Groove Boxes/Production Stations (Daft Punk)

C

Curious

I made a post in the help section to get me honed in on my playing technique and the coresponding gear, but I thought I'd come tot his section of the forum for specific gear hash outs. I'm trying to put together a live rig to play a la Daft Punk, which obviusly places the emphasis on sequencing/sampling (live PA in general), not live note by not playing. My target sound is that of Daft Punk live. So what are the reigning groove boxes/production stations? It appears that Yamaha has abandon the RS-7000, taken it off their site, and neglected any further updates. Does this mean that the MC-909 reigns as king? And what about the Akai MPC units? How do they stack up against Roland's MV-8000, and would these sort of stations be preferable over the groove boxes? Or should I just stay away from dedicated hardware all together and utilize a laptop and midi controllers? The whole goal hear is to be able to put on a live set similair to the one I just witnessed Daft Punk throw down, and I'm sure you're all familiar with their material. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

If you want to sound like daft punk, I would think that filters should be pretty high on your list.

I'd recommend Ableton Live... but that's software. Good filters and effects, excellent sample stretching/triggering, etc. It's gonna be a lot more flexible than hardware, but won't look nearly as cool. Ableton with a synth, a drum machine, and a vocoder would be a pretty good setup, I'd imagine.

What sort of midi controllers will be necesary for the live operation of the sequencing software? Can you point me toward the vein of drum machines and vocoders I would be needing?

I know nothing about vocoders so I can't help you there.

Drum machine: an MPC 1K if you have the cash. Perhaps a bit more than you need, but still fun. Not really a drum machine tho--just plays drum samples.

My friend uses an Akai MPD for his sets, but I'm sure any midi keyboard would do fine.

Back