This is why you DON"T buy a mac for music

Salem Beats

Ki from Salem-Beats.com
This is why you DON'T buy a mac for music:
I am including specs of my custom-built Dell laptop and Apple's equivalent. For simplicity's sake, I'm only including the specs that have an impact on a computer's performance as a DAW. Note the price differences for a very similar setup.

Dell Inspiron 15" ($623)

• 15" HD Widescreen
  • 2.40GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 (with 1033MHz FSB! :bigeyes:)
  • 4GB RAM @ 800MHz
  • 320GB Hard Drive @ 5200 RPM
  • 3 USB 2.0 ports (Intel chipset :))

MacBookPro 15" ($1699)
compare_macbookpro15_20090828.png

• 15" HD Widescreen
  • 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Apple wouldn't specify the exact model, so it most likely has a 800MHz FSB. Apple would make a big deal out of a higher FSB.)
  • 4GB RAM @ 1033MHz (The slightly higher clock rate is a marketing gimmick -- most dual-core processors in this performance range aren't even putting a strain on 800MHz RAM)
  • 250GB Hard Drive @ 5200 RPM
  • 2 USB 2.0 Ports (Intel chipset :))
  • 1 Firewire 800 port

Difference in price: -$1076
What can you do with +$1076?

$200: Epic Soundcard (Indigo IOx)
Screw the whole USB vs Firewire war. This blows both of those outta the water, and makes both completely irrelevant. Indigo's IOx soundcard uses the same PCI-Express technology that's been blessing pro gamers with blazingly-fast graphics.
The IOx gives me a stable 1 millisecond (1/1000th of a second) delay for processor-intense individual instruments (i.e. Omnisphere). I get a stable 2 millisecond (1/500th of a second) delay for an entire project with multiple synths, ROMplers, EQs, compressors, reverbs, etc. I can drum the most intricate patterns on my padKONTROL with no perceptible delay whatsoever. Has some of the clearest AD/DA converters, and a 24-bit/96khz analog input so you can use the finest preamps money can buy, which brings me to...

$565: Epic Preamp (Grace m101)
The Grace m101 is well-recommended from people who are used to owning high-end microphone preamps. In order to keep its price this low, Grace skimped only on the number of inputs (you get one input). Don't let me tell you about it though. Go look at reviews for yourself, or find one to test out. This thing is an ultimate preamp for any budget. Now that we have an amazing preamp, why don't we test it out with a...

$99: Legendary Microphone (Shure sm57)
Many would be surprised that you would use a stage microphone as a serious solution for recording vocals. However, this thing sounds amazing through the epic preamp that we've already "purchased". It doesn't sound as "natural" and "transparent" as a condenser mic, but that's great -- music listeners in general would rather have a processed, exciting sound instead of the transparent type of sound that they hear from day-to-day. The sm57 is legendary for its durability, and it won't pick up annoying room reflections, your computer fans, or the traffic of your street like a condenser mic would. Now that we've got our recording system set up, let's get a...

$100: Epic Drum Controller (Korg padKONTROL)
The padKONTROL's pads are widely regarded as the most sensitive pads on a controller. Period. More sensitive than an MPC. More sensitive than anything else you've tried. Now I know that these retail for $200, but you can get one in like-new condition off of eBay for $100 (I got one for $61 plus shipping, and it works just as well as the one I bought new for $200 from Musician's Friend :)). Your natural sense of rhythm will shine brightly on every one of your mixes.

$35: A nice new shirt at the mall or something
Guess what? After all this, we still have $35 to mess with. You were just going to blow it on a well-advertised, overpriced computer, so you might as well get a well-advertised, overpriced piece of clothing instead. :cheers:

I would like to note that my computer works very well with all of these components that I would not be able to afford if I had bought a Mac. In spite of the huge strain I put on it at any given moment, my Dell laptop has never crashed and always achieves stellar performance. As a bonus, the entire setup looks very sleek, and all of the components fit together in a 20" laptop backpack for portable gigging and studio-quality recording sessions.

I would like this post to be stickied.

Last edited:
yeah that's true.. mac r way too expensive. just recently I got dell studio 15 downgraded to XP and its crazy

2.8 GHZ core2duo 1333 fsb 6MB CACHE
320 HDD (7200 rpm)
4 GB RAM

$1200

macs dont even have this processor (unless I'm behind)

I am on my Mac right now....

