turntable w/laptop question

TrIp*E

wazup y'all, here's the 411. I want to try and make something work with 1 turntable and a laptop, just for the sake of originality. I've seen it done b4 but I don't really know anything about how to set that up. To tell y'all the truth I don't even have a laptop yet but I have to get one for my job...now i'm rambling so here r the questions:

1. what connections will I need? (from mixer to PC)
2. PC specifications ie. RAM, special ports, MHz, OS can I get by with as little as 32mb with a 133MHz proccesor and a 16x cd-rom & win95?
3. what are some good programs for PC? ie. Rebirth
4. am I funkin crazy!

the idea to do this just kinda popped in my head like no more than 20 minutes ago so I haven't done any reasearch on it at all but I figured this would be the best place, any feedback would really help me out.

much love to my onlinedj family
Trip-E

Hi!

If you're going to use apps (such as ReBirth) in the laptop, I think you REALLY should get a bit more powerful computer. If your budjet can handle (with a powerful laptop), try Propellerheads new software Reason, ReBirth mods are more difficult to use than Reason. With Reason you can use straight your own samples as .wav or .aif.

And I'm sorry that I don't understand this, but what do you mean with "from mixer to PC"? Do you mean sound cards or hardware mixer?

-trac

trac

Yo, the specifications I listed were just examples I don't really plan on using something like that exactly but what would u recommend? same situation with rebirth, just an example. As for mixer to PC I'm talkin hardware mixer.

props
Trip-E

ok, it's now very clear, sorry for being such a messup (and no, it didn't take 2 days to figure that out :D).

1. if you only use tt, mixer and pc together, you don't need special connections in your pc. just a basic sound card i/o puts will be alright (Line Out, Line In, perhaps Mic too). but remember that most audioprograms require good latency handling from sound card and the bad thing is that basic laptops might have sound card as integrated into motherboard. :(

2. well, depending on programs (and using them together), i think it would be better if you get AT LEAST P2, 233 MHz, 64 Mb RAM and Win98. CD-ROM speed isn't so big thing... but of course: more speed -> better.

3. ReBirth is great program if you want to add some 303, but for more samples and stuff, try Reason or FruityLoops. if you want to record your vinyl sessions into wav-files, try Cool Edit Pro or Cool Edit 2000 (this one is cheaper).

4. no you're not! :D

hope this helps at least a bit...
-trac

umm...

Well, to sample stuff into the PC it will be just get a double female RCA to headphone jack lead (they exist - or get a double male RCA to headphone jack and use a femalae double RCA connector plug to connect the output of deck to PC soundcard). You can get PCI slot in soundcards for a PC, not sure how to configure, basic requirements best models etc).
If just wishing to rock with rebirth and reason and acid say, live, why not just take the lineout of the PC into a mixer (with a headphone jack to guitar jack lead), and the deck into the mixer, and fade between any ol' way you can.
I rent a P3 600mhz for 56 bucks (Australian) a week.
But i like to record on a G4 protools setup, burn CD's etc. Gonna make it big with original radattak muzi stile one day soon.

point #1 on trip*e's list

i am thinking of trying a similar configuration, hooking up a tt to my computer. i have a desktop with sufficient processor and memory and SBlive card.

it was mentioned that a mixer between the tt and pc is a solution for the connection. what is the difference between using a mixer to make the connection and an amp? which would be prefered? any other comments?

Laptops?

If u ask me, I'll say give-up. Some reasons:

1.) Laptops are always slower than their desktop counterparts with the same specs.

2.) Just a laptop won't be enough. Be sure to pour out more bucks. That built in audio-out will never work. U need external devices like a USB or PCMCIA card.

Alright yall, here's the skinny

I use 2 tables and a laptop, I also have all kinds of other peripherals, a minidisc, little kids robot voice changer, cd players, etc... Anything with a freakin audio out jack you can make work, of course it is nice to have a pc with an awesome sound card but my sony laptop (500 Mhz Vaio book) works fine Im tellin ya.

I have a numark 4ch mixer. i have the 2 main tables (I hardly ever use the 3rd one) hooked up to channels 2 & 3 then I have the other 2 channels with RCA--->Miniplugs laying out so you can jack whatever you want with the miniplugs and mix away. For the laptop I use for mixing Mp3s Mixvibes, MJ Studio, PCDJ etc. I usually use the older version of mixvibes because I have figured out a way to make it work the way I want it to where I can beatmatch really easily now. It takes fiddling around to figure out how to get it to work well though, way more difficult that beatmatching from a turntable but once you get it you are fine. The laptop has the built in sound out and I have not had a problem with it. you can use **** like fruity loops and what not. I also use SoundForge and **** to do sampling and to grab a sample beat from a track and loop it or reverse, flange or apply filters to it and re-mix it abck into a mix, or to make **** for mixing into later mixes. You can also use SoundForge or **** like Protools and SoundEdit16 for Mac to edit and perfect mix CDs say you **** up one little blend on a Mix session and you dont want to do it over you can splice the 2 tracks together from a perfect mix of them and then have an edited perfect cd from it. Anyway have fun whatever you get into. Having a laptop saves me some $$ at the record shop for sure. You can get ANYTHING on Mp3 you are looking for and then some!

Go napster!!!!

Yah I heard that Sony Vaio gives decent audio outs but its rather expensive I think the lowest model cost USD2K wereas u can get a different brand for USD1K and get Whami Box for USD500 and that's more audio power for you.

I dont know how much my vaio book cost. It's a perk from my job. But I know you CAN get them for as low as 1K-$1300 on www.ubid.com I get all KINDS of gear off there really cheap, I got a minidisc recorder for 120 when they were going for 300 in the stores and a Satelite dish for 50 when they were selling for 250 in the stores :-)

Personally I own a Emagic AW-2 soundcard for my desktop PC, and it's great for my purposes :) .
But now I consider to invest in a...VAIO laptop!!!

Well, maybe somebody has a word on laptop sound cards. I mean, you HAVE checked out a few, at least from curiousity?...

One thing that would be truly dope is if they made a sound card for the PC slot that had dual miniplug outputs, (or even one and buy 2 of them) because then you could beatmatch mp3s to other mp3s with mixvibes or whatever other software and cue in the headphones without messing up the mix.

Back