that we have asked for, which is the exact opposite of Akai, well at least since Numark has taken over. I bought the 5000 and I gotta say, this is the biggest case of a company not listening to their customers as I have ever seen. The 5K could have been a game changer and epic, instead it was just OK at best.

Maschine is a great piece of gear and I think you should give it a little more time before giving up on it, plus the 1.6 update coming in a few days now is gonna make it soooo much better!

ONE

Yaay, the joy of yet another (firmware) update where it should have included so many things from the get go. We're talking years ago already. Damn, I can't even start to explain how wrong the excitement about these kinds of updates really is man!

Apart from that it still sucks when it comes to how it relies on software to get things done. This means it's not at all a true alternative to more all-in production gear, like the MPCs.

When it comes to Akai, you should see things in perspective. They did actually release significant updates too, but those seem to be focused mainly on a few cats that aren't exactly part of the hip hop scene let alone need the same things the majority asks for. They too had loads of catching up to do because of bugs and features that didn't make the release.

As a result I truly doubt the MPC5000 is ever going to be better than a very mediocre update to the MPC2500.

It's not even in the same ballpark as the MPC4000 or MV8800, despite some of the new features.

I agree. And really its my own fault for not investigating the maschine totally. Unfortunately, the guitar center didn't have a unit pluged up so I could play with it. When I took it out the box there was only one plug on the back and that was for usb. I'm like where is the input for sampling everybodys been talkin about? lol.. I may just go ahead and keep it just to have variety if there is such a thing!

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

I think the MPC4000 was the best machine akai has made. It does everything "I" need and I'm very familiar with the setup.. I have been fooled by mass marketing and some young amature producers that know nothing about true production...

Sold my mpc 1k this past saturday. Thinking about copping maschine in the near future. My MPD24 will have to do for now....

I think the MPC4000 was the best machine akai has made. It does everything "I" need and I'm very familiar with the setup.. I have been fooled by mass marketing and some young amature producers that know nothing about true production...

Yeah, no doubts there, although I personally prefer the MV8800's work-flow and user interface over that of the MPC4000. It a work-flow thing though.

I think most cats buy the Maschine and feed into the hype simply because they already have their warez-ed Fruity Loops DAWs or something similar and or can't afford the high-end hardware samplers. (No hating on you there tho)

But especially when it comes to work-flow, no software solution comes close to the dedicated hardware work-flow you'd get with an MV or even an MPC. Fck, I'd grab an MC-909 or SP1200 before I'd use software and a midi controller as my main weapons of choice for sure, purely for the sake of a faster work-flow and getting my idea out there musically.

Some time ago I was in the studio of one of my homies and he showed me how to do something nice with software and told me he thought that was cool, right. Then I went and grabbed my MV out of my car booth, hooked it up, pressed less buttons, turned less knobs, didn't use my mouse and got the same result a whole lot quicker. Seriously! The guy mostly lost time gazing at his computer screen mumbling 'uuuhhm, lets see, where's it at again, hold on a minute', so yeah knowing your DAW counts hard, but this was quite pathetic.

And then the MV, just like the MPCs, doesn't even have a multi-core high-end processor and a million features that if used properly probably could only do good to your production.

Really, software COULD be so much better than it currently is. It's pathetic when it comes to the clear lack of a streamlined and meaningful user interface to be honest. It relies way too heavily on using the mouse and scrolling through endless lists of options, forced visuals that in many cases are unneccesary, many buttons and such in view that you hardly ever use and definitely don't need to be in your way of finding stuff.

I know I, like anyone I suppose, am most comfortable with what I use the most, but even the software plug-ins I do use a lot have that issue of me needing to search through lists of options for their functionality using a mouse. Especially when short-cuts are lacking or simply a pain to use (because you need to chain things together or whatever).

Yeah, whatever. Just ranting here.

At Banannasass,

You should really read Focused posts. I will post it below. We are not saying it's hardware alone it's a combo of software and hardware PERIOD.

And as far as my info about GC's return policy, it's accuarate because my best friend manages one and I asked him. So comparing Maschine to MIDI Controller when returning is not the same. Maschine has shrink wrapped software in the box that is the primary part of the package and MIDI controllers merely come with things like drivers and Reason AdPtex or other dumbed down stuff and they are just in unwrapped cd en envelopes. Not the same thing.

ONE
So people still calling Maschine a midi controller?.....show me another midi controller that you can chop samples with....hell show me another midi controller that you can browse for samples with? Oh I think I may understand...people are still referring to the actual hardware as Maschine....yeah the hardware is essentially a midi controller, so if we just talked about the hardware, you'd have a great point. Maschine is more so the software than the hardware. The Software dictates what functionality is available to the hardware device. Together they create an integrated system...but technically the drum machine/groovebox aspect of Maschine does not exist inside of the hardware box it comes with.

I haven't updated mine for a while, but last I checked it lacked the most basic of sampling features.
I wish people who have no idea what they're talking about would just not post anything instead of spreading misinformation and making a fool out of themselves.

So tell me, how does Maschine "lack the most basic of sampling features"?
When I took it out the box there was only one plug on the back and that was for usb. I'm like where is the input for sampling everybodys been talkin about?
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back