Native instruments S Kontrol

I like the idea of integration. But after playing with it, I was disappointed that it didn't have enough functionality outside of NI software. Its a great 1st generation attempt, especially if your software instruments are mostly Komplete. I'll be tuned in for the MK2. However, Akai has announced a new keyboard and claiming extensive 3rd party plugin integration. Check out their site. www.akaipro.com

Last edited:
I like the idea of integration. But after playing with it, I was disappointed that it didn't have enough functionality outside of NI software. Its a great 1st generation attempt, especially if your software instruments are mostly Komplete. I'll be tuned in for the MK2. However, Akai has announced a new keyboard and claiming extensive 3rd party plugin integration. Check out their site. www.akaipro.com

Novation's Automap is still the most versatile "smart controller" software I've come into contact with -- even after seeing some previews of the upcoming Akai controller/software.

-Ki
Salem Beats

I have the Novation 61 SL MK2. Great keyboard! But I HATE the Automap, because it makes a copy of every plugin I have. When I need to send a session, I have to bounce to audio because the recipient does not have the automap version of the plugin. I have uninstalled the software and prefer custom mapping my plugins unique to each session using advanced mode. I still get DAW transport control, so I'm happy. Anyway, its just an extra keyboard, not the primary. Others may like the AutoMap.

Last edited:
I have the Novation 61 SL MK2. Great keyboard! But I HATE the Automap, because it makes a copy of every plugin I have. When I need to send a session, I have to bounce to audio because the recipient does not have the automap software. I have uninstalled the software and prefer custom mapping my plugins unique to each session.

Weird - My DAW just defaults to the non-automapped version if I don't have a plugin wrapped.
For example, I'm using an Automapped version of Turnado in a project right now.
I removed the (Automap) copy from my system and reloaded the project, and Turnado loaded just fine, falling back to the non-wrapped DLL instead.

What was the last version you tried using? I'd make sure you're using the latest version of Automap.
Are you wrapping VSTs, or are you wrapping a different plugin format?

Have you actually had problems with sending people Automapped versions of plugins, or are you just assuming that it would cause a problem?
Perhaps the issue just doesn't present itself until you try to move things to a different computer, where plugins might be set up in different directories.
Still, I've had no issues moving projects between my laptop and desktop before I had installed Automap on my laptop.

The potential technical background behind it:

To my understanding, Automap creates its instances by duplicating a plugin's ID (or its "signature", which allows a DAW to identify a particular plugin regardless of where it's installed) rather than simply referring to its filename or file-path.
In fact, my understanding is this is the entire reason that Automap isn't AAX-compatible: AAX requires code-signing that will fail if a different plugin tries to imitate a particular plugin's signature.
This side effect, which causes AAX incompatibility (and seems to trigger Cubase to clean up duplicate instances), should have the positive effect of not requiring another computer to need Automap in order to load an Automap-wrapped plugin -- the non-Automapped plugin should appear identical from the perspective of the DAW.

I think that this line in the .DLL file (for a VST plugin, at least) might hint at it a bit:

plugin-has-two-paths.png

"The plugin %s has two paths:"

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Back