Asr-x Pro To Laptop With Xp

simple_sam

I am going $%&!@*% nuts :( over here. I want to hook up an ASR-X PRO TO a LAPTOP running XP. The Laptop has no scsi so I got a scsi to usb converter. When I hook up the scsi to the back of the X and then USB to the PC nothing happens. Nothing at all.... :(

See I wanted to Stop using a zip and store the samples on the PC which is hook to an external drive.

would I have to go:
Asr->Zip
Zip-PC

Please help y'all . If you got any ideas or sugestions please hit me up.

SS

I found this:

PC Computer Use with the ASR-X

SCSI
You must use the latest OS 3.04 (ASR-X Pro) or 2.67 (ASR-X) for SCSI connection between your PC computer and your ASR-X.

The only application for direct SCSI connection is SMDI transfer of wavesamples to/from the ASR-X and the PC. The only Windows programs that currently support this are SoundForge and Wavelab. (There are probably others - please let us know any others as you know them.) Here is a short procedure on SMDI with Sound Forge:

1) Hook your ASR-X to the PC via SCSI
2) Boot up the computer
3) There will be some messages about drivers and the ASR-X. Don't worry
about those.
4) Open SF
5) Open a workspace, and choose Tools-Sampler
6) Click on Configure...
7) Under Send to.. and Receive from..., select Generic (SCSI/SMDI)
8) You should find the ASR-X listed under SCSI Sampler - make sure your SCSI host setting is correct.
9) Name your configuration, and "Save As..."
10) Pick your sample number, and click "Get Sample". If the sample number exists and is of the correct format, SF will grab the wavesample and display it onscreen.
11) When you are done, you can click "Send Sample" to send the sample back to the RAM of the ASR-X.

My PC is new and does not have a SCSI port only USB. SO I got a SCSI-USB converter and when I hook up the sampler to the PC, the Pc does not even recognize it the X.

A SCSI-USB adapter simply acts as a regular SCSI adapter to Windows.

Make sure your ASR-X is turned on and booted up before your PC is started up.

There is always the possibility the ASR-X is not compatible with USB-SCSI adapters. In that case, you may not have any option but to use ZIPs.

simple_sam said:
My PC is new and does not have a SCSI port only USB. SO I got a SCSI-USB converter and when I hook up the sampler to the PC, the Pc does not even recognize it the X.

BTW... are you using Sound Forge as recommended in the instructions? It even mentions that it might detect something, but to ignore it and let Sound Forge do the interfacing with the ASR-X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back