XP stuck in a loop will not boot to desktop

aslaton1

Hi,

I have a pc that just goes right to the screen that's say there was an error: then it gives you options to choose last known good configuration, safe mode etc. None of the options I choose work. I used my xp disk and went to the recovery console and ran chkdsk /r/p. I also tried to rebuild the the boot ini file and even tried to fixmbr and nothing works. I went to the bios and can see the pc is clearly reading the hard drive. Does anyone have any experience with this? What else can I do try and fix this problem. Oh yea the operating system is windows xp home.

Thanks In Advance

Could be a bad sector... sounds like a bad sector (could be something else).
If you split the drive up and have partition where nothing is stored do a fresh install on that partition.
Or try another hard drive if you happen to have one laying around.

No prob, I've had the hard drive go out like that before. Also, had a similar issue and the GPU had gone out, but that was on a laptop.

wuz up. Ok U have 2 options.

I take it u have information on the drive that u want to save. If not, then just reinstall the xp. But if u do have things on there that u want to just like Wha Chu Mean said. The hard drive is prolly startn to fail. If U have another hard drive that you can install xp on, then u can still read the files stored original hard drive, if its not bad.

Also like Wha Chu Meas said . . u should have the drive split up into different size partitions. Example, I have a 500gb drive. It split into like 4 different partitions.
1st Harddrive
1-35gb part. Used for the installation of xp
2-90.9 partition. Used for AUDIO
3-98.9 partion. Used for Samples
4-20.2 partion. Used for PROGRAMS ..where I install most the programs i use

2nd Harddrive
1-35gb partion. . MY BACK UP OF XP INSTALL WITH ALL PROGRAMS UPDATED
2-ETC .. . . . .

Do u see what im getting at? Take this opportunity to divide ur hard drive so if this happens again. U can have an up to date copy of ur OS with all the updates and ur programs install.

Hell, just for the hell of it I replace the current OS with a back up about erry 6months. Keeps the pc running smooth. Gets rid of anything ur computer may have, spyware virus etc.

Have you tried using the "Repair" options in the Windows XP cd...not thr recovery console but the Repair option,could help...

if it's bad sectors,something that's worked for me when I've had a dying hard drive was HDD Regenerator

Google it,I found it on Hiren's boot CD and it worked real damn good...

lemme know what happens

Have you tried using the "Repair" options in the Windows XP cd...not thr recovery console but the Repair option,could help...

if it's bad sectors,something that's worked for me when I've had a dying hard drive was HDD Regenerator

Google it,I found it on Hiren's boot CD and it worked real damn good...

lemme know what happens

I had an old copy of hiren's it has hdd regenerator v1.51; it is scanning right now hopefully this is the answer to the problem. Actually I did chose the repair option from the xp install disk I didn't mean to say the recovery console.

Last edited:
I had an old copy of hiren's it has hdd regenerator v1.51; it is scanning right now hopefully this is the answer to the problem. Actually I did chose the repair option from the xp install disk I didn't mean to say the recovery console.

Gotcha bro,it'll be a while,hopefully this fixes the issue...

there are some fixes on the microsoft site...but thyey didnt work for me....

my problem was with one of the video drivers....it would not even let me into safe mode all of the way........it would get hung up and then restart....

booty in safe mode and pay attention to the last driver that it attempts to load....

i ended up having to reformat the partition in NTFS format(it was in FAT32)....

just google the error message/driver....u should be able to find a fix if it's out there....

this happened to me 2 days ago....had to put my hardrive in my computer in my guest house and copy what i needed and reinstall windows.....1st lesson back up as much as possible....but how do u make a back up with programs already installed?

this happened to me 2 days ago....had to put my hardrive in my computer in my guest house and copy what i needed and reinstall windows.....1st lesson back up as much as possible....but how do u make a back up with programs already installed?

For anyone that wants to protect there data my advice would be to save your data on an external hard drive rather that your PC's hard drive and then copy this same data onto another hard drive regularly. If you want to recover all your programs you will need to use a software such as Norton ghost, this will make an image of your PC which can then be used in case you need to recover all of your programs.

My setup is as follows, I have 2 x 1 Terabyte drives that hold all my music file projects. Both of these drives contain the exact same data so if one fails I will resort to the other. The chance of both drives failing at the same time is still a possibility but a small one and a risk I choose to take. Also because I keep an image of my PC using Norton Ghost I will not need to reinstall all my programs again.

My personal solution has been just to backup all of my files.. wipe the drive clean.. and start from scratch.
I see it as an opportunity to start fresh again... and witgh everything backed up, u don't lose anything. I always find that there are programs and files i don't use and don't need... so it's an opportunity to get rid of them.

And just make sure you have all of the installation files for programs and all of the drivers the computer needs.

Last edited:
Back