Best hardware sequencer for controlling multiple synths on a hardware MIDI setup.

balma

I wonder if there´s something better than the EMU command stations when talking about controlling other hardware synths.

I use two command stations, to control four synths.

Each command station has two MIDI outputs:

- The left EMU triggers patterns of the Roland JP 8080 and the Korg Electribe ER1. The SUBOUTPUTS sub1 and sub2 of the left command station are processed thru the Audio Inputs of the Electribe and the JP 8080.

- The right EMU controls a Yamaha EX5 workstation, and a Roland SP 808ex sampler. I trigger samples on the Roland SP 808 banks with MIDI notes with the channel 1A, and send arppegios to the SP 808´s VA. With MIDI notes, I also trigger the patterns of the Yamaha EX5, because it has a keymap that allows to position an entire pattern on a single key.

Is something faster or more versatile to control hardware than the EMU command station?????

You don't really need a new sequencer as you have three units with sequencers (two command stations and the EX5...unless you want to add the SP-808's sequencer and the ER1's sequencer...then you end up with 5)...

Three of them, the SP-808, the ER1, and the JP do not even have 16 channels of midi between them...meaning you could essentially use one midi out from one Command Station and cover all those units...the problem is that none of those three units have midi thru...so, in an effort to solve this problem, M Audio has a device to handle these circumstances...for only $80.00 and no new gear is neccessary (unless you want new gear)...

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-MII-T380--brand-153.html

Thus, you could essentially have three empty midi outs on your command stations with this one device in the chain.

As for better units to control external modules than a Command Station...well that is debatable...but I'd say off top that midi is midi is midi and those units do as good of a job as any controllig external devices. Especialy if you like the "real" control options of all the knobs on the command station in use with controlling the parameters of external devices. I think that with your set-up you have one too many Command stations actually...I'd sell one of them and then buy whatever ROM is in the other one to go into the one you keep (unless of course, your two command stations are the same...which would be "eek"). And I see no reason to hang on to the EX5 as well if you are only using it for the keys and sounds...you could get more Emu Roms or a new module and a midi controller for that money...but that is just me.

Last edited:
thanks man. The command stations really work good together. But I can`t sell one, because, half of my music will be lost...:), they work like a single brain. The problem is to sync the TEMPO between them..

I was looking another option, because some edition processes, despite they are the fastest they can be, are uncomfortable on edition mode. Going from sentence to sentence is a headache. You can´t specify decimals on the BPM (that really have no sense for a machine focused on controlling other machines).

But my main problem could be solve with the box you mentioned, because I can`t go beyond 7 synths with this system. I can control another synth, if I use one MIDI thru, but the MIDI messages come "too late" when they are sent using THRU mode on some synths, and that`s fatal when you have to play 2 hours without stopping the sequence. Even with a small error of 0.001 second each second, after a few minutes of continuous sequence, you can clearly perceive the wrong tempo.

I try to avoid to use complex sound constructions with the EMU´s sounds, and focus those sounds with the Roland JP8080 and the EX5. The EMUs are focused on the drum and percusion sounds, and also, some voxes and choruses, that are pretty good on EMU.
But no more ROMS, these EMU people, sent me a faulty ROM, I returned it and they never refund me, so I`m finish with EMU purchases.

With more MIDI outputs, I could add another synths, like a analogic AKAI AX60, or my JUNO 106 for some bass sequences sent by MIDI notes, or a Yamaha SY99 for ripping arppegio FM sounds...

that new mpc 2500 has 4 midi outs....
so does the mpc 3000 limited (not sure if the normal one also)

just an added option...

don't kill me trusty (i know you hate people mentioning mpc's lol! just joshin')

Are you using a MIDI Interface like the Edirol UM880 8x8 or Steinbergs MIDIEX or some other kind of MIDI interface?
Something like that may solve your problem. (This is basically what Trusty suggested.) These big interfaces brag about how tight their timing is.
The only other thing I can think of is using (horrors!) prerecorded loops of your own work.
Hunt down a nice Akai S5000 or something else with a lot of sample time (FantomXR,AKAI Z4/Z8) and just trigger long samples.
Or hire some help at your shows and have them just play the parts live?

I had the Steinberg MIDEX8...what an expensive piece of plastic junk. I bought it for use with my Nuendo 2 set-up. That thing was horrible and quite a few Nuendo users warned me about it. I was using it connected to my PC via USB. MIDI notes kept getting stuck. I had to unplug and replug it to get it to work sometimes. I returned it for a refund. I never used it as a standalone hardware unit but I heard that is has better sucess.

It appears that you have what you need. But since you inquired about other hardware sequencers for controlling other MIDI gear, I have to tell you about the MPC 2500.

The MPC 2500 has 4 independant MIDI outputs so that you can give each synth its own output. Using the MIDI thru function of your synths (which you mentioned that you don't like) you can use quite a few synths in your set-up. The MPC will 2500 alow you to easily send MIDI program changes for each track. You can easily set MSB/LSB for each track to select different sound banks in these synths directly from the MPC. The Q-link sliders and knobs of the MPC 2500 will also send MIDI control changes in real-time but I can't tell you anymorwe about that feature just yet.

Last edited:
The MPC 60 and the 3000 both have four midi outputs as standard.

jahrome said:

So does the MPC 4000 and 2500.

Yeah, but you already mentioned the 2500 so there was no point repeating you. Just trying to let the guy know he doesn't have to shell out $1700-1800 to get an MPC with four midi outputs.

Yeah, but you already mentioned the 2500 so there was no point repeating you. Just trying to let the guy know he doesn't have to shell out $1700-1800 to get an MPC with four midi outputs

You are right :)

I meant to just right the MPC 4000 but this MPC 2500 has been on my mind all week due to the review I am writing.

I co-sign what you said..the MPC 60/60II would be nice to look at because you can get them in the $700 range.

But if I was looking for just a hardware sequencer for your set-up, I would go MPC 2500 hands down. In addition to the extra MIDI outs, you can dial in/set the MSB/LSB banks for each track! I have synths like Roland's Fantom XR, that has 16 or more patch banks. I can set one or more MPC tracks for each of these banks to easily access sounds directly from the MPC. Other sequencers have this function where you can insert these as program changes in a track. But the MPC 2500 allows you to do this in real time..on the fly. This is one of the features that I have been asking for. The MPC 2500 is really a MIDI masterpiece.

My solution sounds to MPC. Honestly, I have never been interested on them, maybe because I have look at them as tools for managing and storaging samples, and I already use two Roland SP 808ex.

As granted mentioned, I use loops of my own work, but the longest are of 8 beats length. They are storaged on the SP 808ex, and I activate them from the EMUs with MIDI notes. But I use them to "reinforce" my beats, when I want to increase to strength or create more density to my music when I´m playing on live act. But I ask to God to keep me away to play just loops on stage!!! that will be against my principles.

If I send MIDI notes to activate beat loops, I send them with a start point of -0.001, because they spend a little time to go from the EMU, throught the cable to the SP 808, and the kicks of the loops and the kicks of the EMU won`t match if I send them exactly at the same time.

Thanks!

Back