Akai S2000 SCSI problem

heldrida

hi,
I've got a S2000 Akai sampler, with a Iomega Zip 100external drive.

I get "searching for akai scsi disk", and gets stuck, to skip it, I need to change/switch the termination in back of Zip100 drive;

When putting a disk on the Iomega Zip, I find that it keeps loading "or making noise of reading the disk"; maybe is damaged ? or maybe the sampler is damaged somehow ?

Any kind of help will be apreciated, thanks!

Sounds like the infamous 'Click of Death' - google that phrase :)

Why not get a SCSI card for your PC, and link the S2000 to MESA ?. Makes programming the sampler a walk in the park.

Hi

Hi,
thanks for the reply! Mesa is a nice solution, but I would love to store samples, so I could trigger that samples Live. So, Click of death, means that the iomega Zip is damaged ? Or is my Akai s2000? I wouldnt mind getting a new Iomega Zip Drive, if I knew it would work with the sampler.

Can I test that drive in my computer, without a SCSI card, in the printer socket ? or any sugestion to test it will be apreciated..

Thanks

heldrida said:
Hi,
thanks for the reply! Mesa is a nice solution, but I would love to store samples, so I could trigger that samples Live. So, Click of death, means that the iomega Zip is damaged ? Or is my Akai s2000? I wouldnt mind getting a new Iomega Zip Drive, if I knew it would work with the sampler.

Can I test that drive in my computer, without a SCSI card, in the printer socket ? or any sugestion to test it will be apreciated..

Thanks

Its probably the Zip drive (new one is $5 from Ebay). Even though the printer socket looks like a SCSI connector - its most definitely not.

Look out for a cheap SCSI card for your PC. Check out Ice cool's SCSI pages, and subscribe to the midicase.com mailing list - its the best place for AKAI advice.

When i linked my S2000 to my pc, i had to buy a SCSI card ($10) a SCSI cable (best to buy from a shop so you buy the right one - these things come in 100's of varieties and not all are suitable) - cost $15.. and about 1/2 hour of my time to set it up.

Thanks for your sugestions!

-Sounds hard to find that cable, maybe I could use the Cable thats left from the Dead Iomega Zip drive, to connect Akai s2000 to the computer scsi card ?

-The Scsi Card for the computer is cheap, the iomega zip 100 drive, is almost 50 bucks, second hand, european ebay auctions

-Found the following modification @ midicase

doesnt seem hard! maybe i'll stick with that idea, the only thing, is that its not clear how he got soldered the IDC connector. Anyway, I need to find where I can buy that connector :)

I'm sure you'll find a 2nd hand (or even new) scsi Zip 100 drive for much less than 50 - if you wait a few days (or a couple of weeks).

You could use the leftover cable to connect - providing the connector on the back of the card is the same :) there are several different SCSI connectors (you can buy adaptors tho) - best get the card first then see what you're dealing with.

I know you'll definitely not regret the MESA route. Has the added bonus you can store all your samples etc on the PC (so its not going to limit you to 100 mb zips).

Is it possible, that the Akai s2000 is damaged, and iomega working perfectly ?

I put the disk, and it keeps "rotating", like that "reading sound from cd-rom" similar.

I found cheap iomega zip drives, but I'm kind a scared of buying something that wont work. I couldnt find no where to test this drive, or either a scsi card for pc. At ebay, I could get the iomega, plus the scsi card, almost for the scsi card price only

In case you dont mind checking (SCSI TERMINATION POWER FUSE)

akaiscsifaq dot digidude dot net slash akaifaq_scsi_fuse dot htm

Last edited:
I would very much doubt your S2000 is damaged in that way. Id say its a 99.9% chance you have 'click of death' from what you describe.

I doubt its the termination fuse (that only blows normally if you unplug/plug gear in with the power on).... Tell me you didnt do that :)

I believe I did plug the SCSI cable from the Iomega, while Akai S2000, was already Turnet On! Maybe is the Fuse then ?

well... the only way to know is to solder a new N25 fuse then. I'm currently at Farnell trying to figure out, wish one it is.

but is that normal, when putting a diskette on the Zip drive, it automaticly keeps "rotating like a cd-rom" ?

No that doesnt sound normal.

I should have said earlier - one more check you can do - is check your SCSI id's arent conflicting. There should be a switch (or switches) on the back of the ZIP. You can check the S2000 SCSI id from the SCSI menu (i cant remember if the Akai defaults to 5 or 6). Anyways... just make sure that both SCSI ids are different. If they are both set the same the zip wont work.

Really thanks for your atention...!!

eh...
My Akai S2000 is booting up from the Diskette OS, how can I access that SCSI menu from the OS, or I need a diferent OS diskette to use that kind of tools?

I know that the ID for Akai s2000 is 5, i've set the Zip drive to 5 and tested with terminated 0 and 1; Even set the Drive to 6;

I'm thinking about getting the Fusible, but i'm having dificulties to find wish one I need, cant find it at farnell.com! Left a msg in the mail list midicase dot com; Just in case =)

thanks

I'm finding a lot of "problems" with Akai s2000, this kind of situations wont probably let me use this Live! I could plug it to the computer, but how would I play live with this? I'm finding Akai s2000 a really bad choice.. :S

Last edited:
someone at Midicase will probably come up with a bright idea. I really doubt your sampler is playing up. To check the SCSI id boot up with the regular disk. Hit the Global key, and then 'page down' to the SCSI page. I just checked mine and the ID is set to 5 (ive never changed it)

The S5k is a better choice for live (or studio use for that matter)- bit more expensive tho. I've got both and can thoroughly recommend the 5k

Have you got the Manual? You know you can download it from the AKAI pro website - also if you havent got it, they have the v2 OS disk to download (although you'll need a pc that can boot into DOS or WIN98 to format the disk for use in the sampler)

Thanks! I'll try it when I get home :)

The S5000 seems really cool but I guess I'll go to EMU! Non-Akai samplers, found a lot of threads about akai stuff that are not that happy :x

Late night I'll tell you if I fixed the problem. Tomorrow i'll get the fusible and test it and probably will buy a scsi card or a new iomega to test

hey sammyb90,
I've finally got it working, changed the SCSI ID in global
and he detected the iomega Scsi zip drive in no time!

Whenever I turn off the sampler, it goes back to default
ID: 0, thats the only issue right now.

I've already done a few tests with my Alesis MMT8, works
cool - Who knows, i'll do the best to rock this live, but
still, doesnt seem easy or fast, to load samples live with
the zip drive. Takes a lot!

Last edited:
Back