How Many Of Your MIDI Controller's Features Do You ACTUALLY Use?

How Many Of Your MIDI Controller's Features Do You ACTUALLY Use?

• I almost never touch my controller. I don't even play notes with it very often.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use a few features - Sometimes I will control plugins or my mixer with my controller.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use most features regularly - My DAW integration feels like dedicated hardware does.

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

Salem Beats

Ki from Salem-Beats.com
It seems to me that when people buy MIDI controllers, the number of faders, knobs, keys, etc. is the main concern.

However, after the controller shows up and they've been playing around with all of the controls and features for a week, the excitement wears off.
From that point forward, they revert to using maybe only 10% of the controller's functionality.

I've seen this phenomenon everywhere -- from personal experience with local musicians, to hundreds of discussions online.

So I ask you this:

How much of your controller do you actually use?

Do you regularly use the faders to control track volumes or plugin parameters, or do you find yourself using your mouse for that?
Do you find yourself using your mouse to click Stop / Play / Rec. instead of using your controller's transport keys?
Do you have a 61-key controller where you only ever use maybe one-and-a-half octaves?

If you take the time to really learn your controller's features, there's some great controllers out there that can really improve your workflow.
For example, the Novation ReMOTE SL MKII or the Mackie MCU Pro both can create a great sense of connection between your hands and the computer, but they do take a little time to set up and learn.
In order to benefit from the "features" of most controllers on the market, you have to put an intentional initial effort into really figuring out how to integrate these controllers well into your workflow, and make a habit of it.

-Ki
Salem Beats

My main devices are an Akai Max49, Presonus Faderport, Novation Nocturn.
Akai has 2 foot pedals attached, one for sustain and one for record.

I have spent a lot of time customizing all three with mappings that I will actually use.

In FL, During the composing phase My Max49 handles:
-Transport
-Metronome
-Markers
-Mackie Control
-Chromatic pads and Omnipads
-Patch navigation
-Saving
-Some arpeggiation
-Builtin step sequencer

During mixing the Faderport takes over Transport, and mixer functions.
Nocturn doesnt do anything in FL because FL doesnt support generic MIDI out.

In Studio one, Same as in FL, with the addition of the Nocturn being mapped to my mastering chain. I can close my eyes and tweak knobs go to different plugins in the chain, bypass, all without touching the mouse or keyboard.

Most of these mappings I use in every session, others atleast once a month.

My ideal setup would 4 BCF2000s and a BCR2000 for 32 channel mixing and plugin control (Would only work in S1 tho)

Last edited:
Do most of my creation and tracking (excluding vocals) into Maschine and rarely touch my mouse... My midi-keyboard pretty much just has keys and bank 'up/down' buttons on it...
My korg Nanokontrol lives in a drawer as I hate/don't use it...

Do most of my creation and tracking (excluding vocals) into Maschine and rarely touch my mouse... My midi-keyboard pretty much just has keys and bank 'up/down' buttons on it...
My korg Nanokontrol lives in a drawer as I hate/don't use it...

Yeah, the nanoKontrol 2 is a bit better than the original version, for what it's worth -- you can use it as an MCU-compatible device, which makes integration pretty nice with just about any DAW.

-Ki
Salem Beats

I Use the padkontrol 24/7 except the port button and the swtype button. nanokontrol2 pretty much use all the faders/knobs and buttons too.
88es is used to trigger synths and arps as well. I'd say the least used feature would be the modwheel or some of the padkontrol features.
mpd18 pretty basic so all of it's used whenever I use it. I wish Nk2 had scenes to switch between though.

Back