needle for turntable

Gaus

I recently got a turntable. I was whondering if i should buy a better needle for it. How big of a difference in soundquality is there between different needles? Is it noticable or is it just some extreme audiophile thing? I like to sample my basslines, but im having trouble getting the bass to sound fat, would a better needle possibly help with picking up lower frequencies?

It's often not just the needle that needs replacing, but the whole cartridge.
What make and model # turntable?

GJ

thanks for the reply, im using an [h=1]Audio-Technica AT-LP120 USB, i use the cartridge and needle that came with it. If i replace the cartridge will i be able to get more bass from my records? and do u have any recomendations on good cartidges/needles?[/h]

Is the bass reproduction somehow flawed with the current cartridge/stylus? Or just not as strong as you'd wish it to be? Are you using the built-in pre, recording through the USB connection or through an audio interface? Have the cartridge & stylus & tonearm & counterweight been properly calibrated/adjusted?

In other words, I'm not at all sure the reason is the stylus. It's not necessarily an extreme audiophile thing, the bass reproduction can change somewhat with a different cartridge/needle setup, but it's not gonna be an extremely big change either. More of a subtle EQ bump.

i just wish it would be stronger, but i really have nothing to compare to. Im running it thru the usb connection, is it a big difference in sound quality compared to using an interface?

Back