Any Yamaha QY700 users?

SFADuncan

Hi.... I bought a second-hand QY-700 this weekend. Having and
knowing the QY-70 well, I thought I'd be up and running fairly
quickly, but am having a problem - can anyone help!? FYI The first
thing I did was reset it (successfully).

My problem is coming when I plug the midi in and out cables to my
midi piano. When I select a voice on the first track and play on
the piano, no problems - I hear the voice which I've select on track
1. But when I try and do the same for any of the other 32 tracks,
all I manage to get though the piano is the voice selected on track
1 (even when the QY700 keyboard plays the (different) voice I've
chosen.

Having read the manual, I see there is an option for setting the
output channels - I was hoping when I went into this section, all
tracks were assigned to playing the track one voice - but all appear
to be assigned properly and nothing I tweak seems to make a
difference. (I don't have this trouble with the QY70).

Any ideas?

Go to the Utility menu and press F2 to get to the main MIDI settings page. In the middle of the screen there are two Echo Back settings. Assuming that your MIDI keyboard is connected to MIDI Input A, you want to set Echo Back IN-A to RecMonitor. If the keyboard is connected to MIDI Input B, then you need to set Echo Back IN-B to RecMonitor. Now if you go back into Song mode, you should be able to play back the different track sounds simply by simply highlighting the relevant track.

Hi! Just to not start another thread that is also about the Yamaha QY700, I post here.

Exactly how much can I do with a QY700? I've heard it's all I'll ever need. I've read some reviews, but I still don't think I know enough to purchase it. Can somebody upload a song made with the QY700? It'd be very appreciated!

-Garra

The built in sounds are from 1995. Many would consider them out of date and worthless. I think some of them are good.

The "Sequencer" part of the unit is excellent.
There are two modes : Song and Pattern.
Pattern mode is a very powerful midi loop sequencer. I use this mode
almost exclusively it's really easy to use and great for laying down quick tracks.

Song mode can be a straight linear midi sequencer or can be combined with the Patterns you make in Pattern mode that can be programmed to react to chord changes.
You can program all your drums, bass, and chords in Pattern mode, then bring them easily into Song mode and record your leads or whatever. Song mode would be great for playing back

It pretty much does everything. It also has a BIG BRIGHT LCD screen.

The manual is still available from Yamaha. You should check it out.
It's horrifyingly bad.

I also have the RM1X which is very similiar but is more for just midi loop sequencing. I hear the RS7000 is even better. The RM1X has a lot of really cool live MIDI tweaking ability that the QY700 lacks.

The QY700 is like Cubase in a portable box that never crashes. :)

Oh yea, all your songs and stuff are saved in FLASH memory. You don't have to worry about saving or loading! You can backup/load to standard floppy disks if you are nervous about losing data.
If you can get it for under $500 it's worth it.

granted said:
The built in sounds are from 1995. Many would consider them out of date and worthless. I think some of them are good.

The "Sequencer" part of the unit is excellent.
There are two modes : Song and Pattern.
Pattern mode is a very powerful midi loop sequencer. I use this mode
almost exclusively it's really easy to use and great for laying down quick tracks.

Song mode can be a straight linear midi sequencer or can be combined with the Patterns you make in Pattern mode that can be programmed to react to chord changes.
You can program all your drums, bass, and chords in Pattern mode, then bring them easily into Song mode and record your leads or whatever. Song mode would be great for playing back

It pretty much does everything. It also has a BIG BRIGHT LCD screen.

The manual is still available from Yamaha. You should check it out.
It's horrifyingly bad.

I also have the RM1X which is very similiar but is more for just midi loop sequencing. I hear the RS7000 is even better. The RM1X has a lot of really cool live MIDI tweaking ability that the QY700 lacks.

The QY700 is like Cubase in a portable box that never crashes. :)

Oh yea, all your songs and stuff are saved in FLASH memory. You don't have to worry about saving or loading! You can backup/load to standard floppy disks if you are nervous about losing data.
If you can get it for under $500 it's worth it.

Sounds nice. I've found it from $250 to $350. I'm just after something to make music with, so I don't have to sit at my computer all the time. So the QY700 sounded nice. But maybe I should take a look at RM1X and RS7000 too before deciding?

And... Do you have any work you could upload so I can hear what it sounds like? Just 30 secs would be enough.

the rs7000 would be a pretty good choice also if you could get it for less that $500. it is a complete all in one box. it's a good sequencer/sampler and has alot, if not all, of the original motif's internal roms. the rs7000 and motif came out right around the same time so that would most def be another option.

...but the QY700 looks alot cooler and is actually a more powerful full blown sequencer...

keep in mind that the RS7000 was designed to be a "workstation" and the QY700 is a sequencer with some internal roms

Thanks Maciah, I'll think about it. I took a look as the RS7000, and yes, the QY700 looks a lot cooler.
If we say... Using as both for live performances and for homestudio, which one's best?

Thegrindsith said:
Thanks Maciah, I'll think about it. I took a look as the RS7000, and yes, the QY700 looks a lot cooler.
If we say... Using as both for live performances and for homestudio, which one's best?

i personally would have to go with the RS7000 hands down....but what do i know????

I use the RS7000 for all my productions. I love it. it takes some time to learn but it has extensive capabilities

check out my myspace in my sig

peace

if any questions about the RS7000 just ask

Last edited:
Back