USB Audio Interfaces - 8 Mic Pres

nate_garcia

I'm debating on getting the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R or Tascam US1641. They both have 8 mic pres. But the Tascam has extra line ins. I would prefer to be using Pro Tools. If not Logic. I'm using a macbook that doesn't have firewire. If it had firewire there wouldn't be a problem. Its mostly gonna be used for drums. Can anybody recommend me anything?

What model Macbook is it? Every single Macbook (and everything Apple laptop since 2001) has firewire. So I don't really understand how you can habe a Macbook (Or an Apple product) That doesn't have it.

i think word on the street here is that the Fast Track is a good interface.
You should do a search on it... people have talked about it.

I haven't heard much about the Tascam

i think word on the street here is that the Fast Track is a good interface.
You should do a search on it... people have talked about it.

I haven't heard much about the Tascam

Yeah i hear a lot about the fast track stuff. The tascam has more features and only 299. The fast track is 499 but guitar center pricematches and i saw it for 439

I have read in several places that usb can be troublesome when you get over four tracks of audio .

Can you get an firewire card for the laptop ?

I have read in several places that usb can be troublesome when you get over four tracks of audio .

Can you get an firewire card for the laptop ?

Four tracks of audio w/ USB? Uhhh no.. lol, you can get much more than that.
Firewire is much better, but that information about USB is way incorrect.

No. The data transfer would bottleneck at the conversion point from FireWire to USB. So it would be just like a USB interface... you wouldn't get FireWire speeds.
The benefit of a FireWire device is that it transfers audio data more reliably and faster. So the USB converter would just be cancelling that out. I mean, technically you could do it... but it would be a waste of money, b/c you wouldn't benefit from FireWire speeds, feel me?
If you want FireWire, you'd need to see if your laptop has an expansion port on it, like a PCI Express port (i'm not sure if Apple has these, i'm a PC). And then you'd buy a $50-60 FireWire PCIe card.

Last edited:
Four tracks of audio w/ USB? Uhhh no.. lol, you can get much more than that.
Firewire is much better, but that information about USB is way incorrect.

Have you tried it ?
Tell me what device and how many tracks successfully recorded .
I seem to recall the problems stem from USB being delivered in packets whereas firewire is stream .

Have you tried it ?
Tell me what device and how many tracks successfully recorded .
I seem to recall the problems stem from USB being delivered in packets whereas firewire is stream .

I just traded my Macbook for the Macbook Pro and picked up the M-Audio 2626 firewire interface and the firewire cable doesnt fit right into my mac.

It's probably a 4 terminal socket on the mac and a six terminal lead .
You should be able to get the correct lead and be fine to go :)

Did you buy the interface from a shop ?
If so , then phone them and explain and they might have a cable there that will work , don't forget to haggle for a free cable :)

Back