Need help setting up Rack Modules

G

3 questions.

1. Im trying yo use an Old MK-4902 via midisport uno inside Reason 5 & Pro Tools. I just DL the drivers for the midisport & Reason had a checkmark by it for it being seen as a device. However there is no sound at all. How do I get sound to come out inside reason?

2. The reason im using such an old keyboard is because im running midi thru an Planet Phat Rack. Now im a bit in a cross hair. Do I NEED another interface? at the moment I just have the mbox 2 mini. I want to be able to send midi data into protools via the MK-4902.

3. I also just bought another rack, aphex aural exciter 104 w/ big bottom. Im told that i will need another interface w/ more digi outputs so that I can tell protools to send the signal out to another source.

U can't use it in Reason u need to control the rack via Pro Tools its just how Reason works. Its never had midi out

So the keyboard is completely useless inside Reason? Not with the rack. But id be able to use inside Pro Tools w/ the rack?

3 questions.

1. Im trying yo use an Old MK-4902 via midisport uno inside Reason 5 & Pro Tools. I just DL the drivers for the midisport & Reason had a checkmark by it for it being seen as a device. However there is no sound at all. How do I get sound to come out inside reason?

What are you trying to trigger with the 4902? Are there any settings on it - like which MIDI channel it transmits on?

2. The reason im using such an old keyboard is because im running midi thru an Planet Phat Rack. Now im a bit in a cross hair. Do I NEED another interface? at the moment I just have the mbox 2 mini. I want to be able to send midi data into protools via the MK-4902.

You shouldn't need another interface - the M-Audio UNO is your MIDI interface, but I'm not all clear on how you have things set up there. MK-4902 -> Planet Phat MIDI in -> PP MIDI thru -> M-Audio Uno?

3. I also just bought another rack, aphex aural exciter 104 w/ big bottom. Im told that i will need another interface w/ more digi outputs so that I can tell protools to send the signal out to another source.

Since the MBox only has two outputs - assumedly occupied by your monitors - it's gonna be a bit tough to use any outboard gear with it. You'd probably want at least another pair of outputs and inputs for it.

Xabiton said:
U can't use it in Reason u need to control the rack via Pro Tools its just how Reason works. Its never had midi out

I'm not sure how Reason's lack of MIDI out has anything to do with being able to use a simple MIDI controller.

In the Reason rack there should be an advanced MIDI device from there you should be able to check MIDI routing.

Match keyboard MIDI out to MIDI interface in, match MIDI interface out to rack MIDI in. You should be able to switch patches etc using software.

@Krushing Ive gotten the answer. Im just gonna have to purchase another controller w/ midi out to route into the Rack.

. I have the MK midi out via UNO then In the Phat via IN UNO then usb into computer.

Yes my mbox takes my monitor outputs. Ive looked more into it and my best bet is upgrading PT, & purchasing ANOTHER interface and another controller.

W/ Reason Im just going to use my main m-audio fastrack keyboard via usb.

At least I can get ALL this equipment. lol Thanks for you guys help though!

I still don't think you should need another controller for this, though...should be perfectly doable with what you already have. But whichever way works :)

Could you help me so that I dont have to shell out 1k.lol The MK-4902 is no longer in the picture. I had it fixed some time ago but idk if the "uno" unit is still working.

Anyways i will HAVE to buy another controller to use to phat module. My other keyboard controler is just usb.

With the aural exciter a guy at GC said i could take my outputs and route them into the aural exciter but i wont be able to use my monitors. What purpose would this do? If I did couldnt i simply plug in my headphone jack in the mbox and hear??

When you start out I recommend you do your MIDI routing through your DAW so you don't need to purchase additional infrastructure hardware until you really need it.

Routing effects and shit through your DAW by using a multiple in/out interface is the way to go, it also eliminates the need to use unnecessarily complex external infrastructure gear such as mixers with lots of mic pre amps and cheap shitty EQs just to take care of basic routing issues, them shits belong back in the 90's when conserving tracks was the issue.

So I can simply use this midisport uno out from into my module into Pro Tools w/o it needing to be connected to a controller?

Yea ive been looking at this presonus preamp with 8ins/10outs i believe. As well as some smaller units. Just want to be able to use my aural exciter w/o having to spend a ton of cash right this moment. IDC about Eqes n shit cause ill buy a good one when the time presents itself.

MIDI data from the keyboard goes into the computer and then out to your module, midisport in & midisport out.

That particular keyboard no longer works. So im stuck with a maudio keyboard with just usb. I still have the midisport tho. So I would have to buy a new keyboard with midi out for me to use the moduele correct?

That particular keyboard no longer works. So im stuck with a maudio keyboard with just usb. I still have the midisport tho. So I would have to buy a new keyboard with midi out for me to use the moduele correct?

The maudio keyboard should work just fine, you can route MIDI from one interface to another from within your DAW by simply selecting the input (maudio) and the output (midisport).

Back