sound card/interface - channels question

my questiom is probably dumb, but im confused, im trying to run a 8 or 10 track home studio with logic 5.1 on my pc, im buying a 24 bit sound card for this but if the sound card comes with two audio ins and two outs, will i be able to use an audio interface with 8 channels and record 8 tracks at once, will i be able to edit them all seperatly if my sound card only has 2 audio ins but my interface has 8??

hope someone understands what i just wrote, any help would be appreciated,
thanks

zombiesaregoodforyou said:
if the sound card comes with two audio ins and two outs, will i be able to use an audio interface with 8 channels and record 8 tracks at once, will i be able to edit them all seperatly if my sound card only has 2 audio ins but my interface has 8??
With a 2 input soundcard you will only be able to record 2 seperate sources at once. If you get an soundcard with 8 inputs then you will be able to record 8 seperate tracks at once.
Editing is a different story, you can edit as many tracks as you want at one time regardless of the amount of soundcard inputs available.
Multichannel soundcards are commonly called interfaces, what are you referring to when you say...
"my sound card only has 2 audio ins but my interface has 8"
For example the Edirol UA-1000 could be considered a 10input soundcard but is more appropriately called a 10input interface.

Last edited by a moderator:
what i meant to ask was can i use a 10 channel in and out interface and record ten tracks at once even though my internal sound card only has 2

(that site there is relly helpful)

audio interface = soundcard

It's the same thing. :)

A "soundcard" per se tends to be internal (inside your PC), but sometimes comes with a breakout box (or external interface) which has all the physical connections on it.

You can also get self-contained "audio interfaces", e.g. rack-mounted ones, which are effectively just external soundcards (and connect to your PC via Firewire or whatever).

Last edited:
Back