Windows XP.....will it hurt?

B

Big Corleone

how ya doin.......? i'm runnin Win ME on my computer right now....and thinkin of a Win XP upgrade. any concerns or problems with it......? the software that i have.....(dont use much tho) is:

Cubase VST 32 5.0
Fruity Loops 3.0
Acid Pro 3.0
Vegas Audio 2.0
Sound Forge 5.0
Reason 1.0

will any of these programs be affected with the upgrade......? peace

I had win-me which drove me crazy so I went for win 2000 and couldn't be happier with the stability/compatability of my pc (unless it was a mac :D)
I think mano uses xp, you should wait for his answer. A friend of mine uses xp and tells me that it's great.

-Gene

mano......? how is XP? will it work with those programs? and what about other programs......? will it work and be stable.....?

Sorry dude but XP sucks...
XP does work good with Reason but it's justs eat your processor alive man...
But install it over your old system and if you don't like it just remove it again.

I reckon you should go for win 2000, its got loads of drivers and is more proven technology. Its main audience is business to its more stable. Plus it interlinks with the newer technology, alot of new stuff e.g. cubase sv says its compatible with win2000 and xp. So you wont miss out!!!!

"Windows XP.....will it hurt?" - Yes, but only if you shove the cd in your *** sideways..... :D :D :D sorry, it just came to me, I know I'm bad :cry:

-Gene

NorthTune said:
Sorry dude but XP sucks...
XP does work good with Reason but it's justs eat your processor alive man...

now... what .. are you talking about?

XP is GREAT sorry!
OPTIMIZE IT man!

Why do I like XP? Because you can tweak it MORE than ever (pretty much like a linux box actually). You can control every single parameter of the OS as you wish. Also it is more stable.

I have XP Pro on one partition of my drive, and I boot to it ONLY for my audio work. It is very very optimized. I modified many configuration files, disabled MOST services, and turned off all the effects.

I use Cubase VST 5 + Pulsar2 on Windows XP PRO and I NEVER crash. Furthermore, the CPU is barely used at all.

Take control of your OS, use multiple boots and partitions for different tasks... if you are smart about how you use your OS you'll be fine.

just create a new partition on your drive, install ONLY windows XP Pro + sequencer + other music socftware... the STRICT MINIMUM. Turn off all the services you don't need (there are +50 of them using CPU cycles you can turn off for music work)\

I am a bit tired of false rumors propagated about OS'es. Pre-2000 os's sucked I agree. but times have changed.

I think I'll write an article one day, with actual benchmarks, sttress test and all.

Take control of your OS, use multiple boots and partitions for different tasks... if you are smart about how you use your OS you'll be fine.

This is the key to a any clean running OS.

Partitioning is of most importance for disk performance and OS tweaks ensure that nothing is interupting disk access when dealing with audio.

I may upgrade to XP one day soon :)

fluxtah

Been using Xp for 6 months now and love it. I've had some problems here and there but not many.

I use cubase 5.1 and reason fine in XP as well as wavelab 4 any numerous plugins and softsynths. Nothing has been a problem so far.

ManoOne,

Hey, I'm a new guy to really tweaking computers to get the perfect set-up for doing computer audio and I was wondering if you could offer any suggestions. I have an Athlon 1700+XP, 512MB, two 7200 RPM 30GB HD, a CDRW. I've got Win98SE installed on one drive and XP Pro on the other. I've read that you mention turning off services that run in the background of the OS. How do I do that, and where do I find these things on my computer? XP Pro is going to be my main music OS while 98Se houses all of the same programs, plus my web design/graphic design gear. Do I have to install each music program on each drive or can I run some from the other drive? Does that depend on the program as well?

Sorry about inudating you with a million questions but I really want to get my computer tweaked and running smooth. Thanks for your help.

all your music programs go on your music OS. Just dont install all your programs if you dont use them often. Install only those you really need.

to turn off services, go to yoru control panel, then administrative tools then Services.

youll see services and what they do. double click on one and choose the STARTUP TYPE.

USE CAREFULLY. I didnt explain which ones to disable or enable so im not responsible if your pc ccrashes.. this is an advanced user operation!

also... go to your display settings and turn off all the effects and goodies (rounded edges, smoothing, etc.). your XP will look like 2000 after that but it releaves the CPU and memory a lot.

man.. we should really make a good write up on this... I haven't found a good site for tweaking your XP for audio performance yet...

I'm about to format and install XP from scratch. I DO NOT recommend upgrading from 2k. I've encountered a lot of minor problems that wouldn't be there, had I installed fresh.

fatlace youre right, its much better ot install a fresh OS than upgrading.

and yes, we should do an article :).. rigth now im working on the new site but well do that sometime

Back