Monitors have a slight mid scoop..avoid cans with a slight mid scoop?

Yumid

So I do my primary mixing and monitoring on my Adam A7X monitors. They have a slight scoop out of the low mids around 400 I believe.

I also want a headphone for monitoring later at night with the ability to still make educated mix decisions. Without spending a crazy amount. Im thinking the audio technica ATH M50x's..but they also have a slight scoop out of 3-400..

Should I be buying headphones that compensate for my monitors missing areas? Will using 2 different monitoring outputs both having a scoop out of the mids result in my end project having weak mids? In theory anyway, obviously I can adjust. But I just want to make the right purchase from the start rather than buying something i need to compensate in certain areas for.

Again, anything can be gotten used to and adjusting. But its just about making the right purchase first. And still staying in that same quality/price range.

Personally I hate the look of the Sony series.

Are they burnt in?
Does your room have minimal treatment?
I would buy a proper headphone anyway, no matter what monitors you have. I use German Maestro headphones, I really like em. I like em more then the BD 770 and Sony 25.
I would rely on more then two reference systems, being monitors and headphones, to finalize a mix.
Tbh, first time i've heard the mid scoop of the adams being a problem. What I do read that it becomes more apparent in untreated rooms and that adams are quite unforgiven to untreated rooms. I know this doesn't exactly answer your question but I hope it helps anyway :D

Are they burnt in?
Does your room have minimal treatment?
I would buy a proper headphone anyway, no matter what monitors you have. I use German Maestro headphones, I really like em. I like em more then the BD 770 and Sony 25.
I would rely on more then two reference systems, being monitors and headphones, to finalize a mix.
Tbh, first time i've heard the mid scoop of the adams being a problem. What I do read that it becomes more apparent in untreated rooms and that adams are quite unforgiven to untreated rooms. I know this doesn't exactly answer your question but I hope it helps anyway :D

Theres no problem with anything. Im simply thinking of the most productive way to monitor. I dont care about the mid scoop, my rooms fine, and and cans are fine. No problems. The problem MIGHT be that both of my reference outputs have the same mid scoop. Theres no problem right now, I'm just anticipating a problem in the mids. Unless I consciously make my mids a tad heavier than it sounds like they should be to compensate..At least until I reference on a different system.

If you feel like you're missing out on low mid frequencies in your monitors.. I probably wouldn't go out and buy a pair of headphones with the same "issue". You don't want 2 identical reference points. Even though headphones and monitors could never be..

Back