While I certainly agree that SPEC-WISE you can almost always get twice as much, for half the price. (ram/hdd/etc)

I will say that I have nothing against a Windows PC but DELL is straight garbage and just because you haven't had a problem yet don't count on that lasting very long. They use the crappiest components and put them into PCs at affordable prices so you think your getting a great value for the money, but instead your getting terrible components from a lackluster company. I recommend a HP, Sony, or Toshiba. This isn't biased I have owned a number of Dells and they suck.

The problem with this comparison is you fail to mention a lot of the Mac's features that cannot be bought.

The screen? Amazing
The trackpad? Even better. My laptop workflow increased 10x with the trackpad it truly is great.
Software Updates? Mac comes with GREAT software stock and the software is constantly updated and approved and the whole process works so much better then on other operating systems.
Aluminum body? My old laptops case was falling apart. With the unibody aluminum your getting unmatched durability.

Not to mention the components used in a stock Mac surpass the junk parts in cheaper PC laptops.

IMO OS X is far better then Windows and Ive only been using a Mac for a few months. Thats all it took after using Windows OS for years.

I own both. I hold no bias; but if your gonna make the comparison you can't single out the features that make them better and hide the flaws.

Your whole premise is flawed. I understand where you coming from, but Mac users pay for the included software, and the OS, which most people are quite fond of. Not too mention the unibody aluminum construction and quality of components (like Inverted spoke of above). Also, you can get the 13.3" Mac Book for $999, granted you lose 1.7" of screen size but it makes it more portable and most producers who use laptops have a desktop LCD as well.

There is no doubt that you can get a PC for less $, but people keep paying for Mac's and there market share continues to grow! I think you got a great buy and that's awesome that you dig your purchase (which is really what its all about), but I wouldn't assume that the whole reason people buy computers is on price point or base specs? If that were true, Apple wouldn't be in business, let alone be a growing business when most all other computer companies are faltering.

I have never known a Mac user who didn't like their Mac and switched to PC, on the contrary, I have known tons of people who got tired of Windows and switched to Mac? I think that speaks volumes! In fact, I am one of them. I used PC's for over 12 years and switched to Mac about 5 years ago and would never go back.

Not to mention, you can run both OSX and Windows on your Mac (legally) and I know some will say that you can run Mac OSX on a PC and that's true, but from what I have seen is a huge pain in the a$$. When and if that becomes an easier thing to accomplish then I think you will have a point.

ONE

Edit: I almost didn't even post because I just want these what's better arguments to end! Who cares? If you like it, then your all good! Why bother with what someone else wants to use and why? It seems to go on and on and on with no end in sight! Its obvious that people like different things for different reasons, I say let it be!

Last edited:
I can counter your argument with "why you don't buy laptops" and show you a desktop that surpasses the specs of that Dell with an included 22inch screen for about $200 cheaper.

I am on my Mac right now....

While I certainly agree that SPEC-WISE you can almost always get twice as much, for half the price. (ram/hdd/etc)

I will say that I have nothing against a Windows PC but DELL is straight garbage and just because you haven't had a problem yet don't count on that lasting very long. They use the crappiest components and put them into PCs at affordable prices so you think your getting a great value for the money, but instead your getting terrible components from a lackluster company. I recommend a HP, Sony, or Toshiba. This isn't biased I have owned a number of Dells and they suck.

The problem with this comparison is you fail to mention a lot of the Mac's features that cannot be bought.

The screen? Amazing
The trackpad? Even better. My laptop workflow increased 10x with the trackpad it truly is great.
Software Updates? Mac comes with GREAT software stock and the software is constantly updated and approved and the whole process works so much better then on other operating systems.
Aluminum body? My old laptops case was falling apart. With the unibody aluminum your getting unmatched durability.

Not to mention the components used in a stock Mac surpass the junk parts in cheaper PC laptops.

IMO OS X is far better then Windows and Ive only been using a Mac for a few months. Thats all it took after using Windows OS for years.

I own both. I hold no bias; but if your gonna make the comparison you can't single out the features that make them better and hide the flaws.

I suppose I've never had ANY of the problems you're speaking of.

