This is why you DON"T buy a mac for music

^
how stable is your desktop hackintosh?

the specs seem to be easy to find http://www.hackintosh.com/

not arguing just curious. and this isn't pirating... just curious because you can by osx and install from what I have read so far..

Lol no argument intended. Here to help out. There's 2 methods, using a hacked version of osx or use the legal DVD with custom kexts. I did the legal method and it works pretty well but every once in a while my FireWire 410 won't have sound at startup and I gotta reboot. I built it using all the recommended parts. I also have a mac mini that is like my media center box for my tv. For laptops I have yet to see a 100% working version of osx. Usually there's some sort of compromise like sleep not always working but those things may not be important lol. U can check insanelymac for the recommended guides. For laptops the Dell xps 15 and studio 14z are good choices if u use the legit method. the $30 snow leopard DVD will go on. Just get the nvidia card as that is needed to get resolutions or run certain apps, logic I think being one of them. I

You are far better off getting an Audio Technica aT2020 for around $99 (Same price as SM57).

It's always better to record something as clean as possible then dirty it up. Because there is no way to clean up something that is recorded dirty in the first place.

But I see what you mean though.

The Studio Projects B1 seems to be a well-liked condenser microphone for the same price point.

I never used to like Mac computers, but now that I own one, I must chip in. To Apple's defense, they're not competing with Dell. Apple is competing with Sony and other high-end manufacturers, not cheap competitors. And in their chosen league, they're rated pretty highly.

I have a 27" iMac. It was well worth the money. The only reason I ended up with it is because I turned my quadcore PC into a Hackintosh, and was using Logic for about 4 weeks. I made the best 2 beats of my life with Logic. The workflow just works for me. I decided that the extra money for the iMac and Logic 9 (I had tested Logic 8) would be worth it.

If Logic was available for Windows, I might never have made the switch. But the iMacs are great value, IMO.

yeah that's true.. mac r way too expensive. just recently I got dell studio 15 downgraded to XP and its crazy

2.8 GHZ core2duo 1333 fsb 6MB CACHE
320 HDD (7200 rpm)
4 GB RAM

$1200

macs dont even have this processor (unless I'm behind)

And your Studio 15 will seem all fine and dandy UNTIL!!!!

you wanna DJ with serato or traktor

OR preform live with a firewire Interface

THEN, its SUX, giganitic monkey balls!

-----

excuse my dell hating, im just pissed off, if you have found a way to get your studio 15 to work well with firewire and not have all that glitching and popping in the background, let me know!

And your Studio 15 will seem all fine and dandy UNTIL!!!!

you wanna DJ with serato or traktor

OR preform live with a firewire Interface

THEN, its SUX, giganitic monkey balls!

-----

excuse my dell hating, im just pissed off, if you have found a way to get your studio 15 to work well with firewire and not have all that glitching and popping in the background, let me know!

Your studio 15 should work very nicely, I'm guessing its specs beat my Inspiron's specs, and my Inspiron can handle that task great.

I'm assuming there's a problem with your audio interface (maybe you set the buffer too low, or aren't using the correct ASIO drivers). Realistically, FireWire and USB were never designed to be used for real-time playback from audio interfaces. It's truly amazing that anyone has been able to accomplish anything acceptable with them. Look into Expresscard (fits in that expansion port on your Dell that is probably stuffed with a black thing) if you're trying to do realtime audio.
Echo's Indigo is perfect and has two models: DJx for DJs and IOx for studio recording:
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/ExpressCard/index.php
It's the ultimate laptop interface, but you will need to buy an external preamp.

Your studio 15 should work very nicely, I'm guessing its specs beat my Inspiron's specs, and my Inspiron can handle that task great.

I'm assuming there's a problem with your audio interface (maybe you set the buffer too low, or aren't using the correct ASIO drivers). Realistically, FireWire and USB were never designed to be used for real-time playback from audio interfaces. It's truly amazing that anyone has been able to accomplish anything acceptable with them. Look into Expresscard (fits in that expansion port on your Dell that is probably stuffed with a black thing) if you're trying to do realtime audio.
Echo's Indigo is perfect and has two models: DJx for DJs and IOx for studio recording:
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/ExpressCard/index.php
It's the ultimate laptop interface, but you will need to buy an external preamp.

Ok, first off, there is no problem with my audio interface, I'm running it off my PC as we speak (using traktor and ableton) and its runs flawlessly.

