Is it actually worth it to buy a sampler??

J

joebloggs

What is the reason behind using a sampler rather
than playing back the audio using a PC?

The main advantage I could see may be easier control
over effects but thats about the only advantage I can see. I think I must be missing somthing???

Anyone?

you should really read the discussion titled "gotta sampler?" something like that..

Samplers are MUCH MORE than audio playback devices.. SOME people playback loops over and over and that's all.. for that I agree its not worth it.

BUT how about when you load a mapped instrument? a grand piano, a realistic cello or violin, some gregorian choirs? Then the sampler becomes a great instrument.

I don't mean trigger a piano loop or a cello loop, but actually play ach note as you want on the keyboard, with 64 (or 128 sometimes) voices of polyphony, with an instant response... I have years of formal classical piano training, and I can tell you a sampler is useful. I can compose cello tracks, do the notes I want, get sensitive velocity, turn that vibrato up and down at wish... Samplers can be a dream.

It's not just trigger dry audio recordings.
I hope this helps! I know they don't point this out in general, and people miss something important.

Thats a good point in response to what I posted.
I did know that you could do this although for the style
of music I am interested in making that is not enough
of a reason to get one.

I was thinking more along the lines of dance music.

Anyone?

Samplers are key in dance music. If you're using a looped beat, then yeah you can just play it back from a PC. But if you have samples of perfectly processed individual hits, then you'd want to load the samples on to a sampler and trigger them using MIDI. Of course with trackers and software samplers you could do this all within a PC. But samplers are still the standard.

By the way how do you make your tracks now? Good luck.:cool:

Basically I have been just sequencing samples on
the PC. I make my beats up sometimes with individual hits sometimes just chopping up breaks, usually a combination of both making up my own breaks then layering a chopeed up break very quietly in the background just to give it that extra something.
And all the other elements I just use samples and then
add effects and things like that in programs like soundforge, wavelab, cool edit.

My results are ok and I have actually managed to get a couple of releases like this but I would like to progress.

I am getting myself a new PC setup. It looks like I will
be getting a yamaha DSP card and an Access Vrus synth which I am hoping is going to make it easier
for me to come up with unique sounds.

I am not sure if it is worth getting a sampler though, really I'm unsure. I figure for my beats I can still create them in software using samples and trigger the synth through midi...I don't know but this is whats in my mind.
And then add the other elements on top still just using samples and effects in software.

What advantage do you think I could get out of a sampler compared to what I am currently doing??

joe bloggs hhmmnnn

joe bloggs,

sounds remarkably similar to a certain max graham to me. my reply whomever this is, buy a sampler and then buy another one (well one might be enough).

why? you have you virus, but because of the great sounds you wish you had another so that you could use more at the same time. easy, buy a sampler, now you have another virus and more than you could have possibly imagined as well.

oh and if this is max, get going on that monopoly idea i tell you it's a winner.

Back