The screen on my Dell? Not amazing (slightly lower resolution, by a hair), but just fine for DAW purposes.
The trackpad? I never touch it. One of my USB ports is always stuffed with an external mouse. Can't get $hit done with any trackpad. Mac trackpads aren't any more usable.
Software Updates? My XP SP3 works just fine, and so did SP2, and so did SP1. I didn't own XP before SP1, so I wouldn't know anything about that.
The body? It's made of plastic, but I treat my computers and electronics right, so it's easy to not have a problem. My microKONTROL is made of 1/2 aluminum, but that doesn't mean that I'm tricked into thinking that it's any more durable that my computer. It's just a more expensive material driving up the price of my product for no good reason.

What if your main DAW is logic? Or DP?

Then you should slap yourself in the face and buy+learn a cross-platform DAW. Logic used to be cross-platform, but then Apple acquired it, crowned it (by their own marketing) as the be-all, end-all DAW, and then said... well if you want it, you gotta get a mac.

Apple is a marketing company first and foremost. If you buy a Mac computer, you should feel as dumb as if you'd bought a Kirby vacuum with all the fancy attachments from a door-to-door salesman. It's a very similar situation.

When will the pc users learn that its not about the specs but about the ease and fluidity of the operating system? When i got my mac i essentially downgraded if we look at specs alone but now, using logic, i can run more tracks and have more applications and vsts all running at the same time than i could on my "more powerful" pc. In the end its all personal preference. I prefer my mac that works flawlessly with its limited specs. Ill tell you i have a mac mini with 2 gigs of ram and 1.6 ghz processor and i run projects with 60+ tracks a little less than half of those being vsts and all of them with effects applied. And its smooth! Now you show me and pc that does the same and we will talk...

you can get the 13.3" Mac Book for $999, granted you lose 1.7" of screen size but it makes it more portable and most producers who use laptops have a desktop LCD as well.

Underneath the keyboard, there is less space for powerful components to fit. I didn't compare to the regular MacBook because it:
1) Has a weaker processor (and cannot be upgraded on Apple's site)
2) Comes with 2GB less RAM (costs $100 to upgrade to 4GB)
3) Has a smaller hard drive (costs $50 to upgrade to 320GB)
4) Has a smaller screen (but you mentioned that already)

The purpose was to fairly compare the prices of two nearly identical computers, and that was the purpose that I achieved.

Last edited:
When will the pc users learn that its not about the specs but about the ease and fluidity of the operating system? When i got my mac i essentially downgraded if we look at specs alone but now, using logic, i can run more tracks and have more applications and vsts all running at the same time than i could on my "more powerful" pc. In the end its all personal preference. I prefer my mac that works flawlessly with its limited specs. Ill tell you i have a mac mini with 2 gigs of ram and 1.6 ghz processor and i run projects with 60+ tracks a little less than half of those being vsts and all of them with effects applied. And its smooth! Now you show me and pc that does the same and we will talk...

first off, you music sounds real nice...

but which one of the tracks on your myspace page have 60 tracks?

I can counter your argument with "why you don't buy laptops" and show you a desktop that surpasses the specs of that Dell with an included 22inch screen for about $200 cheaper.

Yea, I know, I kicked around the idea of getting a desktop in my head, but I do portable recording for people, and a laptop makes that a lot easier. Musical inspiration never seems to strike me at home, so I take my laptop with me everywhere I go, and when I get an idea, I can quickly get it recorded.

one last point about cheap components...

there are too many dell machine in corporate america for the components to be that cheap...

why would a major corporation invest into machines knowing that they do not last...

please keep in mind that all computers do is add 0s and 1s...

whether you doing spread sheets or making a banger...

first off, you music sounds real nice...

but which one of the tracks on your myspace page have 60 tracks?

First off thanks. The stuff on my myspace is just tracks that i have laying around that i really am not doing anything with. So alot of that stuff is more simplified as far as instrumentation and number of tracks go.

The song that has 60 tracks is a fully referenced R&B track that is currently being shopped. Thats why its not on the myspace.

My Dell can do that, no problem. Now what was it you wanted to talk about?

My Dell can do that, no problem. Now what was it you wanted to talk about?

so you're telling me that your dell can run multiple applications (not just your daw) with 60+ plus tracks, half being vst instruments, and all of the tracks having their own effects...no bussing..riiiggghhhhtttt. more power to you then bro. Nothing to talk about.

Last edited:
Back