help with roland sp-808

D

drez

well im knew to this whole producing thing and i just got this machine along with a few other things and i have been playing around with it for a few days and understand how to use the basic features....now then my question is(it might be a dumb question) to anybody that has this machine or knows somebody that does...is there anyway to loop a drum beat that i made using the sample pad....well i know there has to be a way what im asking is how do i do this...any response would be appriciated

Drez- don't you have your manual? You just have to choose the pad contaning the beat you want to loop, and then press the Sample Edit button. Then choose whether you want the loop to be a Drum, Trigger, or Gate type of loop. This determines whether the sample plays only for the amount of time it is pressed, plays once all the way through, or loops continuously. After this, you need to know what the bpm of your loop is for the next part. Go down the menu to the notes per measure function, and adjust it with the main dial on the sp808. As you adjust it, watch at the top of the Sample Edit screen as the BPM changes. Adjust it so that the BPM on the display comes as close as possible to the BPM of your drumloop. Then, go up the menu to where it says End Time. Adjust this to finely tune the BPM to exactly what it should be. If you can't get it, and the values won't go any further, this means you have to adjust the ticks per measure. In this happens, go down the menu again to the little symbol that looks like a musical note. Adjust this from quarter notes to eight notes, sixteenth notes, or 32nd notes, whatever is needed to allow you to correctly adjust the End Time to get the correct BPM. After you get it right, just press the Play/Menu button under the LCD, and youre back to the main menu. Your loop should now be looping properly. I know this sounds extremely confusing, but it is so simple that when you know how to do it, it takes a matter of seconds. If you have questions about my explanation, ask. Hope this helps-

no...

i think you misunderstood....i made a beat with individual dum sounds that i sampled and recorded it into track A...so i have 2 measures of a drumbeat i recorded....how do i loop that and make it play through the whole song

Well you could do one of two things for that. You could copy the beat and paste it for as many measures as you like, or you could select it with the select/mark functions and send the beat you made to a pad, make it loop continuously and record it for as many measures as you like. To do this last option you just put the play position on the loop you made in track A, hit the mark button, and then press it again and hold it. While you are holding it, press a sample pad, and the loop will then be on the pad. This works on the sp808ex, I'm not famaliar with the original so i don't know if it works with it or not (in case you have the original). Let me know if that helps.

thanx....

yeah i have the ex.....thanx for the help....i really like this machine cant wait till i figure out all its features (i had for a few days now) anyways thanx for the help

808 looping

yeah go to the 'edit sample menu' once youve sampled...

you'll see things like 'start point' and 'end point'

in between the two is 'loop mode' . select 'start-end' with the wheel.

(tip: you can press 'scrub' while the cursor is on 'start-point' or 'end-point' and you get a waveform display.)

Wow, a waveform display? I didn't know that, thanks for the tip!

Back