This is why you DON"T buy a mac for music

so you're telling me that your dell can run multiple applications (not just your daw) with 60+ plus tracks, half being vst instruments, and all of the tracks having their own effects...no bussing..riiiggghhhhtttt. more power to you then bro. Nothing to talk about.

first off, good luck with your music. it does sound nice...

question, why would anyone run multiple apps while working in a DAW?

that would get in the way of the workflow (imo)...

plus, mac users make it seem like macs never crash...

in logic latest update one of the updates was better stability...

go to the cubase forum and see all the problems cubase and macs has...

it is a fact that ableton live runs better on a pc...

i am not knocking the mac but it is just another machine/computer that adds 0s and 1s....

period...

it (the mac) has faults too...

first off, good luck with your music. it does sound nice...

question, why would anyone run multiple apps while working in a DAW?

that would get in the way of the workflow (imo)...

plus, mac users make it seem like macs never crash...

in logic latest update one of the updates was better stability...

go to the cubase forum and see all the problems cubase and macs has...

it is a fact that ableton live runs better on a pc...

i am not knocking the mac but it is just another machine/computer that adds 0s and 1s....

period...

it (the mac) has faults too...

Running multiple applications along with my daw is not something i normally do but my mac is capable of doing so. Thats was the point of saying that.

Secondly, i never said i dont have problems with my mac and that there are no crashes or hiccups but they few and far between in comparison to MY previous pc setup. I cant speak for anyone else but this is just my experience with my computers.

i feel a large portion of any computer crashing is computer power or the lack of...

computers usually crashes when the work load is too heavy...

whether you are a mac or pc...

again, i am not knocking the mac but any machine with enough power can handle any situation...

^^

i hear where you are coming from...

it seems like you are a sample based producer/beat maker...

you can make sample beats on a pIII machine...

power is not a issue when sampling...

^^

i hear where you are coming from...

it seems like you are a sample based producer/beat maker...

you can make sample beats on a pIII machine...

power is not a issue when sampling...

try adding basslines, instrumentation, bridges, timestretch, filters, automation, ect. You're doing it wrong.

Last edited:
so you're telling me that your dell can run multiple applications (not just your daw) with 60+ plus tracks, half being vst instruments, and all of the tracks having their own effects...no bussing..riiiggghhhhtttt. more power to you then bro. Nothing to talk about.

Now we're adding bussing requirements and background application requirements?

I wouldn't know anything about my DAW's performance while running Firefox or anything -- I'm a focused person and I don't have time for screwing around with other programs while I'm trying to finish a track.

"Vst" is a very broad term. I can guess with a good amount of accuracy that I could literally run 200 Hypersonics and I'd be sitting at probably 50-60% of my CPU's cycles. However, I couldn't get CLOSE to that many with Omnisphere. What are these "Vsts"?

And did you not read the specs on my Dell? My computer blows your computer straight outta the water, of course I can run more stuff than you. Wanna know whats REALLY important though? I can run all of the stuff I need at perfect speed.

Last edited:
recommendation for omnisphere/trilian are 4 GB machines...

that means 64-bit systems...

32-bit apps can only see 3.5 GB...

Last edited:
Now we're adding bussing requirements and background application requirements?

I wouldn't know anything about my DAW's performance while running Firefox or anything -- I'm a focused person and I don't have time for screwing around with other programs while I'm trying to finish a track.

"Vst" is a very broad term. I can guess with a good amount of accuracy that I could literally run 200 Hypersonics and I'd be sitting at probably 50-60% of my CPU's cycles. However, I couldn't get CLOSE to that many with Omnisphere. What are these "Vsts"?

nobody is "adding" anything. all of this was stated in my original post. my questions was with the same specs as my mac, show me a pc that performs equally...simple question. If yours does..great, if it doesnt dont get offended, its not that serious.

Not sure, also not sure what that has to do with anything. Are you saying people only sample with FL? What current DAW is getting close to it's full capabilities even with sampling on a P3?

not sure what you are saying...

my point is it does not take as much computer power to create a sample beat as it is with today top shelve vsti...

period...

recommendation for omnisphere/trilian are 4 GB machines...

that means 64-bit systems...

