Big ASR, MPC Dillema! Need Advice & Info!

P

Pookie

What's poppin FP? Yo, I'm getting my first peice of equipment soon...Real soon...7 Days soon...And I'm not sure what I need more...The two samplers that really caught my attention are the ASR-10 and the MPC2000xl. I'm sure I'll be getting both of those in the future, but right now, I only have enough money for one. I'm going to be using the samplers on each piece differently, I'll be using the MPC mainly for sampling and programming drums, I'll be sampling snare rolls aand assign a roll to an individual pad, and I'll sample a single hit snare and sample it to a pad, etc. etc.(kinda hard to explain) And I'll be using the ASR-10, mainly for sampling basslines and melodies, and rearranging them...This brings me to a question...On the ASR-10 can I sample a melody, assign it to a key, and assign the same sample, playing the notes reversed/ backwards, on another key?I don't want the souds to be reversed, just the order that it's played in. I'm not sure if thats what a loop point is...And if I can do that, can I have the sample set to play starting at the middle, etc.? Which do you guys think will be better to get as my first piece? If I get the MPC, it'll be easier for me to make drum patterns, but harder to make melodies, and visca versa. If I get one or the other, it may be damn near a year till I get something else (money problems) And please don't sugest another piece of equipment, cuz I'm looking to get these soon, and I don't want to get confused, these are the two that I have narrowed it down to. Thank you.

k this is my opinion and i'm sure others may disagree. so take it how you want it. my set up is MPC 2000xl + E-MU MP7 command, and a 61 key midi controler
first what your talking about rearanging the order of notes is usualy done by "chopping" asample i just started doing this (like this week!)and it works out awsome!
b4 i used to sample just one note from a melody and map it out using the 16 keys button (mapping it out on the pads at different tunnings) this works great for bass lines. now i can't say witch one is right for you to start with but i will say i use my mpc for melodys quite well and although my mp 7 is a straight synth i still find my self just sampling a sound and playing it out in my mpc. so really you can't go wrong with either. but remember you can get a midi keyboard really cheap and just play your mpc with it just like your asr would. or get the mpd 16 wich is the mpc pads as a midi controler. (i'd probably go with either the mpc or save a few bucks and get an asrx for about 200 or more less) good luck p.s. comming from another mc who's fliped as producer it's not as easy to chain everything (2 samplers and sequencers) together as people make it sound.

Hey, goodlooking peoples, I'm still not sure which one to get, but I'm stay studying, and hopefully I'll get the right one to begin with. And I'm not sure what Kanye uses, but I'm sure he uses the MPC.

Going by gut instinct I would say to start with the MPC first. This way your first material will be in a format that goes forward.

The MPC sequencer maybe the one that you will use forever. That skill won't diminish when you get an ASR. You also will learn the interface of the MPC first, and that opens up possibilities when you want the ASR.. because you'll be more comfortable choosing whether you want the ASR rack or ASR keyboard.
Learn to "flip" the MPC and you'll have extra skills when you go to an ASR.

Whatever machine you start with is probably the one you will get fast at using. And being proficient with the MPC is far more useful to begin with (in my opinion) since you plan to control an ASR with an MPC (as master) anyway.

I have a mpc2000xl and asr10. I know both machines very well, and they have their own strenght's and weaknesses, but the mpc has far more weaknesses then the asr10. If I were to have one machine for the rest of my life, it would be the asr10. I got hte mpc because it does not color sounds, and has a transparent sound, the asr10 makes sounds warmer, which is a good or bad thing depending on you. I like my samples to be warm, but not my snares/hi hats.

I'll also say that the mpc seq is awesome, exactly what a sequencer should be. BUT, the asr-10 seq isnt bad like everyone says (im sure 70% of people bad mouthing the seq havent used it. i havent used the asrx series so maybe that one really is bad), its more then fine, Ive used the sequencer for 4 years and its not bad like people say, hell its better then most sequencers out there (the motif seq sucks ass)

The sampler on the mpc sucks, its terrible, its called a Drum Sampler for a reason, it does a great job at sampling drums and thats it, editing of non-drum sounds is pretty hard to do, and very very very limited.

So at the end of the day, get the asr-10 its the best sampler ever imo. But be aware its not a new machine, so there is a slight learning curve, and it wont have any of the gadgets (wav import, usb, pc card, erc) of today's machines.

hemogoblin said:
I have a mpc2000xl and asr10. I know both machines very well, and they have their own strenght's and weaknesses, but the mpc has far more weaknesses then the asr10. If I were to have one machine for the rest of my life, it would be the asr10. I got hte mpc because it does not color sounds, and has a transparent sound, the asr10 makes sounds warmer, which is a good or bad thing depending on you. I like my samples to be warm, but not my snares/hi hats.

I'll also say that the mpc seq is awesome, exactly what a sequencer should be. BUT, the asr-10 seq isnt bad like everyone says (im sure 70% of people bad mouthing the seq havent used it. i havent used the asrx series so maybe that one really is bad), its more then fine, Ive used the sequencer for 4 years and its not bad like people say, hell its better then most sequencers out there (the motif seq sucks ass)

The sampler on the mpc sucks, its terrible, its called a Drum Sampler for a reason, it does a great job at sampling drums and thats it, editing of non-drum sounds is pretty hard to do, and very very very limited.

So at the end of the day, get the asr-10 its the best sampler ever imo. But be aware its not a new machine, so there is a slight learning curve, and it wont have any of the gadgets (wav import, usb, pc card, erc) of today's machines.
Yo, thanks for real for real! I've made my decision, I decided to go with the ASR-10, I'm saving up already, I have enough for an ASR-10 already, but I want to save up like 200 hundred more, to get some start off records and some turntable needles. The effects on the ASR-10 are pretty tight right?

Back