As far as using the right ASIO Drive theres only one I can use, that being Korg Zero 4 Asio, so its defianlty the right driver, I even have it set at 10 ms latency for better performance ( i have it at 1 ms on my pc)

It still sounds like ****, if you know of any actual solution the the popping and clicking sounds Im gettin, that would be wonderful if you could help me out.

but Native instruments has a Massive thread on this problem for dell studio 15's
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82401

So an express card might help, but im kinda at the end of my rope here...

Ok, first off, there is no problem with my audio interface, I'm running it off my PC as we speak (using traktor and ableton) and its runs flawlessly.

As far as using the right ASIO Drive theres only one I can use, that being Korg Zero 4 Asio, so its defianlty the right driver, I even have it set at 10 ms latency for better performance ( i have it at 1 ms on my pc)

It still sounds like ****, if you know of any actual solution the the popping and clicking sounds Im gettin, that would be wonderful if you could help me out.

but Native instruments has a Massive thread on this problem for dell studio 15's
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82401

So an express card might help, but im kinda at the end of my rope here...

yeah it can come down to certain motherboards when there are problems with audio interfaces, but thats rare. i do know that Pro Tools/Digidesign interfaces for example are known to be fussy with certain motherboards or if you use an expresscard based firewire port. are you using the dell's 4-pin firewire port or an expresscard-based firewire port? You may want to try the 6-pin expresscard based firewire port and see what happens. you can order one off amazon, newegg, or tigerdirect. they start at like $30 and it should power your interface so you wont need the AC adaptor if 4-pin power requires it. hope that helps!

yeah it can come down to certain motherboards when there are problems with audio interfaces, but thats rare. i do know that Pro Tools/Digidesign interfaces for example are known to be fussy with certain motherboards or if you use an expresscard based firewire port. are you using the dell's 4-pin firewire port or an expresscard-based firewire port? You may want to try the 6-pin expresscard based firewire port and see what happens. you can order one off amazon, newegg, or tigerdirect. they start at like $30 and it should power your interface so you wont need the AC adaptor if 4-pin power requires it. hope that helps!

Im using the 4 pin, I cant find an Expresscard anywhere, so Ill have to order one online.

Although either way I have to use an AC adapter (korg zero 4 requires one for it to run)

I dunno if you checked out the NI forum, but it is still un unsolved problem for the Dell Studio 15

I would like to invest in a firewire card assuming it solves my problem, but I dont know if that would solve the popping/clicking issue

Im using the 4 pin, I cant find an Expresscard anywhere, so Ill have to order one online.

Although either way I have to use an AC adapter (korg zero 4 requires one for it to run)

I dunno if you checked out the NI forum, but it is still un unsolved problem for the Dell Studio 15

I would like to invest in a firewire card assuming it solves my problem, but I dont know if that would solve the popping/clicking issue

ah ok. I have a firewire 410 and if I use 4-pin, I have to use an AC adapter to power it but if I use a 6-pin, the PC/laptop will power it and the AC isnt needed. Wow, I just now read that thread, that really sucks! so regardless of soundcard/Windows OS being used, only the internal one seems to support audio apps without the drops/spikes/popping and with that you get a bunch of latency. am i right? Either way, I really wish you good luck with getting all of that resolved.

People who are too lazy to run a pc should get a mac. And don't take it personal. Some people can't drive a car so they use public transportation.

I been using pc's since 2002 and never had any major problems with anything. And if .... it usually take some research on google on the problem is gone.

Very true.

I don't think it's about being lazy. It's about what you are comfortable working with.
I started off with Apple in High School back in '84 but been using PC's for music since '93. Now I have a '08 MBP with Logic and can easily flow from Logic to Cubase to Pro Tools to Live to Fruity Loops with no problem because of being open minded and willing to learn about various OS platforms and DAW programs.
IMHO... pick a computer, max out the RAM and use it to it to it's fullest extent with DAW applications. Spend more time making your songs and less time debating about what computer to make your songs with.

this will not help anyone but made me laugh

http://www.ninjapirate.com/newcomputer.html

LMMFBAO!!! It's true what he says on the bottom of the page. I don't know how many frineds of mine have told me that they need a new faster computer to just check email, check facebook, work MS Office documents and d/l pron (!). Come to find out their taskbar looks like this:
cpu-taskbar.jpg

and have 109 process running in the background of their Windows OS laptop/desktop. No wonder their schit is slow!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back