Yet another PC Build. Help!

Dvizer

So im building a new pc purely for music production. There will be nothing else on this computer. Curious as to what you guys think of this build considering i cant find anything on these motherboards for music production. I'll be using Fl studio 10 for now but with my audio interface and power behind the computer i want to leave some room for pro tools, cubase and whatnot. So here it is so far.

NOTE:
i havent yet decided on a solid state drive any help there would be appreciated.

DESKTOP PC:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor
RAM: 16GB Kingston's HyperX 16GB KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme9 ATX
Video Card: GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST (Really anything that has 2 DVI ports for Dual Screen)
PSU: ???
CPU Cooler: PHANTEKS PH-TC14PE
Case: ???
HD: 1TB total SSD
Firewire
USB 3.0
USB 2.0

Max: $2500

AUDIO INTERFACE:

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 Audio & MIDI Interface

MONITOR SPEAKERS

2 X YAMAHA HS80M Monitor
1 X YAMAHA HS10w Sub Woofer

MIDI INPUT DEVICE:

xiosynth keyboard

I think the graphics card may be overkill unless you're using 3 or more screens. Also, I'd say go for a gigabyte motherboard with Socket 1155. If 16GB is the max ram you'll use, go for a Gigabyte ITX form factor. This will make your computer much smaller with the same performance. You can narrow down the specs at Newegg.com

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

This is a beast I built for a client: Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

I left the drives out of the list because the price of SSDs scare people.

Last edited:
16gb should be more than enough though hey, ssd price doesnt exactly scare me the only thing im worried about is noise interfering with recordings ive heard they can be pretty loud. Id also want a cd/dvd rw, that wouldn't cause any conflicts would it? Will the integrated graphics card support dual screens? The main reason I was thinking of that card was planning ahead 2 screens is a minimum. How did that computer you built run?

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Also size is not much of an issue, I wouldnt mind a larger computer with the options to expand, the main thing is insulation keeping in the sounds of the fan and whatnot

16gb should be more than enough though hey, ssd price doesnt exactly scare me the only thing im worried about is noise interfering with recordings ive heard they can be pretty loud.

SSDs don't make any noise, its the regular hard drives that do.

Id also want a cd/dvd rw, that wouldn't cause any conflicts would it?

No conflict

Will the integrated graphics card support dual screens? The main reason I was thinking of that card was planning ahead 2 screens is a minimum. How did that computer you built run?

Latest i7 processor with HD4000 chipset should power two monitors. Motherboard in the link has 2 HDMI ports. You can always get a cheaper dedicated card later. That 650 runs hot, and the result is a loud fan.

Also size is not much of an issue, I wouldnt mind a larger computer with the options to expand, the main thing is insulation keeping in the sounds of the fan and whatnot

Adding insulation inside is not recommend for computers because it also retains heat. Heat is your computer's enemy. You could put a barrier outside of the case to absorb sound, but avoid putting anything inside or blocking air flow. The motherboard has enough ports to hold all the space you need. Just stick with 2.5" 7200rpm drives if you're not using all SSDs.

Last edited:
Awesome thanks heaps hey! Im not too hardware savvy but is how many usb ports ou have limited to the motherboard? How many usb 2.0 and 3.0 slots can it have?

Yeah I had a quick glance over it will look at it more in depth when I get a chance to sit down!

Back