Gemini DS-8 ..... couple of questions

FrankTheAnvil

Hey everyone. I picked up a Gemini DS-8 sampler on the cheap and I have a couple of questions about it. First off and most importantly, when I sample anything into this I get loud static on playbacks. At first I thought it was the output I was using but I tried all the outs and they all give the static. The static is literally as loud or louder than the sample. So for anyone who uses or has used one of these, is this normal operation? If not I'll probe around the circuit and see if I can find the problem. Secondly, I can't find a manual for this thing anywhere. Normally I can find a PDF manual for mostly anything but this guy is giving me nada results. So I was wondering if anyone has a PDF copy of the manual for this by any chance. Thanks in advance for any help.

Frank The Anvil

Ok so a couple updates.... I found out that the sampler is very similar to the DS-1224 and the DS-2024 both by Gemini. Does anyone have either of these? I'm still trying to figure out the noise issue. I said it was static but really its a hiss. The hiss is present no matter what volume I have the sample playing at thats being recorded into the sampler. It's not clipping or DC noise. It's more like high gain hiss that you get from fuzz or overdrive guitar pedals. The problem is that the hiss seems to be as loud as the sample, at least I perceive it to be. Has anyone used any of these samplers and could you tell me if you had the hiss problem so I know if this thing is working correctly or not? I'm not worried about the manual anymore, I found one for the DS-2024 and it had all the info I expected to get.
Thanks

The DS-8 was my first sampler. It really amplifies samples and bass comes out thick. You can get static like you say if the volume is up too much. I used to use a Gemini mixer to sort that out.

And like the machine states (DS8) you get 8 seconds sample time. But that can be manipulated with the pitch fader. Higher the less time, lower and the more sample time.

Last edited:
Back