32-bit apps can only see 3.5 GB...

32-bit "apps" can only really "see" 2GB, and 32-bit operating systems "see" a full 4GB. XP splits RAM halfway between the operating system and the programs it runs by default.

The "/3gb" boot switch changes that ratio to 3GB for apps and 1GB for the kernel.

The "/PAE" boot switch also allows a 64-bit-capable processor (like the Core 2 Duo P8600) to access more than 4GB of RAM on a 32-bit OS.

In other words... My XP SP3 32-bit is still in business. :rolleyes:

32-bit "apps" can only really "see" 2GB, and 32-bit operating systems "see" a full 4GB. XP splits RAM halfway between the operating system and the programs it runs by default.

The "/3gb" boot switch changes that ratio to 3GB for apps and 1GB for the kernel.

The "/PAE" boot switch also allows a 64-bit-capable processor (like the Core 2 Duo P8600) to access more than 4GB of RAM on a 32-bit OS.

In other words... My XP SP3 32-bit is still in business. :rolleyes:

thanks that is good to know...

on my p4 running xp with only 2 GB omnisphere would not function properly...

but with my i7 920 9 gb of drr3 running vista 64 i cant get my machine to break a sweat...

nobody is "adding" anything. all of this was stated in my original post. my questions was with the same specs as my mac, show me a pc that performs equally...simple question. If yours does..great, if it doesnt dont get offended, its not that serious.

I'm not offended at all. A mac cannot "do more with the same specs". You talk with me as though a Mac is a mythical creature that I've never used before. I've done a lot of beat-collabos, and trust me, I've used a MacBook Pro. It was very expensive and cool looking, and didn't perform any better than my Dell.

I repeat: It worked just as good as my dell, so I'm not knocking the performance, but for the same amount of performance, it cost $1100 more.

I'm not some Apple hater either, I like my iPod Touch a lot more than the Zune I used to have.

It's my duty here to help people spend their money wisely, and that's why I care. An Apple really is the Kirby Vacuum of computers.

thanks that is good to know...

on my p4 running xp with only 2 GB omnisphere would not function properly...

but with my i7 920 9 gb of drr3 running vista 64 i cant get my machine to break a sweat...

I wish I could afford an i7 laptop. :bigeyes: I think the price range for a higher-end i7 laptop is something like $3000 right now haha.

I suppose I've never had ANY of the problems you're speaking of.

The screen on my Dell? Not amazing (slightly lower resolution, by a hair), but just fine for DAW purposes.
The trackpad? I never touch it. One of my USB ports is always stuffed with an external mouse. Can't get $hit done with any trackpad. Mac trackpads aren't any more usable.
Software Updates? My XP SP3 works just fine, and so did SP2, and so did SP1. I didn't own XP before SP1, so I wouldn't know anything about that.
The body? It's made of plastic, but I treat my computers and electronics right, so it's easy to not have a problem. My microKONTROL is made of 1/2 aluminum, but that doesn't mean that I'm tricked into thinking that it's any more durable that my computer. It's just a more expensive material driving up the price of my product for no good reason.

You are looking past the features. You obviously do not perform with your computer or you would understand why these features make a difference.

Mac trackpads aren't anymore usable? I can raise or lower the volume of the track I am on just by putting two fingers on the pad and moving them in the direction of preference and that is only one example. Especially when you want to switch between apps it is much quicker.

I'm not gonna argue with you over software updates. I've been using XP for years and OS X is simply superior in every way. All the programs that come on OS X integrate with each other and your favorite apps. It's just better.

The body. Once again you obviously aren't performing live or in situations of putting abuse on your system. The aluminum is great for mobile DJs and touring musicians. At least mine is.

But it's whatever.
I thought about going back to PC because they are cheaper but only if I could successfully Hackintosh it. I gave away my Dell; even with a fresh reboot it can barely run Facebook let alone any music application and it's only a few years old.

I do dig the HP Envy Macbook clone though... i7 laptop. If it was cheaper I would seriously consider it.

To the guy who mentioned Dells being everywhere in corporate america.... that's because they are like $7 for the full computer and monitor to schools and business.

Back