FAME RPM 5 Speakers

Algorrhythm

Hey There,

That's my first post here so hey everyone once again!

I'd like to ask if anyone is familiar with make FAME and their speakers FAME RPM 5 as I want to get for my room project.
Are they any good and worth the money? (£130/ aprox 160$?)

Thanks,
Algorrhythm :victory:

I'd save another 100 quid and get a pair of KRK Rokit RP5 G3's. You know what to expect with the KRK's.

I am trying to not spend much as I need to improve my music making skills before making investments and I'd rather treat myself with KRKs when I do.

But yeah dem KRKs..

do yourself a favour and just go down to the local pawn shop and pick up an old hifi amp and speakers...

they will be just as good as the fame and krks without the cost factor

put the saved cash aside and start building a fund to buy some decent monitors in the 500 quid plus range

well if you do not want used equipment you will need to save a lot more than you currently have planned on spending to get to a quality level that beats that second hand gear I am recommending

for me any equipment that combines both the source and the output into a single unit is a waste of money long term

- either the speakers cones will die requiring new cones or new speakers or the amplifier will die

- leaving you without a unit until repairs are made (you have to replace both parts to be able to continue to work)

with independent speaker and amplifier units you are only ever looking to replace one part if something stops working, which can be cheaper short term and long term

however it is your money and your choice

one additional thought for all of you to ponder

these low end "monitors" (cheap) are all made in the same factories in China/Korea/Taiwan from the same basic design: the observable differences are in the materials used not in the specs that we usually refer to or the audio quality which will be about the same regardless of what brand

any obvious differences in frequency response may be down to design choices; boosting or cutting certain freq ranges in the electronics rather than as a result of the speakers and the enclosure

Last edited:
thanks for the amount of information you gave me as I can see you are the experienced one! I'va actually read somewhere that low range priced speakers dont have much differences and quality starts from £500+

do yourself a favour and just go down to the local pawn shop and pick up an old hifi amp and speakers...

they will be just as good as the fame and krks without the cost factor

put the saved cash aside and start building a fund to buy some decent monitors in the 500 quid plus range

Huh? I repeatedly was told not to go down this road. I have a pretty good Onkyo receiver and asked this same question a good while back. Ppl told me it's hard to get a flat response out of a Hifi receiver that you can also adjust all kinds of things on. Instead, getting a self powered monitor speaker like the KRKs you get a more balanced signal.
Eventually, I wish I had saved more money as the KRKs are not representative in the lows, but do you want to say I now have an extra reason to regret having bought these? :S
(this doesn't mean I haven't learned how to work with these speakers now)

So, bandcoach, what monitors would you then advise? Passive I guess? I had my eyes set on the adams, but if you can better use a receiver... What amp would you use then?

Last edited:
On the point about using a hifi amp vs all-in-one, there are several of us old heads who recommend this here at fp - you will get the same response from them that you would with a cheap all-in-one with none of the issues if something breaks......

I would look at jbl or genelec with the recommended separate amplifier from either company for high end gear

Thx.

Been looking at some big resellers of studio equipment in the Netherlands and they are hard to find. What I find is the JBL control 1 to 5, alesis 6, krk 6. That's all. Looks like there's a lot more demand for active monitor speakers and therefore, are a lot easier to find. On the website of JBL, I can't even find their monitor speakers. Did they stop making them or under a different name?
And for genelec, the only passive from them I can find starts at 1600 bucks.
If I can't find anything that will bring me around 500 to a 1000 in total, I'll just aim at active monitors instead. Like the Adams 7 or 8 inch or the yamaha 8 inch.

Last edited:
Well, does anybody know anything about FAME?

They don't have a website but a quick search showed that they're distributed out of Germany (MusicStore) and that all products are Chinese made (not necessarily a bad thing).
A lot of their mics appear to be the same as the 'T-Bones' our American friends can get hold of...
Possibly made in the same factories as Samson/Behringer et-al but with less emphasis on quality control and less spent on components in order to keep prices low...
I would guess that the RPM-5's are rebadged clones of another speaker; again, probably with less emphasis on quality control etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc...............

Do you have a shop nearby that can let you hear some different monitor speakers? Take some production bounces with you that you are familiar with, if you don't have those, different genres of music that you are familiar with. Would be nice if you know beforehand how they sound on a proper set of monitor speakers.
Then, in the shop, listen to a few of the cheaper models , if your really set on spending little to buy mediocre monitors. Brands like alesis, samson, behringer, fostex, hercules, m-audio have monitor speakers that go for about 60 to 150 a set. 3 to 5 inch woofers. Studiophile 40, mackie cr4, pioneer 50... I'd advise against all of these but if you don't have the money... Why don't you go with bandcoach's advise and head to the 2nd hand store or browse some second hand sites on the net for a hifi amp and passive monitor speakers?
I'd even advise against the KRK 5 inch rokkits. They don't give you a true representation. Of course, you can learn how to work with them if you know their flaws, if you listen to mixes on different sets and in the end, know how to correct for the flaws of your monitors. That is a crappy solution though, but hey, if you don't have the money. But then, you can better go for the cheapest solution that will give you the best bang for your buck. In this case, what bandcoach suggested.
If I could go back in time, I definitely would've put my money aside and waited till I had to spend at least double of what I spent. The rokkits costed me 240 euros. I would've rather spent 500 to a 1000 in total. Yamaha HS8 for 500 total, Adam A8 for 1000 total. Unless my search would make me able to find a proper set of passive monitors and the amp that goes with it. I had a hard time to find those online. Anyway, good luck with whatever you go for.
Use the search function on the forum if you want to see what else is said about those cheaper monitor speakers. There's a ton of posts about them and there's ton of reviews online that you can find by googling for it.

Last edited:
Bandcoach, how would the JBL control 5 compare to Adam F7X, Mackie MR8, Yamaha HS8, Event 20/20 ?
Those JBL control 5 are pretty much the only passive monitors I can find for a decent price range.

you would be better off asking deranged4phukdup

I have not auditioned or used any modern monitors in such a long time - will be doing serious work with genelecs shortly (doing some qualification upgrading) but for now am still using my old-school ways and knowledge of my own hearing and room acoustics

ps my advice on getting genelecs or jbl is based on a survey of medium to large studios and what they are using

Last edited:
Back