Is my Roland TR09 working as it should?

snerkler

I'm sure this is more likely to be user error, especially as I'm a complete newbie to music production and using such equipment but I've just received my TR09 I can't for the life of me seem to be able to change patterns groups on the TR09 like I think you should.

In pattern play mode the manual says to change the pattern group hold the shift key and then select A or B and then press one of the pattern groups 1-3, this doesn't seem to work for me.

If I'm in pattern group 1 for example and press pattern group 2 all that happens is that pattern group 1 stays lit and pattern group 2 flashes and nothing else seems to happen. The only way I've found to be able to change pattern groups is to press shift then press a pattern group, which of course goes into pattern write mode with the LED flashing. If I then press that same pattern group number without the shift key it stops flashing and goes into play rather than write mode.

Is this the normal behaviour? If so what does it mean when I'm in one pattern group (say 1) then press another pattern group (say 2) and pattern group 1 stays lit and pattern group 2 is flashing?

Also, every time I turn it on it defaults to track play and cycles through all the tracks. Is there a way to set it so that when you turn it on it goes straight to the pattern you were last working on?

Any help appreciated.

P.S. Looking at this youtube video my TR09 certainly doesn't do this when I press the pattern group button, as I said when I press the pattern group button it just flashes whilst the other remains lit.
YouTube

Last edited:
Ignore this, I've found the answer on another forum. Basically if you press the pattern group button and then whilst it's flashing press one of the 16 patterns it switches over. Not sure why they show this differently on the video I posted, maybe there's been an update?

Another thing that I've noticed is that I cannot change between banks A and B whilst it's playing, I have to stop playback before I can switch. Is there a way to change between banks A and B during playback?

Try this...

Go to Roland User's Group >> Support >> Support by Product >> alphabetically find TR09

Here's a link: Roland - Support - TR-09 - Updates & Drivers

It looks like you might get your question answered if you scroll and choose below. Also, look for a "video manual" for the TR09. I got one on DVD back when I bought my Juno G, and it was definitely a worthwhile investment. You could randomly search YT videos, but having everything in one place, along with your paper manual can really move things along.

GJ

Last edited:
Try this...

Go to Roland User's Group >> Support >> Support by Product >> alphabetically find TR09

Here's a link: Roland - Support - TR-09 - Updates & Drivers

It looks like you might get your question answered if you scroll and choose below. Also, look for a "video manual" for the TR09. I got one on DVD back when I bought my Juno G, and it was definitely a worthwhile investment. You could randomly search YT videos, but having everything in one place, along with your paper manual can really move things along.

GJ
Thanks, I'll look out for a video.

Back