Do you still use an mpc?

Yep I still use my MPC 2000 Classic. In fact that's all I use to concoct tracks. That and my Proteus keyboard. Wanna get some software like FL or something to incorporate as well. I've worked with software before and I hated it. But check this.....if any of you MPC owners still use floppys and hate them mpcstuff.com just came out with an external scsi drive that uses a compact flash card. Mine just came in and it works like a charm. The compact flash card they sent with it can hold the equevalent of over 600 floppy disks.

Whatever you do, forget about the MPD series.. those pads su ck bad
. I'd rather hook up a MPC1000 as midi controller, (which would defeat the real purpose of even buying one) , instead of using any of the MPDs.

If you want to go software and midi controller you can do a couple of things. Either buy a nice midi keyboard controller, or go for either the Trigger Finger or Korg PadKontrol.

If you got money to burn though, I'd look into the MV. Especially because it's a very good machine... it's basically what happens when 'software meets hardware' in one device.

Last edited:
I have maschine, battery,logic and once owned a mpc 2500 and fixing to get the 2000xl just cause its a classic and will never die. Also I started on a triton so I guess its the work flow thats got me going back even tho I have omnisphere anr maschine.

an mpc has been the heart of my studio since -99.. and lol, i see its been around 4 years since i first replied to this thread :D

My workflow is down to a science with the Mpc5000. I would use it over any software hands down.
Also since I owned my Mpc5000 I have been through 3 computers that crashed or broke.

Yes, I like to keep my old, outdated, actually rather crappy vintage gear around, too.
I like nostalgia... sort of.. not really.
:D

Last edited:
i don't have an mpc but i hear everyone has one and it makes me wanna get one but right now the prices are out there so im sticking with software and im progressing good so i have no worries at all. soundclick backslash PushinKEYZ check it out and let me know what you think.

It really depends on what you're doing musically.

If you do not have any other hardware and just plan on doing basic hip-hop type stuff, and if you do not plan on playing live sets, then there's no reason to buy a MPC. You're better off just using software and a midi controller because it will be cheaper and easier for you. However, if you have other MIDI gear, do live sets, or just hate being in front of a computer screen (like me), then MPC's are the way to go. I think that the best "bang for the buck" MPC on the market is definitely the 1000; however, the pads can suck if they are faulty. The 2000 XL has much better pads, and full size too. The newer MPC's also have a very clinical, clean sound, which is good in many respects, but some people like older MPC's for certain sound characteristics. The MPC 2000 XL has an aggressive, "punchy" sound, and the MPC 60 has a little bit of that 12-bit grit. The very limited sample time sucks though. Good enough for hip-hop but for not my purposes. You can emulate the sound of older gear with effects on a computer, but the result is never quite the same. Software and hardware are both great in different ways. Really it just comes down to what you feel comfortable and inspired with. I own legit copies of Ableton Live, FL Studio, etc... I'd rather have a limited and "outdated" hardware setup any day because I'm far more likely to actually get stuff done, not to mention I think it sounds better.

i think anyone who trades an mpc to purchase software shall be electricuted, prostituted, and executed by way of swift kicks to the crotch....

but as far as saving for a new computer??? thats a tough one, just be sure that whatever computer you get is pimped out for creating music.

seven years later, and still a great response!

So let me put this in the proper perspective for you.

1. You need a fast computer with a minimum of 16gig's of ram with an Intel processor, preferably a Core I7 processor. Hers why:
Computers DAW's need the memory and CPU power to process your effects, reverb, EQs, automation, VST's, VSTI's etc.. even if your using outboard gear, eventualy it will end up in your computer. A lot of folks try to make music with laptops or workstations not built to make music. That usually ends up giving them the wrong impression about working on a computer. So i would say, invest in your computer first.

2. The MPC 2500 is a great rig. I love it. I love the sound, the compressor and EQ as well. There is nothing like it. However, even with all of the things that make the MPC 1000, 2500, etc.. great its not without its limitations. The MPC cant keep up with the new gear such as the Resonance, MPC touch and NI Machine as far as new features and faster workflow go. But that does not mean the MPC cant carve out its own space in your studio.

2a. I like to re-sample my tracks through the MPC for that analog compression warmth. And if its not the whole track its the drums. This is what gives me and edge in the area of sound engineering and not sounding like i just threw some sounds in a box and made a beat. So there are certainly good reasons for keeping the MPC 2500 around even if its not the center of the studio.
2b. Don't forget about the midi input and outputs, especially if you have keyboards like a motif. Using the MPC to manage midi connections to you computer just makes sense. Especially if you have someone come in the the studio who plays keys... Just let them play and boom, you have the midi notes right there in the MPC already quantized.

Just some examples on what i do.

3. I know there are high quality VST that emulate analog compression and even tube compression. But there is nothing like the real thing if you have it.

4. Technology is evolving. The best thing to do is to move with it. Be flexible. Work it into your processes because if you don't you'll find yourself needing to make drastic changes all at once and that can be costly.

For those interested the best hardware emulation I have ever, ever, ever used is Nebula free.
I can only imagine what the pay version sounds like.
Works absolute wonders on making everything else including other plugins sound like gold.
Been trying for years to make stagnate lo-fi vst's sound like an sp1200. Your there when you stack a couple instances of Nebula with tape, and console kernels on your master bus.
Best way to explain the sound is a nice blanket of harmonic distortion, and warmth is added to your mixes.
So for those who have been wanting to get "That sound" in software. Well it's here now.

I'll add this is not without latency, and a sizable cpu hit. At least on my cheap old lap top.
That's why I add Nebula in during the mixing phase.

Last edited:
^ I'll add to this that Nebula is not a lofi plugin at all. My previous post seemed to suggest this.
When you use lo-fi plugins with it, Nebula tends to sound very hardware like.
Just to clarify some.

Hey everyone, I'm new to the world of sampling (got into it on a friends Casio Sk-1, which is great to just play with). Been thinking about getting an MPC 1000 on e bay ... I wanted to ask about the MPC's ability to slow down and speed up samples ... especially slowing down so you can get into that ambient space as well.

There seem to be a few experts on sampling hardware here so I also wanted to ask if this 'time stretching' capability is better on certain samplers than others? I love all the slicing and chopping hip hop riffing + beat making type stuff but also want to make abstract Alva Noto ish stuff so ideally something that can cover all spaces would be ideal. Loving what people do with the MPC but can't seem to find info on this feature.

Also .. is the MPC a stable sequencer? I have been collecting a few cheap analog synths (microKORG, minibrute and volca beats) .. want to run the rig without any lap tops involved.

I live in India and have to really think through every piece of gear I have to buy (not least coz I have to request someone to lug it all the way here, shipping is too expensive). Any help on this front would be much appreciated.

i'm a Ableton kid with Push 2 and all that good stuff and i love the workflow with it but i could not resist to buy a mpc 500 from second hand. I made that choice because of the portability and size (also price) so i can make a bit music away from my desk. Easy to take on vacations and want to team it up with my fieldrecorder and if possible with my mpk mini. (not sure yet if possible because the mpk mini has only usb for midi out and the mpc need old school midi, my online search was bringing up some converters so maybe that will do the trick) Anyway i am really hyped about my new little fella :)

Back