Re: Best Microphone Stand for the Rode NT1A

JAMESUK

Re: Best Microphone Stand for the Rode NT1A

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie to home recording and I have just bought a Rode NT1A condenser microphone and I now need to buy a microphone stand to go with it but I am unsure which one to buy.

Because the microphone is reasonably heavy and thick I assume that I have to buy a specific microphone stand to support its weight. Or am I wrong?

Anyway suggestions about which microphone stand to buy for a Rode NT1A microphone would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

The best stands out there are from atlas.

A good stand will run you 150 - 200 but its well worth.

Dont ever go for cheap stands.

I second epotts06 shout for Atlas boom stands, I have one and wouldn't use anything else. They are fairly high end though, and it depends on what you need. If you have an NT1A then spending more than £200 on a stand seems excessive!

If you are doing some home recording you should be totally fine with a decent standard boom stand from a reputable company (k&m or others). Just don't put the mic at the end of a fully extended boom and expect it to stand up.

If you're recording vocals just keep the boom stand totally vertical with no outward arm extension. For instruments like acoustic guitar, use vertical extension and then not much extension on the side arm to get what you need. Remember to put one of the stand's feet in line with the side extension arm (under the mic) so it won't tip. You can then put heavy weights on one or more of the tripod feet for additional protection against tipping.

It's also all about not over tightening the clamps, and always releasing them when the stand is not in use.

Of course if you have some form of Reflexion Filter or mic stand "booth", or you want the mic up high with decent side extension, then a standard mic stand will never do.

Last edited:
I bought a pretty basic Stagg boom stand that came with a pop shield and cost around £40 with my NT1A. Very sturdy, not had any problems over the 4 or so years I've owned it.

I bought a pretty basic Stagg boom stand that came with a pop shield and cost around £40 with my NT1A. Very sturdy, not had any problems over the 4 or so years I've owned it.

Which stand exactly did you buy _Soothsayer? The model I mean. That would be a great help.

And thanks everyone else for your informative replies. It is very much appreciated.

Back