Technics 1200 - Built-In Preamp?

B

bonethug

hey everyone. im looking to setup just 1 technics 1200 turntable for home listening. right now i just have an old realistic am/fm receiver (with phono mag jack) and a portable cd player i hook up through the aux jack, and some sony and panasonic speakers. I am wondering if the technics turntable will require a phono preamp or does it come with one built in? or will the receiver i have take care of all this for me?

what im asking is does the technics 1200 have a built in pre-amp or should i buy one? would buying one sound better than using the one built in a 70's Realistic receiver?

There are several inputs on the receiver, yes? You hook the cd player into the Aux and there are others? If there are others, yes, you can use the receiver, you'll just have to change the input on the receiver.

No, not built in... you'll need a mixer as a pre, your receiver as an amp, or something else to get the music to your speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah the reciever has "phono mag" inputs. but its sort of a low-end reciever so it may be really ****ty. any suggestions on a good phono preamp that goes well with 1200's??? (incase i get ****ty sound quality using my receiver)...

If I bought a seperate phono preamp then i would no longer plug into the "phono mag" jacks on my reciever, i would have to plug into the AUX jacks, correct?

The 1200 does not have a preamp built-in, however the RIAA preamp on your existing receiver should suffice. Whether it will sound good coming out of the receiver depends on the receiver. But, I think the difference with a separate preamp running through the same receiver will be negligeble. If you decide to go that route, then you'd hook it up into the AUX inputs and not the Phono inputs.

The 1200 does not have a preamp built-in, however the RIAA preamp on your existing receiver should suffice. Whether it will sound good coming out of the receiver depends on the receiver. But, I think the difference with a separate preamp running through the same receiver will be negligeble. If you decide to go that route, then you'd hook it up into the AUX inputs and not the Phono inputs.
so . . . when do we use the phone inputs???

krushing says: When you connect a turntable w/o a preamp directly to the amp.

so I have to have a pre amp to connect a technics 1200 mk2 (according to lee miran 2100 do not have a preamp) to a pioneer sa-8800 mk II amplifier?????

the only thing that would beat out that price, would be a yard sale [FONT=&quot]here[/FONT]. i say go for it. i'd ask around first though, theres always that kid who thought scratching was easy and bought two of those. thats how i got my TT1625 for 20 bucks

Back