will an audio interface make audio quality better than usb mic

Wedges2

AlphaMelee
I have a 100 dollar usb mic right now and I'm considering buying like a 200 dollar audio interface and like a 100 dollar microphone and I'm just wondering will there be a big enough difference in audio quality from this set up rather than my usb mic to justify 300 dollars worth of gear?

It would be big help if you post some more info about what you are recording and how you are going about it .

To hazard a guess , I would say that you could learn with what you have , save the money and invest wiser with the experience later .

Well hip hop through the Samson CU10 to the usb port through ASIO drivers that I just got off the internet (asio4all) into PreSonus STudio one. Thats it really I mean I thought If I got a firewire audio interface and say a 100 dollar condensor mic it would help will it help enough to justify 300 dollars spending

The quality of an audio recording is limited only by it's weakest link. Be that microphone, pre-amp, monitoring, artist skill, mixing skills, etc. It's not always the equipment that is the weakest link...

$300 is the BARE minimum you should spend on EITHER a mic OR a pre-amp/audio interface for a decent quality recording. Not both.

So to expect to get good quality with only $300 spent between them is not a good look.

Look at one item at a time, and how it's going to work into your setup both now AND in the future. There's no reason to upgrade now only to realize you have to upgrade both pieces again in the near future.

Like foggy said, save your money and look at 2 pieces of quality gear that will do what you want now and not hold you back in the future. Also, tell us WHAT you are recording, and HOW you are doing it. What is your process for recording?

You might look up FP member Morning_Star and look through his posts. He is constantly making suggestions for people with similar needs to yours but with low budgets. The thing is, you gotta learn and decide what you need now and what you want to do in the future to make a good choice.

It doesn't sound like it would be a big improvement... unless you're able to find quality equipment for very cheap on a 2nd hand market.
You'd probably want to upgrade again anyway.. so instead of upgrading from inexpensive gear to inexpensive gear, it would probably be in your best interests to save some more and get good mid-range gear in the $500-$600 range.

It's like going from a Saturn to a Hyundai (no offense to anyone owning those cars lol.. just an example).. you're still going to want to upgrade. Might as well save up a little extra and go from the Saturn to the Honda. Then, when you start making money on your music... buy the Acura... and eventually buy the Benz.

ok thank you guys I'll just save and buy say a 300 dollar audio interface and a 300 dollar mic thank you.

ok thank you guys I'll just save and buy say a 300 dollar audio interface and a 300 dollar mic thank you.

Good choice. But remember 300 is about the minimum you should look at spending. I just don't want you to walk away from this with the mindset that you're only looking to spend $300 for each piece.

You should be looking at spending like $500-600 on each piece if you want to start making some good quality recordings, but believe me I know how tight money is for some right now...just keep doing research.

Peace!

With the addition to all of the above, you also have to take into account the recording environment. Most home studio's do not have the acoustics of a pro environment. Even with the best gear your stuff will sound like crap until you also pay attention to the acoustics of your environment. There is a lot of free information regarding this on the internet, hope that helps.

Back