Buying a MPC 1000 today couple questions

Im getting it in about 3 hours. I want to start making stuff tonight but im wondering what I need to start doing that, I know for sure I need monitors which im buying and the right connector cables for them to go into the mpc. I cant afford turntables and a mixer right now so im thinking I will sample from my ipod or cd player?? Does anyone know how to sample from CD player ? Other than that what else do I need? I have a computer but my usb connector doesnt work :( but it does have a smart card slot

just buy an SD card and load .wav samples from your computer on it, then put the SD card in the MPC

Your gonna need drum sounds,there's ALOT of freebies floating around on the net..so do a search and get your self some drums.You can most def sample from your cd player but you'll need to buy a cable (stereo,rca connectors on one end,and 1/4 inch on the other)
You'll need monitors before anything...You'll learn that when you get into buying studio equipment that one purchase all ways leads to another...

Headphones, Compact flash card and them go to Obiaudio.com and check out the MPC series for the 1000 and 2500. Over 500 free QUALITY sample packs. Drums, keys, bass, synths - all made and chopped by hand by me.

you can also sample from the spdif which is the orange rca cable, i had a cd turntable that i hooked into my mpc and it wouldnt record the pitch change from my turntable. also you have to make sure to change the input to digital instead of analog if youre sampling from a cd turntable or dvd player that has the spdif output.

make sure that ur pc accepts cf cards cuz thats wut it uses.

Im getting it in about 3 hours. I want to start making stuff tonight but im wondering what I need to start doing that, I know for sure I need monitors which im buying and the right connector cables for them to go into the mpc. I cant afford turntables and a mixer right now so im thinking I will sample from my ipod or cd player?? Does anyone know how to sample from CD player ? Other than that what else do I need? I have a computer but my usb connector doesnt work :( but it does have a smart card slot

You can sample from ANYTHING that has a audio output.
You just need the right cables.

I have every NES game on my Iphone and I sample the games all the time.

usb would be fine when chop in audacity or something it be faster and up grade to the 3.08 jj os so it can help u chop samples faster ..this should be helpful 2 gb card 128 internal memory youll be good

Purchase the Ram for your MPC 1000.

This. And don't buy the Akai "certified ram" which is like 15 times overpriced.

Check out MPC Forums. Also look into the JJ OS (operating system) for the 1000. Trust me, I thought the Akai OS was ok, and finally bought JJ OS 1, it was sooo worth it.

They also have a free version you can try. JJ OS 3.08

One more thing I'd recommend is a cheap CF card reader you can buy off eBay for a few bucks. It's much easier to take the card out of the MPC than to actually hook the MPC to the computer. (IMO)

get a y-cable (L&R RCA to Headphone Jack) to sample of cd player.
make sure the usb cable is not the standard one but the square shaped one

Back