How do you connect a keyboard (USB&MIDI out's) to a Mixer that doesnt have MIDI/USB??

Refresh

How do you connect a keyboard (USB&MIDI out's) to a Mixer that doesnt have MIDI/USB??

probably dumb question but i just wanna make sure before i buy something i can't connect.

I would be using a Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro mixer which id like to connect to a M-Audio Keystation 88es & Korg PadKontrol

I'm guessing there's a cable or something?

many thanks for the help :victory:

the mixer "Mixes" sound

both your keyboard and pads are only midi controllers they have to be connected to some sort of tone generator or sampler or computer to work

they do not make sound on their own

The Mackie mixer would be connected to my PC of course, but how do i connect the keyboard and the PadKontrol to the mixer?

the keyboard and PadKontrol only have midi and usb cables and as far as i know i cant insert a midi or usb cable into the mackie mixer so how would i be able to connect them to the mixer???

they don't connect to the mixer
they don't even make sound what so ever
but they do connect to your computer the computer generates the sound or plays the sample and you connect your sound card to the mixer

my keyboard, PadKontrol and Monitors don't all fit in my soundcard that's why i would buy a mixer. so i could connect everything to the mixer (and the mixer would be connected to my soundcard which is connected to my PC which contains my sequencers)

nmodisetup.jpg

at this picture you can clearly see the keyboard is connected to the mixer. so it is possible. but HOW????

The Audio from the keyboard is connected to the mixer but your keyboard does not make any sounds it doesn't even have an audio output so their is no way of connecting it to your mixer

you need an extra midi input or a usb hub to get them into your computer

the red lines on the picture are midi and the blue lines are audio

i don't mean to sound like a dcik and if i do i'm sorry

im trying to understand lol and i thank you for your help but what im still wondering is:

if the mixer is connected to the soundcard then the mixer would just be an expansion of the soundcard (dont know what the correct word is :P) so wheter something is connected to the soundcard or the mixer the both follow the same line so isnt it just stupid you cant connect to the mixer but you 'can' to the soundcard? or are there mixers that are able to connect for example a Korg PadKontrol?

and if i connected everything to let's say a m-audio delta 1010 audio interface would i be able to set the volume of 1 thing while leaving the volume of everything else the same>?

also:

asuming i got a m-audio delta 1010 audio interface:

if i would have the PCI card of the delta 1010 in my computer (which would be connected to the delta 1010 breakout box) and i would plug in both the keyboard and the PadKontrol into my computer via USB. would they automaticly be linked to the audio interface?

Last edited:
the mixer only amplifies the sound coming from your computer it is an extension but only in audio

lets say you have your computer in the center the mixer is plugged in to the audio in on your computer if you connect 4 mics and a turntable to your mixer then all of the signals will be sent to your computer

you can in turn connect the audio out from your computer to a channel on your mixer then that signal will be sent back into your computer creating a feedback loop (this can be worked around) (but i'm not going to even begin)

the keystation connects to your compute and controls what ever vst or sampler you have it assigned to same for your padkontrol

but they both work on midi so you need something like a "thru" box they take different midi signals and combine them in to one signal (like a mixer)

or you can connect one to the midi on your sound card and one to the usb port on your computer

for your last question the volume will have to be controlled on your computer in your software (what ever it is you use)

not automatically you have to setup your software to read the data coming from them (usually something simple like a "tools" or "options" menu
then "midi properties" or just "properties" read your manuals and help files they make life easer

Last edited:
ahh, thanks man! you really opened my eyes :)

but still some minor questions, to get it 100% right:

if i would plug in both the keyboard and the PadKontrol into my computer via USB they would be able to connect to the audio interface, right?

and if i was to buy a mixer i could still connect the keyboard and pad to the mixer but i would need a thru box which would be connected to the mixer? and i would be able to assign a channel for both of em?
(could you name an example of such a thru box or show me a site?)

and i would only need to be buyin a mixer if had a mic, turntables or a guitar or whateva not with just midi triggers

and i got a roland FP2 keyboard that does have sounds and has 2 mono/stereo in/out's (it says both on the thing dont know which is it or both lol) i would only need to connect 1 cable to get it connected to the mixer, correct?

many thanks mate :D

Refresh said:
ahh, thanks man! you really opened my eyes :)

but still some minor questions, to get it 100% right:

if i would plug in both the keyboard and the PadKontrol into my computer via USB -->they<-- would be able to connect to the audio interface, right?

...no, because they have nothing to do with audio. They will tell the computer what to play, and the computer will make some sound THAT will be routed into the mixer via soundcard.

and if i was to buy a mixer i could still connect the keyboard and pad to the mixer but i would need a thru box which would be connected to the mixer? and i would be able to assign a channel for both of em?
(could you name an example of such a thru box or show me a site?)

i missed something here.
try to resume:
keyboard and pad ----(midi)---> computer: computer makes a sound: souncard----(audio)---> mixer -----> amp, monitors or whatever

midi keyboard and pads NEVER see a mixer in their work.

i am really *zZzZz* so i quite didn't understand the rest. this is what i can tell you. i hope it will help...we all had to pass thru this "midi-audio" trouble...
believe me, it's easier than it seems to understand! ;)

ok your starting to get it

first off you don't need the mixer if your doing everything in the computer

midi is a series of numbers timed to a clock your controllers do just that they control something in your computer like a midi chip(built into your sound card) or a vst or a sampler inside your multitracker (pro tools, cubase, fl studio - whatever it is your using)

your roland keyboard has both midi and audio so you can send the midi data to your compute to control a sampler or vst or midi chip
and the audio to your sound card (if your get the 1010 then you have 10 mono inputs and 10 mono outputs Or 5 stereo ins and outs)(you don't need a mixer your computer acts like a mixer)

your keyboard and can to both stereo and duel mono (stereo is one signal and duel mono is two signals probably part a and part b on your keyboard)

as far as a midi thru box goes try this

you really don't need a thru box if you have usb
the 1010 only has one midi port so you need something like this to make an extra midi device work (one with out usb)

ether one will work and they both carry midi over usb

but i could also just plug for example the keyboard into the midi of the breakout box and the padkontrol into the USB of my computer and they would work fine so i wouldnt have to buy any extra stuff?

another question:
if i got the keyboard plugged into the USB and i selected the delta 1010 as my main soundcard in fruity loops, reason, cubase etc i could still trigger notes using the keyboard with ultra low latency which the 1010 would provide?

yes for your first question

yes and no for your second question
yes set the 10 10 as your main sound card in fl studio reason and cubase
the latency is for audio running in and out of your sound card midi is transmitted through your processor and sent to control your software
the keyboard triggers the software but don't worry because midi is already low latency

the latency setting on your sound card is how long after the midi is sent the audio is triggered

so yes you are getting it

Back