Just bought an MPC2000xl...already a problem

gene_yeathatsme

Here is the background info:

So i just got this thing off this dude on Ebay, met the dude, tested the machine...mint perfect great. etc.
Came with an external CDRW drive, an internal ZIP, and an external Jaz (sp?) drive.

I was messing around with it 2 days ago and decided to try to hook up the CDRW to my PC so I could burn a CD. I dissconnected it from the MPC, and found out that it wasnt gonna work on the PC, and then reconnected it back to the MPC. BUT, now it says "no SCSI Device!!". It was working just fine a minute ago, and now it says this mess. I try the Jaz drive, which has a different cable, and same thing. I read up on some stuff at www.mpc2000xl.com that the machine could blow a fuse if the ScSI Cable is taken out while the machine is on. I called AKAI and they said that this is usually a problem on the MPC2000 but NOT the XL. So what the heck is going on? It wont read from my CDROM or my Jaz Drive PERIOD. It always says "no SCSI device!!" when I hit load. I have went through all the SCSI's, 0-9 and nothing. I dont know what to do....take it to the shop? $65.00 an hour. Please, if anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it. Thanks,
-Gene

Last edited:
i blew the resistor in my 2kxl once....

but it caused alot more probs than just not reading the scsi...

ur only supposed to hook scsi **** up when the mpc is off or else you'll blow the scsi drive...so if u hooked it back up to ur mpc while it was still on then u blew ur scsi fuse in ur mpc and you'll have to send it in

any decent tv repair man or pc repair shop can repair an mpc... as long as it doesn't involve getting a product specific part (prolly can still do it but it'll take longer)

thats what I was afraid of..the fuse thing. I know the fuse is cheap but its still gonna be around $120 with labor etc. THanks for the help though...
I'll check out that card reader when I get the chance. Thanks,
-Gene

I have plugged and unplugged stuff plenty of time. But that could be my luck that I never had a failure.

I have just bought a MPc-2000 for $150 that was sopesibly messed up... Never take anything to Innersound in PDX... BAD BAD BAD... at least whut I can see and say.

I am going to send it in and have the akai service place (VST) take a look. They have a 3 week delay time right now. $35 fee for them to look at it and that goes toward repair cost if you want it repaired.

If it's a fuse then just provide power from a device on the scsi bus... Set one of the drives to provide power termination. Then your ok...

If that don't work... Send it in to VST.

I bought an Akai S3000XL with a blown SCSI fuse. It works just fine if I connect the SCSI drive, turn on the SCSI drive, then turn on the Akai. You could try the same.

-Hoax

Sometimes it's more than a fuse.

On icecools akai faq page for scsi he talks about the fuse and how to tell if your's is ok..
I got 5V on my used beast but I think they fried the controller chip.

Gene if you have a Volt meter I could go into detail on how to check that.

Back