TF? You know who this is for...

if it runs windows then yes you will be able to. support is on my list of questions but I assume there can not be any support until a company is created and that can not be created until this is a actual product but is still a question none the less and I am still waiting on a few more answers.

Ain't nothing wrong with a Miko or Neko ... they are fine products. Competition is a good thing. I know that the TF is different enough that it will appeal to some, and not to others.

j.troup said:
What about the important thing....SUPPORT??

3 things:

1) 24/7 phone support

2) Remote login support (similar to what OL offers, but advanced diagnostics available to the online support tech)

3) Optional remote backup service. Yes, your entire TF can be backed up to remote servers. (Honestly, this does work very well ... I know what you're thinking about mulit-GB libraries, etc. ... it just works, trust me) We can overnight you replacement system or data disks ... with all your stuff on it.

Obitheincredible said:
... Also why not reaper as a installed daw?
There's nothing technical preventing Reaper from running on a TF. We are trying - however - to stick to some pretty clear design goals and principles. Chief among these is that we really need to avoid - from a marketing standpoint - anything which makes the TF look like a copy of an OL product.

We don't want to push the TF as "just a cheaper version of a Miko" ... because it's really NOT. Even with some of the clear technical and perfomance advantages of the TF ... things get lost in the "fog of marketing" and you never know what people get fixated on. I and my team understand quite well that the simple fact that the OL products have been around longer will lead some to conclude that they are better, somehow "more professional" or "the real thing".

One of the ways we need to do that is to have a clearly different product branding strategy. That's why there will be at least one, (and probably three or four) custom "TF Only" VST instruments, lots of exclusive content, etc.

We are also clear that as a company, we don't want to be "freeware grifters" ... meaning that we fully intend to compensate the authors of some of the better freeware products instead of just including their stuff on the TF and giving back nothing to the developers.

Dealing with integrity with both our customers and suppliers is an absolute LAW with my team. We could easily include Reaper, pay Cockos nothing and just include a section in the manual asking the customer to pony up the licensing fee ... not gonna go there, because it makes for an awkward relationship between all the parties involved. We have similar feelings about "LE" or "Lite" editions of various software ... we think that's sortof cheating when you are promising your customers a premium product.

What this means for our customers is that we won't just be throwing in "all sorts of stuff", but only very good "ethically grown" stuff ... more than you need, all top quality and no surprises or funny business.

Reaper is a fine product, and we may yet decide to include it. It's just one of those hard decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I see. I can understand that outlook and commend you on a different approach. This thing is really exciting to see come into a mental picture in my head. It seems like you got great support lined up. Are we talking about servers specifically set aside just for back up? would it be a optional thing to set up for a extra price? how much space could we set aside? and the remote desktop would that just be the basic windows remote desktop or would you be using a differnt program such as pc anywhere or hdx? And what does TF stand for?

Much respect for wanting to support the authors of the software you use.

I like the backup idea a lot, provided the technical details are all worked out, and you have some sort of policy in the event of a data compromise. It would really be bad for a 3rd party to get access to master copies and such.

Looks like you've got a good head on your shoulders, looking forward to seeing an actual product though, vaporware is such a downer.

its gonna be to sick...i want one...in 10 years they might make a dizzy version of the TF(timbaland miko) hahaha

Obitheincredible said:
... It seems like you got great support lined up. Are we talking about servers specifically set aside just for back up? would it be a optional thing to set up for a extra price? how much space could we set aside? ?
We'll be using a rock-solid, secure, 3rd-party service used by banks, accountants, video & audio producers, etc. Service starts at $10/month depending upon amount of data. Most customers will probably opt for something between a $10 and $20 level of service. It's also pretty close to "real time" ... if you are actually in the middle of a recording session and your system takes a dive ... you can probably recover to within 30 minutes of the crash time.

Obitheincredible said:
and the remote desktop would that just be the basic windows remote desktop or would you be using a differnt program such as pc anywhere or hdx? ?
Another 3rd-party setup. Aside from remote control, advanced diagnostics and even configuration changes can be done in the background while you continue to work. We can actually (with permission of course) push down updated drivers, additional content, etc. ... you could wake up one day and find all your VSTs and programs updated to the latest fully tested versions (if you like) ... that's the kind of thing we are toying around with.

Obitheincredible said:
And what does TF stand for?
Can't tell you ... we're in the middle of securing a trademark right now.

WhiteKidsLoveHipHop said:
... looking forward to seeing an actual product though, vaporware is such a downer.

Me too! I have 2 prototypes which work fabulously, but seeing actual production units going into foam-packed boxes is the target!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow great stuff lined up! So user would have to be connected to a high speed type of cennection but that is a good trade off. What are you going to do about a GUI?
and anti virus?
And I am also curious on a tilt screen similar to the mpc stuff. I know that is my biggest complaint on the OL stuff. Is it going to be a touch screen? Also you should consider a HDMI out because just about everybody I have seen recently with a external monitor is getting a HDTV of sorts for the OL stuff. at least a dvi besides the standard monitor connector.

Obitheincredible said:
... So user would have to be connected to a high speed type of cennection
I don't want to get to techy, but we are using what are known as bit-level/block-level differential backups ... so just about any kind of DSL, cable or other broadband should be fine.

Obitheincredible said:
What are you going to do about a GUI?
Surprisingly, we felt that OL overdid it on this point. We are just adding a simple "launcher" type of interface widget and streamlining up the desktop. That way you can launch anything with a single click - no nested menus - and still have complete access to anything in Windows.

Obitheincredible said:
and anti virus?
We hate this aspect of Windows based computing. We are working with a vendor to see if we can make their AV product "environment aware" so that it stays out of the way of other programs.

Obitheincredible said:
And I am also curious on a tilt screen similar to the mpc stuff. I know that is my biggest complaint on the OL stuff. Is it going to be a touch screen? Also you should consider a HDMI out because just about everybody I have seen recently with a external monitor is getting a HDTV of sorts for the OL stuff. at least a dvi besides the standard monitor connector.

I can't say anything about the built-in screen ... it'll be something of a surprise ... some will hate it, some will love it. There will be support for up to 2 external monitors. HDMI is a must for customers doing film/TV editing work (like me!)

wow this product really sounds exciting, i cant wait to see mock ups/prototypes!

if it runs windows then yes you will be able to. support is on my list of questions but I assume there can not be any support until a company is created and that can not be created until this is a actual product but is still a question none the less and I am still waiting on a few more answers.
is this a real keyboard???

Back