Thread: Good 303 emulation ?

Thanks

Question Good 303 emulation ?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello all!

Does anybody know a good hardware Roland TB 303 emulation?

I am trying to figure out exactly what makes an authentic 303 sound?

I have been looking into the TB 03, but the Korg volca bass seems to do a similar job for a cheaper price? I can't find much information on the filter for the korg volca vs the TB 03 so idk if thats going to be its downfall as far as emulation is concerned.

I'm not connecting it to any other hardware except for midi from my computer, if thats important.

Thanks for any help, I don't know much about exactly what makes the original 303 special compared to any other analogue subtractive synth.

Thanks
    I don’t have a 303. I do have the Volca. Very nice piece. But then, the TB 03 sounds great (and different) too. As does every individual (original) 303, as analog oscillators are unique and no two units sounded exactly the same, at least from what I’ve heard.

It kind of depends on what you want— inexpensive, tweakable, presets out of the box, additional effects, etc., etc. I would say if you’re not quite sure, and you want to get your feet wet rather inexpensively, go for the Korg. JMHO, however. And of course, there are apps and emulation plug-ins, but if you’re talking hands-on, tweakable hardware dials for not too much coin...

GJ
    Last edited by rhythmgj; 11-28-2019 at 09:25 PM. Reason: ...
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

Thanks
    Part 2:

Your question prompted me to Google what’s available now, 2019/2020. I gotta say, this looks and sounds real good to me, and has me tempted (even though I need more gear right now like I need — insert your own non-needed item, or personal malady here)...

In the past, Behringer’s output has been a bit sketchy/spotty at best, but they do come out with the occasional gem, and the last several years they have been pursuing more of a high end market. So I can’t speak to specifics or build quality; only what you will see in the video the same as I did. But again, looks and sounds great, and very much set-up like the original, with some choices of colors and full connectivity (MIDI, sync, and audio input). It also happens to be in that “nice price” range—

Behringer TD-3-SR Analog Bass Line Synthesizer - Silver | Sweetwater

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rhythmgj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rhythmgj View Post
    I donít have a 303. I do have the Volca. Very nice piece. But then, the TB 03 sounds great (and different) too. As does every individual (original) 303, as analog oscillators are unique and no two units sounded exactly the same, at least from what Iíve heard.

It kind of depends on what you wantó inexpensive, tweakable, presets out of the box, additional effects, etc., etc. I would say if youíre not quite sure, and you want to get your feet wet rather inexpensively, go for the Korg. JMHO, however. And of course, there are apps and emulation plug-ins, but if youíre talking hands-on, tweakable hardware dials for not too much coin...

GJ
    The TD-3-SR seems to be exactly what i'm looking for. Love the DS1 distortion circuit built in.

Thanks a lot!

Thread Information