Help with Sampling Breaks

J

juniorb

I've been making Hip Hop type stuff for bout 6 months now and I'm gettin better all the time( much thanx to this site! )

I sample all my own beats and I'm now gettin to grips with eq ing and compressing them, then I lay out my patterns in FL. Now though i want to take it a stage further and start sampling complete breaks, then laying my own hits over the top.

What I need is any advice on eq ing them etc cos I'm not sure where to start when i got kicks, snares and hats on the same sample. eg I give the hats a high boost but they sit on some of same steps as the kick which don't need a high boost!

In fact, any break sampling tips at all would be much appreciated as I got some wicked ones l wanna use.

Hope this all makes sense! I got Forge and a ton of effects.

Thanx in advance.

With flp, what I do is sample my breaks. Using a turntable/vinyl going into Steinberg Wavlab. Then I cut it into individual pieces, Then I retrigger these pieces in flp at the tempo/arrangement I want:)

sampling breaks

I hear what you're saying cuz I've been dealing with this thing a lot lately. There are no etched-in-stone rules for EQing breaks, it depends on the break itself and also on the sound you're going for. The break was probably EQed pretty good already (since it was mastered by a pro engineer for the record you're sampling) but you will undoubtedly have to change it a bit to accomodate your track. Specifically, you will probably want to boost the middle low frequencies around 250 Hz to emphasize the kick drum, and I often slap a high-shelf EQ of 2-3 dB at maybe 8kHz to bring out the "sheen" of the Hihats. It also helps if you have an idea of what sounds you'll be adding, so you can drop "holes" in the frequency spectrum of the break. That way your additions will sit better in the mix. For example, if you plan on layering your own snare sample on the break to make the snare punchier, you might consider rolling of the eq of the original snare (use a parametric EQ to find the freq). Also, you might want to cut everything below say 100 hZ so that your nice fat bassline will sit smoothly beneath the kik. It's all up to you. You might even want to skip the EQ initially, lay out your track, and then switch in an EQ'd version of the break once you know what's going on in the bigger picture. It's all up to you my friend. By the way all the Hz numbers here could be way off, I don't know frequency ranges by number, just by ear, so don't quote me on these figures.

peace

Back