How To Fix Broken Headphones

Exoro

As a producer, headphones become a very important tool. The only problem is they tend to break. This becomes a bigger issue if your headphones are worth more than $20. Instead of having to buy a new pair, we'll be learning how to repair them ourselves.

I wrote an article about fixing headphones. I hope you can learn something from it!
How To Fix Broken Headphones: Easy Fix | Midi Lifestyle

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited:
1 blunt comment

it is far far better to connect your cable to a completely new jack than try to splice it back to the old one

and then several observations on inaccuracies in your description

in most of the cases of small wires it is not a wax coating (which would melt anyway) but an enamel coating, which also melts when heat is applied prior to applying solder to the joint

- 99% of the time the problem has developed inside the moulded plastic jack and so any splicing will only leave you with the same problem

- using electrical tape and then shrinkwrap tubing is fine but can be avoided completely with soldering directly to a new plug

- also consider whether it is worth your while to solder to a 1/4"/6.5mm jack plug or to a similar 1/8"/3.5mm plug - i.e. do you need to use an adapter to plug into larger sockets more often than not? - if yes, then put the larger jack on the cable instead

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing that out. I thought it was a wax coating. I'll fix that. Not sure what you're talking about with the "splicing will only leave you with the same problem". We are cutting off the old headphone jack and are using a new one.

yeah but a moulded jack (as shown in your illustrations) will eventually develop the same problem as well as the splice point being susceptible to eventually tearing apart - I've been doing this since 1976 - ultimately cheaper and less trouble to use a real jack that you solder directly to than using moulded plugs

Back