Looking for an audio interface

sytrusze

Hey guys,

It's time to upgrade my beloved old Mbox 2 mini interface. I am looking for a specific interface but I have hard time finding one..could anyone assist me on this one?

Requirements:
- usb bus powered.
- 4 outputs (I want to connect 2 pair of monitors).
- The buttons have to be on the side, not on top (just like my mbox 2 mini, because I want to attach it underneath my desk).
- Separate volume buttons for the headset/monitors OR just a mute button for the monitors is also sufficient.

ps. Does AC powered have any advantages over usb bus powered? Just wondering..

Thanks!

No idea really.
But you can find many 4 port usb interfaces for around maybe 200-300 or so.
Take RME off the list for that tho.
Komplete audio, Focusrite, Steinberg's Yamaha interfaces are some examples.
Tascams are high fidelity, Audio engines high fidelity..
Many to choose from.

I've looked at those, the only one that I found that is BUS powered was the presonus studio 68c but it might sound like I'm whining but I just don't like the looks of it...it looks so cheap/plastic. It might be an awesome interface tho, not judging but this is literally the only one I could find with the requirements I mentioned in my first post.

That's why I asked: Does AC powered have any advantages over usb bus powered interfaces? If it does, I might consider that and get an AC powered one because there are a lot of interfaces with AC power that meet my other requirements.

I've looked at those, the only one that I found that is BUS powered was the presonus studio 68c but it might sound like I'm whining but I just don't like the looks of it...it looks so cheap/plastic. It might be an awesome interface tho, not judging but this is literally the only one I could find with the requirements I mentioned in my first post.

That's why I asked: Does AC powered have any advantages over usb bus powered interfaces? If it does, I might consider that and get an AC powered one because there are a lot of interfaces with AC power that meet my other requirements.

rmy babyface pro is bus powered best solution if you want to stay portable

Another vote for RME Babyface.

I have the Fireface UFX. The quality, reliability, ease of use, and sound of RME products is worth the money IMO.

The fact that everyone is suggesting the RME interface (even customer services from different music stores) and I never even heard of RME before, shows how underrated it is...I might have to give it a try then!

I was going to get the Apollo Twin MKII Solo but some people have said that the RME Babyface has better latency, which allows for lower buffer sizes (which I reallllyyyyy need lol).
Still going in back and forth between these two...because I'd also love to try the UAD plugins after all these years, see if they are really that good as people say they are.

Well, guess it will come down to how much you want to spend!

I've used a Babyface Pro many times for transferring old formats to digital and it worked really well. The line inputs are really clean/transparent, which is what I want from a line input on a AD converter or interface. It's relatively easy to use and RME is as rock solid as it gets.

Last edited:
Back