Newbie looking for equipment advice

MusicIsLove94

Hi,
I’m an advanced bass guitarist and novice keyboardist with aspirations to record, produce, and just have fun sessions in my apartment. I know what I want to do with music, but I’m clueless on what components I need for making that vision possible. I would love any suggestions on types of equipment I would need to be able to do the following things:

• Connect multiple inputs to a single sound system (bass guitar, synthesizer, drum machine, cello, didgeridoo, etc.)
  • Loop live sounds so I can play over them
  • Record live vocal samples/play my own found sound recordings with the press of a button
  • Manipulate my vocals (the Waves OVox product caught my eye)

Questions I’m asking myself:

“What kind of mics do I need?”
“Is a sampler the same thing as drum machine?”
“What kind of audio system do I need to play all of these things through the same speakers?” (chords? Plug adapters? type of speaker?)

I am clueless about most music tech, but like all of us here, music is a massive part of my life and so I’m willing to invest in the gear that will get me to that next step.

Thank you all so much for reading and for any suggestions you can offer!

Hey How's it goin? Not sure if you've found the info you needed, but it sounds like a typical home studio setup.
I'll try and answer your questions best I can.

Q-"Connect multiple inputs to a single sound system (bass guitar, synthesizer, drum machine, cello, didgeridoo, etc.)"

A-In order to connect multiple inputs to a single sound system you'd need a basic mixer or a mixer & patch bay combo.

Q- "Loop live sounds so I can play over them
Record live vocal samples/play my own found sound recordings with the press of a button
Manipulate my vocals (the Waves OVox product caught my eye)"

A-For what your wanting to do an MPC or NI MASCHINE would work perfectly (MASCHINE has more of a learning curve)

And for the others which are all pretty basic studio setup questions I'd use the google machine and YouTube. (Not trying to sound like a di*k) but it's a quicker and easier way for you to figure out what you need.
Hit up the local bookstore or resale shop and look for Home studio books for beginners. You'd be surprised how many you can find!

Take care~

Back