advice on changing my equipment

SC21

Hi all. I'm just after a bit of advice.

I'm from the UK and i've been making hip hop beats using a Roland mc-909 and an Edirol pcrm30.
I'm getting a bit bored of the same old 'electronic' sound from the Roland and the only good beats i have created are when i've sampled the sounds in to the thing! I'm thinking of selling it but don't wanna stop making beats.

Has anyone got any clues as to what would be an ideal replacement (mpc's etc) and what else should i add to my set up? I have monitors and a powerful pc at my disposal. I would prefer to stick with hardware. Any suggestions would be great. Ta.

Hi,

My suggestion would not to be to replace the MC-909 since it is already a versatile piece of hardware being an XV module and sampler with the option to add SRX expansion cards.

Basically, I'm saying you don't have to sell, but perhaps pick up more gear to add to your arsenal :)

Picking up an MPC as you mention, you'll simply be adding another Sampler which technically you already got. Perhaps looks into analog sounds,either VA or true analog synths for those gritty leads and bass sounds etc.

what ur saying does not make sense if built in sounds of the mc909 r **** then dont use em.

the 909 samples go dig in the crates for some records or however else u obtain em (radio, tv)

yeh i would go an mpc if u got the cash, but yeh just keep samplin more with the 909 and get some kind of gritty synth

also- what are some good bass modules, something older would be good that i can pick up cheap off ebay or what not

Cheers for the advice lads.
I'll probably just keep the mc-909 for the sampler, and look to add to my set up.

The 909 is also a very powerful synth. All those base sounds in there can be tweaked, mangled and abused.

With the synth, and the effects, you can take a kick, bass, guitar, Rhodes..... whatever, and make sounds you wouldn't believe. You can use the thousands of waveforms included with the MC-909, or whatever you sample.

Nothing against the MPC, but if it's on your shortlist, it isn't a question of sounds...... as the MPC doesn't have any.

If you're just tired of the 909, and ready to move on, then do it....... but be honest with yourself, about why you're going to do what you're going to do.

exactly what types of sounds are you looking for that the mc doesnt have? realize that for a minimal cost you could use its sampling engine, pick up an older akai sampler, or pick up a rompler with realistic sounds. soundfonts might even be an option if you have something that will play them

-lodger

WHOO HOOO! 500 POSTS!!!!

Back