korg es1

kosmikBOB

what do you folks think of the korg electribeS? as a sampler? sequencer? i'm trying to get into the world of sampling without having to sell my finger...what have you folks heard/ read about it?

thanks

It is a good machine for the price. It has built in sampling, and a quite versatile sequencer. Make sure you boost the memory to the max so you can use better stuff than short drum samples. It is not as powerful as an E-MU E4 or an AKAI S5/6000 butit will do the realtime performance jobs and more.
If you have any other question, do not hesitate.

That's hard to say Kos... What do you want to use it for? What kind of music do you do? etc. One thing to keep in mind is you get what you pay for... Will the electribeS be useful to you years from now? Possibly, but there's a good chance you'll have maxed out it's potential by then.
It's a tough choice to make when investing in gear, especially stuff that's technology is getting more powerful (and cheaper) everyday!
Happy hunting~

i play in an acid jazz/hiphop band and i want a sampler to add dimensions to our live set...at the same time to be able to make some bangin beats, hiphop,triphop, drum n bass

for the same price u could get and Emu ESI32 or Akai S2000 these will $hit over the Korg in features and performance.
Plus u can upgrade them where as the korg u can't do much to it. IF i was u i'd check out these two instead of the korg

ade is right.. HOWEVER.. if you are not a computer person, or if you would like to carry with you the sampler in your bag, and not worrying about a sequencer, get yourself the Electribe S, or a SU700, or a MPC2000XL, because they are handy. Blow the memory as mucha syou can by the way, because they generally come with a mere 4 or 8MB of ram.

Rack samplers are much better in term of features, but hey.. you need a computer or an external sequencer to control it.. It's ok if you work at home or in a studio, but if you travel a lot to perform at your friends, parties, etc.. and you are more a DJ, then those boxes will be great for you.

Back