Any point of gettinv a mpc 2000+ akai s900 just vor drums?

dmajor100

i am seriously thinkin of gettin a mpc just to sequence for drums with my motif and have stated in eariler posts i want dfums like emenim,kanye west,mobb depp,alchemist. I seen on craigslist therr is a mpc 2000 with omega zip for 300 and a akai s900 for 100 and wanted go know from experience users if this setup will be well worth it and do what i want. I hear the s900 has the grit and not sure if the mpc has punch so if i use them together will my shit be bangin hard? I will of course be sampling ofc record drums and testing if samplinv digital drums.can be converted to a lo fi sounc when sampled in the s900 and thdn resampled in the 2000. I already know this is work comparex to using my maschine and making a beat in logic but this is for purelly hardward use and sound quality purposes. I tried doinv emulations of crunchy drums wigh bit crusher,amps and things yet it gave them louder dynamics and some it just didnf have a warmth or tone. Any advice ffom serious users of one or the other.

P.s. Or i could just get a mpc 60 for 400.

Last edited:
If it were me I'd just get the mpc 60 and call it done. Sell the rack and get cracking. But thats just me if it were my setup.

But isnt it more difficult to chop drums in the 60 with no visual wave form that show the transiets. I dont know the decision is being thought out , and why is the 3000 cost way more than the 60?

Last edited:
Many feel the 3000 is the best mpc ever made. Its the mpc that most people are referring to when they talk things like mpc swing and all of those classic records made on Mpcs came from. And no the 60 does not have the visual wave forms. I worked w/o visual wave forms on my EPS for a long time honestly its not difficult once you get used to it. I've chopped up some samples on a mpc 3000 also and it wasn't too difficult. The mpc 3000 is very easy to use imo. I've never used a 60 but I don't see how they would be much different.

mpc60 does not have adjustable sample rates like the s900.
I would guess the 60 to be very clean at it's 40khz rate, just as the 900 is.
The 900 sounds pretty nice around 20-30khz from what I remember.
They were built about the same time, and have similar components if not the same (converters for example).
Unfortunately it broke eons ago, but tbh you can get a very authentic raw sound from some of the old, and cheap dj samplers from the late 90's-early 2000's.
Zoom sampletrak, and old boss/roland units come to mind.

Back